50 hour burn on one load of charcoal in the Weber Summit

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is a test I've thought about doing with just about every smoker I've ever owned. I never did, though, because it's a waste of charcoal.

Well, it's still a waste of charcoal but I finally did it anyway.

I hope you farkers enjoy it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88zDqQdLKU[/ame]

I'm going to go get some sleep. (If you watched the video, you'll know why. lol)

By the way, I have no financial interest in this grill. I know not everybody is impressed with it, or at least think it's overpriced. I am pretty sure I agree with you...though I don't think the "Weber tax" is quite as high as I thought it was when I first saw it.

I guess what I'm saying is even though I like it, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to buy it. Go with what your gut.

I feel like I'm over-talking here. You get my point, I hope. (I'm on cold meds. lol)

Anyways, I just stumbled onto something interesting and thought you guys might find it entertaining. Enjoy.

That's nice but I bet it would only go 40 hours if you had meat on it.:heh:

That is impressive.

Guess I haven't seen the price on these yet, but you did make one mark int pro column for me.

Is this webers "big green egg"?

Thanks for doing that test . How long will it go with meat in there ? You know like with a big ole brisket :-D in there

I didn't listen to the audio so you may have explained this, but why are you moving the coals around? Will it burn long periods without having to do that?

I didn't listen to the audio so you may have explained this, but why are you moving the coals around? Will it burn long periods without having to do that?

I did it out of habit from my smokey mountain days. Kingsford is really ashy so if you don't do that every once in a while, it doesn't burn as well. I probably would have been fine just adjusting the vents, but one of the things I learned was everything runs better if I do that every 8 hours when working with K.

Fortunately the handles and side table make it really easy. I was wondering why I never did that with my other kamados and realized it was because the grill grippers aren't really strong enough to do that with meat on them and then I had no place to put them anyways. The Summit has a built in solution for that.

You gotta get gloves though. Everything is a trade off. lol

I'm a huge Weber fan, thanks for the videos. Are the outside edges of the grate hotter like an egg or WSM?

I'd buy it.

Pretty impressive. I really would like to sell my Big Joe to put towards one of these.

I bet if you had used lump you wouldn't have had to mess with the charcoal at all.

Depending on the wind conditions I get 18+ hours @ 225 on a 15.5# load of charcoal on a stock 22" WSM.

50+ hours is truly impressive even without a cook load.

The one thing i find very interesting is even with the BBQ guru the coals had to be stirred to keep the temperature up.
With regulated forced air I would expect complete hands free operation until the fuel was depleted.

Thanks for doing the YouTube video.

Depending on the wind conditions I get 18+ hours @ 225 on a 15.5# load of charcoal on a stock 22" WSM.

50+ hours is truly impressive even without a cook load.

The one thing i find very interesting is even with the BBQ guru the coals had to be stirred to keep the temperature up.
With regulated forced air I would expect complete hands free operation until the fuel was depleted.

Thanks for doing the YouTube video.

He mentioned that he did it out of habit from using a WSM, though I never moved the briquettes around like that and always held temp. I'd be interested to see how long it would burn without touching it and see what would happen. Obviously if there is meat on there you wouldn't be stirring the coals as that would be a pain. And I know folks aren't cooking that long.

Looking forward to the first person that does a lump run on it. I know weber is pushing kingsford hard as the primary fuel.

He also mentioned temperature drops in the video.
Sometimes I contemplated forced air temperature regulation, but I can never convince myself it is worth it.

Back