Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

So I got a question for all you folks. Do you really think you need temperature control with the LSG IVC? I tried mine once with the recommended 25 CF fan and a Heater Meter and all I saw was that the fan was blowing so hard that it was actually killing the fire instead of stoking it. Once I removed it and went back to Chris' suggested cook method things were no touch the entire time.

I've since ran 5 more cooks without a fan and every dang time once I get to within 25 degrees of my target temperature and crank the inlet and chimney down to a third it locks right in on temp and doesn't go anywhere for my entire cook.

I'm cooking in the 300 - 325 range and find I don't have to watch over it hardly at all during a cook. Seems I wasted 70 bucks to get a fan and adapter that I really didn't need.

What are you guys seeing out there?

I have a cyberq, and have used it about 7 times now on the LSG IV and it has worked superb all of those times. I also has no issues controlling temps prior to buying the cyber q though

I too have the CyberQ. I only use it for overnight cooks. For daytime cooks, I don't bother. I do sometimes have my temps creep up, but that's probably cause I am not fast enough when I have to open the door. It's never enough to really worry about.

So I got a question for all you folks. Do you really think you need temperature control with the LSG IVC? I tried mine once with the recommended 25 CF fan and a Heater Meter and all I saw was that the fan was blowing so hard that it was actually killing the fire instead of stoking it. Once I removed it and went back to Chris' suggested cook method things were no touch the entire time.

I've since ran 5 more cooks without a fan and every dang time once I get to within 25 degrees of my target temperature and crank the inlet and chimney down to a third it locks right in on temp and doesn't go anywhere for my entire cook.

I'm cooking in the 300 - 325 range and find I don't have to watch over it hardly at all during a cook. Seems I wasted 70 bucks to get a fan and adapter that I really didn't need.

What are you guys seeing out there?

I run my Mini without the fan and Guru when it's raining or threatening rain. It does a great job without the fan as long as I use briquettes. Not so much with lump. Chris said lump is inconsistent in the IVS and I totally agree with this. Especially without the Guru. There are big temp swings when you open the door without the Guru. This is not an issue if you are cooking one type of food and don't have to open the door much. I cook several different things that require different cook times quite often so this is an issue for me.

I like the option of cooking either with or without the Guru but if I had to choose only one way it would to use the Guru and fan on every cook. It just makes everything much easier. If I wanted to spend time tending a cooker I would have bought a stick burner.

I haven't used a temperature control device
I also use lump which does burn hotter and faster, but I like to cook @ 275 and higher.

I have a maze in my fb I made out of firebricks...other than a spike in temps here and there and not catching my temps on the way up, I haven't had any problems with lump.

This may or may not be relevant, but I pour my lump into large plastic totes so I can pick and choose each piece for my cook, I pack it slightly tight.

-D

I haven't used a temperature control device
I also use lump which does burn hotter and faster, but I like to cook @ 275 and higher.

I have a maze in my fb I made out of firebricks...other than a spike in temps here and there and not catching my temps on the way up, I haven't had any problems with lump.

This may or may not be relevant, but I pour my lump into large plastic totes so I can pick and choose each piece for my cook, I pack it slightly tight.

-D

Sorting lump is totally relevant. If you are going to use it then that's the only way really. I know the issues I had with lump were caused by just dumping the bag but I'm too lazy to do otherwise.

I use my guru on overnight cooks too. 225. Probably wouldn't be any issues without but I trust my guru and sleep better. I have a 10 and 25 cfm. Either one works.

Did a Large Cook yesterday.....Here's my post from another forum.

YEAH, I know....Too much wood right??? LOL
That's not what she said :)

Well this happened yesterday....Briskets and Butts are in a cooler wrapped and resting after the Smoke and begin held in the over at 170* over night (Pulled them around 2330 hrs. last night and stuck in the oven to hold till this morning).

They'll rest until around 1430 hrs. today and then I'll slice and store. Giving the parents a good bit of it as well.

Started with a LOT of wood. May have been a bit too much but I love heavy smoke taste.

853236BC-FF75-4226-8057-82D2BC89B03B_zpstpexvl6p.jpg

025DBAEA-D9E3-4D22-871E-19A640E697EB_zpsutjr9anj.jpg

My buddy at the store trims and let me trim one and then re-weighs for me at a great pice :)
Score!!!!

5524B50A-B5FF-49A8-AFC0-BA3039612305_zps8z0niecj.jpg

69E4C814-DEBA-446B-A885-CC7DCF80B0CA_zpszaijic5w.jpg

2 Full packer Briskets, 2 Boston Butts cut in half (so 4 halves), Two slabs of pork ribs, and some Chicken breast.

5A716CF1-D53B-47E5-8A3C-7A33125F1196_zpsujds0eri.jpg

I LOVE rubbing my Meat!!! :)

3DB5103F-206D-4F52-B8E3-5FC3D1EABA0F_zpsion8jqcg.jpg

Everything Going on the Smoker.

5AC2B953-9196-4F54-B0E6-6B49E0BA86E4_zpslpudhocw.jpg

0556CABE-E0FA-4E44-863C-E831944C86CF_zps3qfxxh1j.jpg

1149BAC7-AAD4-473B-8580-7FEA11FAE634_zpsvjiyd1x9.jpg

A5617F8B-3269-4021-BD82-DC5E195A1DAC_zpsgf5e0z7n.jpg

43D0F431-34CA-4166-B4D5-D49D1841E18B_zpslbmn0yru.jpg

33DE7E38-F2AE-4359-BF2D-04A07667BA0E_zpsktxfc4ho.jpg

Just before Wrapping them.......

B003B4A6-9AD3-464B-ADD5-A80351703E57_zpspjrlw8sn.jpg

F8D22543-6FE8-4D27-A47F-95F99F3F7965_zpsvhzdq9qd.jpg

584E01FD-C45D-4176-92C5-E9E12FFB1822_zpshdofswxl.jpg

BTW....I also did one brisket Fat side UP and the other Fat side DOWN.

Later today when I take out of the cooler and slice, I'm hoping to see if there's a different in a few things: Smoke ring, Smoke penetration (taste), and to see if Fat DOWN helped keep some of the drier / over cooked spots from happening.

Anybody else done this test?? I care most about the taste / smoke profile comparison.

Looks like you found a clearance sale on leftover/mixed wood. :heh: if that doesn't satisfy your taste nothing will.

lol

I just had the large piece of Cherry which is what I stuck in there first.
Then used my handle Kindling Cracker and split up a split of Hickory into the thin little splits.
Then wanted to get rid of a bag of Peach chips I had, so I sprinkled some of that on there.

Yeah, the Chicken was almost over smoked but I still liked it.

Rib I tried last night tasted perfect.

Hope the Butts and Brisket do as well.

Swole, interested in hearing if there was any difference in the briskets.

I haven't done a brisket yet in the lsg, but I want to try bludawgs method first.

-D

Swole, interested in hearing if there was any difference in the briskets.

I haven't done a brisket yet in the lsg, but I want to try bludawgs method first.

-D

Wow, thats a lot of wood. I am glad it was not oversmoked for you.

Well, I sliced them and packed them up today while giving some to my parents to take home.

Fat Side DOWN actually ended up cooking and tasting better than the Fat side UP did....I'm surprised actually.... Last one I did and most every one done so far was fat side UP, hoping the rising smoke would penetrate better.... So seeing / Tasting the fat side DOWN brisket made me believe it can be done great both ways.

Funny thing about using all that wood, My Ribs actually turned out good but if you can believe it, NOT as smokey as I would have liked. Hmmm. Weird. Still good though.

For some reason, I didn't get a good smoke ring on either of the briskets or ribs this time. Even though the taste is great. Weird. Could be the meat itself I guess since it's Not truly a "Smoke" ring anyway.

I took a few pics when slicing and a few vids. I'll post them when I can.

Back