5 BBQ Myths Debunked (video)

I was wondering why my brisket never tasted like pecans or cherries.

I enjoy your videos - keep 'em coming!

I disagree with the claim of different woods having the same smoke taste, but other than that I haven't really tested the other claims. Maybe to some people the smoke doesn't taste different from wood to wood but I can tell a difference.

I disagree with the claim of different woods having the same smoke taste, but other than that I haven't really tested the other claims. Maybe to some people the smoke doesn't taste different from wood to wood but I can tell a difference.

Have you compared them in side by side test?

I also disagree with different smoke woods having the same taste.

Personal case in point: Peach

I can taste the sweetness of the smoke - it differs from all the woods I use to smoke. I can truly taste the difference.

I also disagree with different smoke woods having the same taste.

Personal case in point: Peach

I can taste the sweetness of the smoke - it differs from all the woods I use to smoke. I can truly taste the difference.

Can you taste it or smell it?

I have but not under controlled conditions that would be considered empirical evidence. One pork shoulder smoked with hickory on my OK Joe, the other smoked on my Weber kettle with pecan.

The pecan had a different, sweeter taste to it than the hickory.

No rub or seasoning was used with either one, it was just pork and wood smoke. I was trying to decide if one or the other would make enough of a difference to warrant making it my one and only source for smoke. And sometimes I have a little too much time on my hands.

I have but not under controlled conditions that would be considered empirical evidence. One pork shoulder smoked with hickory on my OK Joe, the other smoked on my Weber kettle with pecan.

The pecan had a different, sweeter taste to it than the hickory.

No rub or seasoning was used with either one, it was just pork and wood smoke. I was trying to decide if one or the other would make enough of a difference to warrant making it my one and only source for smoke. And sometimes I have a little too much time on my hands.

Then the question is dod you associate lighter with sweeter because pecan is lighter smoke. Possible also that the meat tasted sweeter because there was less smoke?

Good discussion!

Then the question is dod you associate lighter with sweeter because pecan is lighter smoke. Possible also that the meat tasted sweeter because there was less smoke?

Good discussion!

This isn't a discussion, I'm giving you a chance to save yourself before THEY find you!

It's hard to say, but I think I can tell a true difference between different kinds of smoke. Maybe because one profile is lighter than the other, maybe not.

I think we should all get together and do blind taste tests. Lots and lots of taste tests. Over and over again.

But you didn't give up the secret IT of when a pork butt is done :biggrin1:

The Illuminati is not going to be happy with you cause your right!

With regards to wood and flavor profiles, if a person can't distinguish between hickory smoked, or mesquite, then their palate has issues.

I'm sorry, but saying that wood is wood would be like saying fruit is fruit, therefore an apple and a peach taste the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have. Oak, hickory, mesquite apple and cherry. Apple and oak are pretty subtle and I might not be able to pick them out in a blind test. Cherry is the most distinctive. Surprisingly, the cherry flavor is in the wood and heat stable. It carries over into the food and can be tasted in mild flavored foods like chicken and fish.

I disagree with all of them and here's why: if doing any of those helps someone to produce what they feel is good BBQ, then it matters to them. When you start defining what is and isn't important in producing good BBQ, it becomes a homogenized product. A good example is Competition BBQ. People are told over and over to use a certain rub, sauce, meat etc etc if they want to win. Therefore everything becomes the same. So why those 5 things don't to matter to you, they matter to someone and is part of the reason they like to cook.

I think you missed the point pappy, he's not saying you have to do this, this AND this for it to be BBQ. Quite the opposite actually, he saying the rules don't apply, like if "you ain't cooking at 225° it ain't BBQ!" He's sayin good Q can be achieved at 450°, but know YOUR cooker!

Last edited:
But you didn't give up the secret IT of when a pork butt is done :biggrin1:

The Illuminati is not going to be happy with you cause your right!

Here's the secret...

*looking around*

It's done when...

Do I hear ticking?

It's done when the bone slides out clean.

*running away blending into the crowd*

Back