Recommendations for I-95 road trip

chris_todd

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So in February, I'm taking a road trip from Baltimore, MD down to the Florida Keys, traveling via I-95. I'll be attending the Winter Star Party (amateur astronomy is one of my other obsessions) down there, but of course since I'll be going through the heart of BBQ country, I want to sample as many great places as possible, and I'm looking for recommendations.

My main criteria for this trip is that the place has to be close to I-95, say within 20 miles, though I might be willing to go a little farther if it's really great or legendary. And obviously, south of Baltimore and north of Key West. :-D

So far, I'm definitely going to the following places:
  • Sweatman's in Holly Hill (famous for whole hog, and right off 95). While it's only open Fridays and Saturdays, I'll be leaving Baltimore on a Saturday morning, so I can easily be there for dinner.
  • Rock n Roll Ribs in Coconut Creek, FL. Okay, I'm only going here because I'm an Iron Maiden fan, and this place is owned by Nicko McBrain, their drummer. :-D But hey, it's a BBQ place right off I-95, so it meets my criteria!
  • Skylight Inn, Ayden, NC.

I'm also looking at Southern Soul BBQ in Saint Simon's Island, GA.

But I don't have anything in Florida other than Rock n Roll Ribs. I *know* there's good BBQ in Florida, so c'mon, folks, I need some recommendations. And since I'll be spending a week in the Keys, I'd be particularly interested in any good BBQ places between Key Largo and Key West.

I also need recommendations for Richmond, since I'll hit there right around lunch time the first day. I've done Q Barbecue (Tuffy Stone's joint) as well as Alamo BBQ (Awesome BBQ tacos!) before, so while I could visit one of them again, I'm looking for someplace awesome I haven't been before.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your recommendations!

Stay hungry, my friends!
Chris

I always hit Q BBQ when passing through Richmond. It's Tuffy Stone's restaurant. There is one just off I-95

http://www.qbarbeque.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x89b13ddd2546999b:0xb5c122aa47bef661

Ooops, didn't see that you'd been there! :doh: I've been to a number of others. The most popular was King's but the mustard was just too heavy for my taste. I had Buz and Ned's but felt completely ripped off on mediocre food. I recall I spent about $17 and left hungry. There are several others I've tried, but Q was by far the best.

If you go to Ayden, you're gonna have to break your 'within 20 miles of I95' stipulation.

In Wilson, NC there is Parker's BBQ on Hwy 301 (or it was the last time I was there 30 or so years ago). It's not world class que but they give you a decent plateful. Try it with Brunswick stew and potatoes and corn sticks.

Definitely recommend Shuler's BBQ in Latta, SC!! Hands down the best BBQ buffet I've ever had and that includes Sweatmans.BBQ, fried pork chops and chicken on the lunch buffet and for dinner they do smoked chicken...annnd ribs! And their ribs are mighty tasty. The sides are as close to homemade as I've had.

Have a great time!

+1 on the corn sticks from Parkers. Yes you will be breaking pretty far off 95 to go to Skylight Inn. But that's your call (I'd rather go to B's BBQ, but thats another story).

I had a hard time finding good Q off 95. Most of it takes your pretty far off the interstate. Plenty of mediocre to poor Q to be found though.

I am in Richmond and I hear folks recommend Q, it is one of my least favorites here. Try Buzz and Nedds, the boulevard location is the best. They do tend to oversauce their ribs, so I always ask for light or no sauce and have it on the side. They have great collards too

https://buzandneds.com/

I guess seeing Gores post, it's obviously to each their own. I tend not to worry about price, Q is just too much a strip mall type of place for me. Their collards suck!

You can always try "Maurice's BBQ Piggy Park" just off I-95 in Santee, SC.
Their Q is decent if you like mustard sauce, and they give you PLENTY.
PLUS
the stop is worth it just to see the propaganda just inside the front door. It is one place that hasn't surrendered (the rest of the South pretty much did in 1865).

You also need to stop in Fayetteville NC at Fatback's BBQ and Rib Shack! Corey has some awesome ribs!!

I know it's likly late but I went to Buzz and Nedds Tuesday and was thoroughly dissapointed. I have been a fan in the past, I had pulled pork and brisket. There were cubes in the pulled pork where someone had used a knife. It was also way over sauced. I'd say at least they are inconsistent ...

My main criteria for this trip is that the place has to be close to I-95, say within 20 miles, though I might be willing to go a little farther if it's really great or legendary. And obviously, south of Baltimore and north of Key West. :-D

You have been given some really locations. There's a couple around Savannah and Brunswick, GA, but I don't know the names. They are right on I-85. The only other thing that I can offer from your criteria paragraph, above. I don't know anything about BBQ north of Baltimore, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about anything south of Key West. LOL

I know it's likly late but I went to Buzz and Nedds Tuesday and was thoroughly dissapointed. I have been a fan in the past, I had pulled pork and brisket. There were cubes in the pulled pork where someone had used a knife. It was also way over sauced. I'd say at least they are inconsistent ...

Glad to see you are finally coming around about Buzz and Neds!

If you end up leaving late or get stuck in traffic, you can try Dixie Bones in Woodbridge. They have another place in Fredericksburg they opened up, but when I went to that one it wasn't a full operation -- not sure if it is now. It's been some time since I've been there, but I remember them as being solid.

I've been to the Dixie Bones in Woodbridge and it was pretty good (not great, but it's hard to find any "great" bbq in that area!).

Yes, good is good to find though, and I wouldn't turn them down. They're just a notch below Q BBQ. :thumb: There are definitely some good menu items, their stuffed baked potatoes, for instance. The major disadvantage is they are only about an hour from my home.

If you want to take a scenic detour and avoid the traffic on I95, you might consider going through Charlottesville. In the very small town of Gordonsville about 20 minutes north is BBQ Exchange. They are definitely in my top 5.

http://www.bbqex.com/

Chefs are CIA trained (and it shows) who wanted to open up a BBQ joint in a small town. It's usually about 30 minutes longer going that way, but it can even be faster, as I95 can have huge back-ups.

(I'm not sure if Tom has been to this one).

Back