MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Help pork belly first timer

Hi need some help for this weekend. My wife wants pork belly smoked on the GF this weekend. But I have never done one yet. How do I go about it. Do I take the skin off or can I just slice the skin in criss cross fashion and put salt on to help crisp the skin or is it a waste of time trying to crisp the skin.

I’m going to use one of Jeff’s rubs for the pork as I don’t have any store bought from USA rubs.
What temp should the GF be and what temp should I cook the pork belly to. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Cookb4
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Brent

I take the skin off. I prefer to cut my pork belly into roughly 1.5 inch cubes, (with all the fat it cooks down to a nice sized burnt end.) Not only does it cook faster, but there is more surface area for the rub and smoke. I generally set my smoker between 275 and 300 degrees. I pull them off the smoker when the belly is around 205 degrees and the belly is probe tender
Cookb4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
RandyNight
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Randy

I have sliced in 1.5" strips, sliced off the skin, then cut in 1.5" cubes.
Howtobbqright.com has instructions I followed.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I've done mine in strips, skin off. Whatever temp you use, just make sure to go till the fat is fully rendered and nice and clear. It will melt like butter in your mouth. Enjoy!

Old 08-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
halfcocked
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Hope you are not contemplating eating the skin with the ends unless you have steel jaws and don't mind breaking a few teeth in the process of mastication.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNight View Post
I have sliced in 1.5" strips, sliced off the skin, then cut in 1.5" cubes.
Howtobbqright.com has instructions I followed.
+1
Enjoy
HouseDoc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
CrabbyAppleton
Knows what a fatty is.

I have not tried this YET. But, I do have a pork belly in the freezer and this looks like a good way to use it.

I have watched it a bunch of times and this sandwich looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UwN03vrLJU&t=398s

Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcocked View Post
Hope you are not contemplating eating the skin with the ends unless you have steel jaws and don't mind breaking a few teeth in the process of mastication.

Would make some excellent Cracklin's if deep fried after the initial cook. Not sure i would waste pork belly for cracklin's at the price it goes round here doe.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote