Question about flaxseed oil and seasoning

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I think I'm in the process of screwing up the seasoning of my new blackstone griddle. The only flaxseed oil the store had was a smallish bottle of extra virgin. It was quite yellow/orange in color. I tried to use it and over the hottest spots of the burners it kinda burned on. After it cooled I pulled the scraper across it and easily scrapped off a yellow/orange powder. Almost looks like I had a major pollen problem in the middle of the seasoning session.

Not sure if I put too much on and it burned a puddle, if I'm using the wrong type of oil or if this is normal -- though I'm doubting the latter.

Looking for advice on what to do next. Thanks for the help
Bill

Smoke point for food grade Flax Oil is 250 degrees. I'm guessing you were well above that temp. I doubt you hurt it. Wipe it on wipe it off. You're looking for a microscopic thin polymerization. I seasoned mine with lots of cheap bacon and onions. I wipe the rolled steel top (not cast iron) with many various oils-lard bacon grease etc. as its cooling down and leave it.

I heat it up and wipe off with Blue lint free paper towels, add oil and start cooking.

Can't answer your question directly, but I know when Barry Bonds used flaxseed oil he knocked it out of the park!

Smoke point for food grade Flax Oil is 250 degrees. I'm guessing you were well above that temp. I doubt you hurt it. Wipe it on wipe it off. You're looking for a microscopic thin polymerization. I seasoned mine with lots of cheap bacon and onions. I wipe the rolled steel top (not cast iron) with many various oils-lard bacon grease etc. as its cooling down and leave it.

I heat it up and wipe off with Blue lint free paper towels, add oil and start cooking.

interesting on the smoke point. I thought the reason that folks (including blackstone) recommended flaxseed was that it was one of the higher smoke points. And yes, I'm sure I was well past 250

My guess is it is unfiltered flax seed oil so when it burns up it is leaving residue

it looks clear but that could be it. I think I just went way too heavy on it and then on the hottest parts it setup thick.

Unless anyone has better ideas, I think I'm going to scrape it a bit to be any looser material off, warm it back up and see if I can thin things down again. Assuming it looks good I will be a lot lighter on future coats

Microscopic. Just like cast iron. Wipe it on wipe it off. The funnest (tastiest) way is bacon. Go buy three to four packages of cheap bacon. Cook it. Wipe it with cloth,?let it cool down. Crank it up, cook bacon and onion and repeat.

Last edited:
If you burned it on you can just scrub it off and start over.......can't ruin the Blackstone top.....I used olive oil my wife had...Heated hot poured on the oil let it start smoking slightly, turned it off and let it cool and wiped dry. Did that a few times then cooked a boat load of bacon and onions on it.........The more you use it the better it is......

I've used flaxseed on both CI and on the flat iron griddles I make, some kind of fancy purrified, filtered stuff from the health food store with (I thought) a 200* smoke point and I run them up hot, anywhere around 350* to well above 400*. Yea it looks "burned" but like Adam's said all the action is microscopic in the pores of the metal. Viually it looks black & burned but in my experience that doesnt hurt anything, don't even bother to try and "clean" it, just start cooking and oiling the flat iron and you will be cool.

PS, I pretty much just use spray on canola for initial seasoning now just cause it is so easy and once I get that initial patina I start cooking some bacon, sausage, burgers, etc., to build the seasoning.

I've seen the season on Daves griddles and it looks like a CI pan you would get from your grandmother. It is smooth and has a cool patina. Ready to cook. You can't beat Daves advice. Good luck, Joe.

Microscopic. Just like cast iron. Wipe it on wipe it off. The funnest (tastiest) way is bacon. Go buy three to four packages of cheap bacon. Cook it. Wipe it with cloth,?let it cool down. Crank it up, cook bacon and onion and repeat.
This is exactly how I seasoned my Blackstone. Worked like a charm and I can now cook anything without it sticking. It's not rocket surgery.

Back