Traveling to Huntsville, AL

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a team traveling to Huntsville and have been tasked with finding the best BBQ joint(s)? It doesn't have to be fancy, I'm good with sending them to a hole in the wall if the 'cue is worthy.

Thanks in advance​

Don't know about Huntsville, proper, but Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur (The one on 6th Ave/HWY 31) is a good option. The chicken and smoked turkey especially are good. The pulled pork is good too, but the turkey is a must try.

I like Whitts, too. Also on 6th av. in Decatur.

Last time I was home it had burned and they are not building back. Think it has been out for a little while.

My personal favorite by far in the Huntsville area is Chuckwagon (located in Madison, which is just west of Huntsville city limits). Pork and brisket was excellent last time I tried it. Moe's Original BBQ is decent, I like their smoked wings and turkey, pork is good too. The Greenbrier restaurant that I call the "old" restaurant is still open. It's the one I remember going to as a small child (I'm 49, BTW). It's located in the middle of farm land with an old (active) cotton gin next door. It's pretty good, they also have really good catfish and serve all you can eat hushpuppies that are GREAT. The place looks like a dump from the outside, but it's good. The Greenbrier that actually burned down was in a newer commercial style building on a service road of I-565, which is no longer in business.

I've lived in Decatur all my life and I would not recommend Big Bob's if you want great BBQ. Their BBQ is just OK. I guess it would be good to go there just to say you've been there. If you do go, I'd recommend the chicken and with the white sauce. Also, try their pies, they are very good.

Enjoy your stay in Huntsville!

Thomas' BBQ in Madison on Hwy 72 / & Big Bob Gibson's (in Decatur).

I would like to add that a friend of mine has a BBQ Truck in south Huntsville ( he cooks competition BBQ ) Pig Time BBQ I think. If you would like I can get in touch with him and get the address he's set up at. Just let me know.

In addition to what I earlier posted , Thomas' is an old BBQ joint with wood piles out back and Big Bob Gibson is a commercial type joint with a handful of locations. Hope this helps , I live in Georgia but spent 10 years in the Huntsville/ Madison area

Thomas BBQ closed a year ago. Go to Chuckwagon. Old Greenbrier is still open, but I would go for catfish and hush puppies not BBQ. Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur is worth the 30 minute drive. I live here and eat BBQ every week with customers. Any questions just let me know. We also have a good number of craft brewery tap rooms worth visiting.

I am on a keyboard instead of my phone so I will offer more info for you:

Chuckwagon BBQ ( Texas style BBQ ) there is always a line at lunch, and seating is at a premium. Worth it. It is in Madison.

Gibsons BBQ - They are somehow related to the Big Bob Gibson I think but only by family. BBQ is good, I would not put it on the same level as Big Bob. There are 2 Gibsons BBQ in Hsv. One is the Son to the owner of the other one.

Dreamland BBQ - This is a chain and is related to the legendary Dreamland in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Not nearly as good as the Tuscaloosa location, and can be hit or miss. Dreamland is all about their sauce, which is good. Originally Dreamland sold meat and white bread. Their sign said No Beans, No Potato Salad, Dont Ask. That has changed over the years and they have sides.

Smokeys in Madison - Went once about 7 years ago. Not my favorite.

Little Pauls BBQ in Hsv across from Hospital. Small food is good, people rave about his brisket. I have never had good brisket there, but the other stuff is good.

Lawlers BBQ - A chain, they dont cook their meat. It comes to them in a vac sealed bag and they warm it up. Honestly it is not bad, and they do a good business.

Golden Rule BBQ - Madison - Chain, average on a good day.

Moes BBQ - I am not sure why, but everytime I have been here it has been good. Not great, but good. I eat here about once a month and no real complaints.

Change of pace: If you want Hot Wings, the place to go is Crickets in Madison. Wings are great everytime. Place is crowded at lunch but seating is ample and a quick turnover on tables.

Depending on what part of town you will be in, I can assist with other places if you would like. Or if you are looking for something nicer. I can suggest staying near Bridge Street if you can. Good location and close to a lot of things.

My personal favorite by far in the Huntsville area is Chuckwagon (located in Madison, which is just west of Huntsville city limits). Pork and brisket was excellent last time I tried it. Moe's Original BBQ is decent, I like their smoked wings and turkey, pork is good too. The Greenbrier restaurant that I call the "old" restaurant is still open. It's the one I remember going to as a small child (I'm 49, BTW). It's located in the middle of farm land with an old (active) cotton gin next door. It's pretty good, they also have really good catfish and serve all you can eat hushpuppies that are GREAT. The place looks like a dump from the outside, but it's good. The Greenbrier that actually burned down was in a newer commercial style building on a service road of I-565, which is no longer in business.

I've lived in Decatur all my life and I would not recommend Big Bob's if you want great BBQ. Their BBQ is just OK. I guess it would be good to go there just to say you've been there. If you do go, I'd recommend the chicken and with the white sauce. Also, try their pies, they are very good.

Enjoy your stay in Huntsville!

Yep. That's the one I was thinking of. We used to go there for the catfish especially when I was a kid (I'm 57). How long has it been since you've gone to Gibson's? It's improved quite a bit in the last couple of years since the new cook was hired. The pulled pork is better than it was, and the turkey is quite good. The ribs, not so much. For a long time I was pretty disappointed whenever I'd go home to visit.

Honestly I am biased about the Gibsons in Huntsville. They are pro feral cats and feed them in the parking lot. So usually the cats are all over the place, and that just drives me nuts. They do have good pie. This is at the location on Memorial Parkway. David Gibsons which is on Jordan lane, I like. I get the catfish there and sometimes the pulled pork. People complain the interior is outdated. Who cares, the food is good, and I am not eating the early 70's decor. We do ride over to Big Bobs in Decatur about every other week. It is my wifes favorite, my sons favorite, and I like it. My daughter does not like it because it is smokey inside. The Old Greenbrier which is the only one left, the new Greenbrier closed a few years back. We eat there pretty regular. The hush puppies are unreal, and the kids love the free soft serve ice cream. I eat at Chuckwagon, about 3 times a month.

That part of the state is not my specialty but I will mention that there are two applications for your phone, an Alabama BBQ app that sorts restaurants by location, proximity, etc. and a North Alabama BBQ Trail app.

Chuckwagon looks like an awesome spot.

That part of the state is not my specialty but I will mention that there are two applications for your phone, an Alabama BBQ app that sorts restaurants by location, proximity, etc. and a North Alabama BBQ Trail app.

Chuckwagon looks like an awesome spot.

Heck. Ain't you just down I-65 a little ways?

Back