Germantown Commissary ?

JohnnyP

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had ribs at Germantown Commissary Tuesday and i don't know if mine was a typical experience or an exception. Maybe someone on the forum can share their thoughts. The ribs were tough and dry and i struggled to cut and tear them apart. While i wouldn't call them shiners, there wasn't a lot of meat on the bone. On a positive note the side items, slaw, beans, deviled egg and roll were good. Given the fact that Memphis is a barbecue town and there are plenty of options i probably won't be going back to the Commissary anytime soon.

Wow, that's sad but good to know. I'm really interested to hear what folks have to say as I get to Memphis a couple times a year and I'm able to get to a couple places each trip; Germaintown Commissary was on my list.

i didn't eat there when i lived there from 1993-2000. my company used them as a caterer a couple times and that was enough to know i didn't want to spend my money there.

It has been about 5 years since I have been there (when I used to work in Memphis), but I always enjoyed the Commissary. Perhaps quality has went down as they got more exposure (appearing on TV a couple of times and such).

I get to Memphis a few times a year and like to try bbq spots i haven't been to before. I had never been to the Germantown Commissary before so i wondered about other peoples experiences. I have been to Memphis Barbecue Company , Central Barbecue , Neely's Interstate Barbecue , Corky's and a couple that are no-longer in business like Smokey Bones and so far the Commissary ranks at the bottom. In the future i plan on trying The Bar-B-Q Shop , A&R BBQ and a few others. I compare every place to my all-time favorite, The Rib Shack on Hwy. 72 in Corinth , MS .

P.S. Judging from other posts in this thread, Germantown must be afflicted with some sort of cooties.

The problem is that the quality of food at the Commissary varies so much. The first time I went, I had great ribs, so I went again. They were terrible. I've never been back.

To the thread starter, the three places I most recommend are The Bar-B-Q Shop, Cozy Corner, and Ty's Smokehouse.

Back