Messed up the chicken on my OTG

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
11l6k2h.jpg

1st attempt. The breasts were tuff and the leg quarters were gamie and under done. I temp checked with a therma pen and it all probed 165* or higher. Guess I 1) did not let it cook long enough, 2) did not check temp in the right places and 3) I think the foil may have messed up the heat flow around to bird.

I welcome any input anyone may have as to how I can improve because I sure want another crack at it.

Kept grill temp at 350* the whole time btw.

Thanks!

Chicken quarters to me are like a California homocide --187*

There's been quite a bit of discussion about young fast grown chicks their bones not setting up, red juices being ok as long as they temp etc. I just can't eat red chicken juice- it's a white meat not a pink juice meat. IMHO ymmv

Game aroma? Not sure about that one. If it doesn't fit- you must acquit

Chicken quarters to me are like a California homocide --187*

There's been quite a bit of discussion about young fast grown chicks their bones not setting up, red juices being ok as long as they temp etc. I just can't eat red chicken juice- it's a white meat not a pink juice meat. IMHO ymmv

Game aroma? Not sure about that one. If it doesn't fit- you must acquit

No it was fresh just not done. gamie may be the wrong word. And yes these were some big pieces.

I would say the foil was a problem too. I did bone in quarters 2 weeks ago and built the fire in the center (used the MasterTouch charcoal bins in a vortex like arrangement) and put the chix around the outside. Legs were easily in the 180s by the time the breast was in 165 range. Crisped up the skin direct over the center at the end.

Could have gone a bit longer but was tender and juicy. Bout an hour and 15 min total. Dome temp running about 350-400.

Ditch the foil.

Was trying to keep the grease from dripping down into the pit. Won't do that again!

^^^ Yep, don't worry 'bout that chicken grease, it will go out with the ash. FWIW, it didn't look like it sucked! If I had to pick one thing I picked up from the Brethren as a newbie it would be to not overcook chicken; I never go above 165* in a breast or 175* in a thigh.

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, don't worry 'bout that chicken grease, it will go out with the ash. FWIW, it dispdn't look like it sucked! If I had to pick one thing I picked up from the Brethren as a newbie it would be to not overcook chicken; I never go above 165* in a breast or 175* in a thigh.

Indeed. I was probing for IT in all the wrong places.

It cooked better on top and middle but was lacking at the foil level. It sure did not look bad. I thought we had it!

2wqr9d3.jpg

Mike, have you smoked chicken pieces like those on your WSM?

Like the guys comments after this, I cook mine to a higher temp.

Maybe a brine may be in order...?? I do this for the bigger pieces.

Last edited:
Here's my two cents...

Ditch the foil and put the quarters closest to the fire, like Keith, I take my quarters to 185°/190° and the breast is moist as all get out...

Chalk it up to live and learn...

My first favorite chicken memory was giving up all I thought I knew about smoking chicken and running with advice from posters on this site. No more low & slow. No more water pan.

Got the WSM up to about 500 before I put these birds on. The temp kind of worked its way down to 400 after taking the lid off to put them on and again when I flipped them at 20-25 minutes. Used a mix of cherry and pecan. Took 70 minutes total.

u4a0ypl.jpg

EpK59rB.jpg

YpeuuEp.jpg

They were perfectly done. It was like chicken nirvana. Plenty moist and crispy skin.

My first favorite chicken memory was giving up all I thought I knew about smoking chicken and running with advice from posters on this site. No more low & slow. No more water pan.

Got the WSM up to about 500 before I put these birds on. The temp kind of worked its way down to 400 after taking the lid off to put them on and again when I flipped them at 20-25 minutes. Used a mix of cherry and pecan. Took 70 minutes total.

u4a0ypl.jpg

EpK59rB.jpg

YpeuuEp.jpg

They were perfectly done. It was like chicken nirvana. Plenty moist and crispy skin.

Very Nice indeed! I could do the WSM gig but trying to Master the OTG for smaller cooks.

I'm hearing a wide variance in doneness temps. I suspect that has something to do with length of time cooking and at what temp. I've heard everything from 165* to 190*. That's a pretty big swing.

I've been using The Big Easy Oil less turkey fryer for years for chicks and turkeys. I take whole birds to 172* in the deep breast and never had a problem. Done to perfection. Just trying to Master the OTG....and I will.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Back