3 bags Portland cement @$3/bag though I can't remember exactly
3 bags sand @$5 per bag approx
1 4X8 3/4" solid core plywood @$40
8 2X4 studs @$2 each
box of 3" drywall screws
24 fire bricks (Rutland 9 X 4-1/2 X 1-1/4), i.e. 6 boxes @$25 per box
12 pavers (12 X 12 X 3) @ $3each

Total $326

Performance of the oven has been great. It takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to get the dome and the deck properly up to 950 and 750 though I like to go longer because as soon as the fire is shoved to the side to begin cooking, the deck starts to cool. That said after 2 hours with the coals to the side the deck is still about 425 or so. About perfect for bread.

Pizzas take about 90 seconds and it is critical to have a pizza turning peel and a large brush to sweep the coals to the side and clear off the ash.

The small round peel allows you to spin the pizza as it cooks as the coals are on one side of the pizza.

Reliability:
As expected due to the high heat the dome has developed hairline cracks on the outside due to the expansion and contraction. So far I don't see this as a problem.

Areas for improvement:
I wish this was better insulated and had the ability to hold the heat for days. If I was to make again I might consider putting a ceramic blanket on top of the pavers/under the fire bricks and put one over the dome and mud it in place. The reason I didn't was due to the cost. That would add about $160 and I considered this project an experiment.

Weatherproofing - I use the redneck method

I keep a tarp over this when it rains as I don't want it getting wet. I may seal the concrete but haven't looked into how well the sealer works with heat.

Thanks for sharing your build and the details Marty! Nice job. That's a pretty cool project that I'd like to take on some day.

Wow, thanks for the post. Very informative. Great looking pies too!

I so want to build one of these.

Son of a bitch. These ovens and our town on the gulf coast are legendary. In an 1909 release from A local teacher who rode the train back and forth she noticed the Italians had come, marked by these ovens, which had to be built on platform due to the wet season of the gulf coast.

I was charged with researching how to build one years ago using oral histories. they took Judd and mixed it with straw. Anyway, the project never got off of the ground and I waned to use and build one for our museum and run it for special occasions.

This is the best thread so far I have seen using alternative materials and the cost for one under my patio is within reach. Amazing Marty

That is some quality posting right there, Marty! Very impressive. Looks like I'll have to get Phubar and Padawan back over & bring 'em up for a pizza party. :hungry:

Hope things are good up there!

That is some quality posting right there, Marty! Very impressive. Looks like I'll have to get Phubar and Padawan back over & bring 'em up for a pizza party. :hungry:

Hope things are good up there!

Things are great here. It was really fun to see you guys!

I have seen these before but the ovens over here are huge. The Indians all over New Mexico and I thought all over the country all have one or two in there back yards. They use them for bread and fruit pies. They look to 6 or 7 foot tall and maybe 10 across on the big ones and then a smaller one next to it. I crossed though the Isleta Pueblo every day for about 16 years going and coming to work. I have seen many times a group women tending these monsters and it appeared it took more than one day and a couple truck loads of wood .I am told they burn them over nite or more then sweep them out start baking. I dont think they would stand the heat of a pizza oven as they are made of clay but they make fine bread.

Back