• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dales Marinade

Samichlaus said:
Anybody try this stuff? It's been around forever, can't help form thinking it must be decent, I've just never got around to trying it.

http://www.dalesseasoning.com/

Yes, I used to use all the time. I don't know why I stopped.
Be careful with it. It is very salty, and has a fair amount of MSG in it. It is basically soy sauce with sugar, MSG, ginger and paprika added.

It does make a good base for marinades and glazes. One of my favorite Bourbon steak formulas is 2 parts Dales, one part good bourbon, a little extra brown sugar. Marinate the steak an hour or so at room temp, then give it the BBQJoe cooking treatment. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Imagine Soy sauce, reduced by half then used to degalze its own pan, then salt added.

Real potent, use sparingly, and dont soak anything too long in it. Stay away if you or anyone your feeding is sensetive to MSG cause it'll kick their ass!

I add a little apple juice to it and mariande super thin sliced eye round then cook in the vertical at about 175-200 till its jerky.

I use it all the time when I'm grilling porkchops. It's great to marinade and then grill with. Never really used it as a base before. WHat Ideas do you guys have for it?

Billinois gave me a bottle once but I don't know WTF happened to it. Not sure if I even used it. :roll: You can that stuff by the gallon in the southern states really cheap.

Not a big fan. A lot of people around here swear by it, and I guess I have had too many pieces of meat that have been soaked in it! If I were to use it, it would be very, very sparingly, and combined with something to help offset the strong taste. I have enjoyed a steak that was marinated in Coke, with a little Dale's, as the two flavors did complemente each other. Also, the Coke doubles as a tenderizer.

I have enjoyed a steak that was marinated in Coke, with a little Dale's, as the two flavors did complemente each other. Also, the Coke doubles as a tenderizer.

I love beef and cola (my OL drinks Pepsi so that's what we use) use it on beef for kabobs. Add some mushrooms between the beef and it's heaven on a skewer. For an extra twist, use cherry coke or wild cherry pepsi.

tommykendall said:
Billinois gave me a bottle once but I don't know WTF happened to it. Not sure if I even used it. :roll: You can that stuff by the gallon in the southern states really cheap.
So....you're out of Dale's sauce? 8)

I have a jar in the pantry, have not had the opportunity to use it. I bought because I heard of some good results The Brethren had with it.

Has anybody compared it to Yashida sauce?

Seems like it should be similar.

I use Dale's all the time but I use it sparingly. I'll add a few drops of Dale's to a TBSP of Yoshida's Gourmet sauce on steaks and chops and sometimes chicken.

Dat Yoshida's is the BOMB! Its everything that Dale's is not! But like everyone has said, Dale's is a tool, and every tool has its job!

Yoshidas is way different from dales(think its more on the side of teriyaki than soy sauce). It also wont disintergrate a piece of chicken the way the dales will. The yoshidas can be used to marinade OR jsut brush it o n while cooking. I wouldnt dare do that with dales. Just open the bottle of dales and sniff.. it clears your sinuses.

coke vs. Pepsi.

Im putting this in a seperate post in case we need to split it off.

There was previous talk a few posts up from KC and others using coke and pepsi in the marinades and as tenderizers.

Just FYI's..

the tenderizing agent in the coke products is phosphuric acid. Its present in the full line of coke stuff, all cokes, mountain dew, etc.. I'm not sure if its in the diet coke products, but i wouldnt use that in a marinade anyway to avoid and off tastes.

Anyway. Phosphuric Acid is NOT present in the entire Pepsi line. So using pepsi products will not, to the same effect, have the tenderizing effect the coke product does.

EDIT: Now, before posting this, i just checked a bottle of DIET pepsi and it IS in there, so maybe things have changed. If anyone has a regular pepsi bottle laying around, maybe they can check. But I am 100% positive that it wasnt there in the past... cherry pepsi never worked as good as Dr.pepper for tenderizing. Maybe things have changed and the PA is in Pepsi too now.

This may also be the reason for the "sweeter" taste in pepsi. Its just not as "acid' to the palette. ???

Another thing, for anyone thinking about using it... coke marinades can disintergrate a steak in 3 days.. they go beyond tender.. to beef mush. So dont forget it in the fridge and then find it and say "wow this is gonna be great" then shake it real good before opening the container and finding a science experiment. (not that I've done that or anything :redface: ) Briskets hold up much better though.

Just happen to have a can of Pepsi sitting right here.
Contains:
Carbonated water
High fructose corn syrup
and/or sugar
caramel color
PHOSPHORIC ACID
caffeine
citric acid
and natural flavors

was Thinking it was Bill thta firts brought up Dale's which did wonders for my chicken. Now after reading about the Yoshida's I have another mission

Kevin said:
Just happen to have a can of Pepsi sitting right here.
Contains:
Carbonated water
High fructose corn syrup
and/or sugar
caramel color
PHOSPHORIC ACID
caffeine
citric acid
and natural flavors

EXCELLENT!!!

As BQ can attest to, we are a Pepsi Family(he never finds coke around here)... I cant imagine how many times I wanted to do a mariande only to find no coke, so i didnt bother. It could have changed years ago and i never knew.

Got me to thinking. Sirloin tip steaks are on sale for $2.59 # this weekend so that is what I'll use. Picked up a dozen today for playing with. My first try will be a can of pepsi and 4T dales for 2 hours and then go from there. I'll keep notes and post the results after a few trys.

Guys,
I thought that Pepsi always had the PA, but not the same amount as Coke. That was one of the major differences in taste.

nmayeux said:
Guys,
I thought that Pepsi always had the PA, but not the same amount as Coke. That was one of the major differences in taste.

Good point Noah. Maybe round 2 of this speriment will be Coke and Dale's.

Back