MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom
Default Can pellets go bad

I don’t have a pellet grill, but I do use the amnps. A few years ago I bought a large bag of hickory pellets, and I have been using them for various cooks with good results. Last week I cold smoked a pork belly and it had a slight chemical smoke flavor rather than the usual hickory flavor. I’ve done pork bellies in the past with these pellets also with good results. I store them in a plastic covered bin outside under my smoker in the summer and in the garage in the winter.
Can pellets go bad, absorb odor, moisture, or just deteriorate?
Thanks

Old 08-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

The only issue I've had with pellets is that the outside casing of a batch dissolved due to extreme moisture exposure. I was left with a lot of sawdust. I've never noticed any non-wood smell or taste and some of my bags of pellets are 6 to 9 months old before I finish using them.

I'd suggest smelling the pellets and see if you can detect any wrong odor from them and then burn a small batch of them and smell the smoke to see if that's off.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640
Kingsford SteakAger Master 15 Unit

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

How was the air flow, sounds like you might have an issue with stale smoke. Not enough airflow, to move the smoldering smoke through?? I have a bella smoke generator that I use pellets in to cold smoke. I used it in my FEC 100 (Just using the chamber, the cooker off) to cold smoke snack Sticks. It did not draw well and I got that stale, over smoked and a little chemical taste I find if I use my shirley as a cold smoke chamber is gets a better smoke flavor, as the cooker draws smoke over the food and out the stack. ???

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
2x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
2x Hunsaker Clone Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 53 x 24 Patio (we feed it big pellets)
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Yes they can go bad and I keep mine in a sealed container and off the concrete floor of my garage . The heat keeping them outside might be baking them and seasoning them more to a dry state and changing the smoke profile .

Shirley Fabrication 24 X 42 Smoker On A Modified Trailer

BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
mike243
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

aint no amount of drying going to put a chemical smell/taste in a pellet, I routinely leave multiple bags in my carport which gets really hot mid to late day unless I am out there running a fan. taste/smell the same

Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Yes. You need to keep them below 40F if using them within a month, otherwise freeze them and they will last 6 months.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
RCAlan

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
How was the air flow, sounds like you might have an issue with stale smoke. Not enough airflow, to move the smoldering smoke through?? I have a bella smoke generator that I use pellets in to cold smoke. I used it in my FEC 100 (Just using the chamber, the cooker off) to cold smoke snack Sticks. It did not draw well and I got that stale, over smoked and a little chemical taste I find if I use my shirley as a cold smoke chamber is gets a better smoke flavor, as the cooker draws smoke over the food and out the stack. ???
1. You can over smoke when there’s bad airflow/no airflow in the smoke camber being used.
2. Also, usually pellets will burn cleaner then other fuel sources, but even smoldering pellets can produce a bad smoke taste when exposed to the meat too long. Bad smoke is bad smoke, be it from Hardwood, Charcoal or pellets. Now when you add bad smoldering smoke to a smoke/cook chamber with no or very little airflow... The results can be disastrous. Proper fire and smoke management is key when using your Cold Smoke Gen. .02.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
Yes. You need to keep them below 40F if using them within a month, otherwise freeze them and they will last 6 months.
Sources?

Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #9
RCAlan

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbro View Post
I don’t have a pellet grill, but I do use the amnps. A few years ago I bought a large bag of hickory pellets, and I have been using them for various cooks with good results. Last week I cold smoked a pork belly and it had a slight chemical smoke flavor rather than the usual hickory flavor. I’ve done pork bellies in the past with these pellets also with good results. I store them in a plastic covered bin outside under my smoker in the summer and in the garage in the winter.
Can pellets go bad, absorb odor, moisture, or just deteriorate?
Thanks
To the OP... Can pellets go bad, absorb odor, moisture, or just deteriorate? If not properly stored, yes... and nothing last forever, so a good airtight container will help protect your pellet investment. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
Doug S.
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
???? Really ??? I have several bags in my garage that have never went "bad"
it's a wood product why would keeping them below 40 help
18.5" OTS Bud Light Weber Kettle
Weber Performer W/ Rotisserie
Weber Smokey Joe
Mastertouch 40" SS Electric Smoker
Doug S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

I use to buy them by the pallet/ton, it would take 5yrs to use them up. I did store them in the garage off the concrete. Won a lot of awards with those "old" pellets. Don't put me in the camp of they get old....
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
I use to buy them by the pallet/ton, it would take 5yrs to use them up. I did store them in the garage off the concrete. Won a lot of awards with those "old" pellets. Don't put me in the camp of they get old....
they don't melt over 40f?

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Are you talking pellets or meat?

My pellets are always in the attached garage or the metal smoker garage. On the concrete when I forget. Never an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Sources?

www.sarcasm101.com

Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #15
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. View Post
???? Really ??? I have several bags in my garage that have never went "bad"
it's a wood product why would keeping them below 40 help

Everything stays fresher below 40F, wood included.