Cigar Dinner - World Pork Expo

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thursday night, Randy and I catered a high end, five course cigar dinner for six that we are serving on behalf of the Missouri Pork Association. The Missouri Pork Association is a sponsor of our competition BBQ team: Pork Pullin Plowboys.

This was labeled as the 1st Annual Cigar Dinner for the Missouri Pork Association at the World Pork Expo. The six guests from Ohio bid on and won the dinner at a National Pork Board function earlier in the year. We heard that they paid $1300 for this meal at auction.

Comments from the group was that it was the highlight of their week at the World Pork Expo and that they would love to come back the following year. The meal was provided by Plowboys BBQ with wine from the Missouri Wine & Grape Board.

cigar%20dinner%20009%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Antipasto
Premium Smoked Sausages and Fine Cheeses with Accompaniments
Wine: 2002 Blanc de Blancs (Stone Hill Winery)
Cigar: Punch

First Course
Spring Greens
Wine: 2005 Chardonel (Les Bourgeois Winery)

Intermezzo
Rasberry Sorbet

Entree
Bacon Wrapped Double Cut Grilled Pork Tenderloins paired with lobster tails
accompanied by Backed Potatoes and a Seasonal Garden Selection
Wine: 2003 Norton (Adam Puchta Winery)
Cigar: Partagas 1845

Dessert
New York Cheesecake
Wine: Ice Wine (Augusta Winery)

Digestif
Wine: 2003 Fine Old Ruby Port (Crown Valley Winery)
Cigar: La Perla Habana Black Label

cigar%20dinner%20003%20%28Custom%29.jpg

The pork tenderloins, lobster and potatoes were grilled on a Traeger 075 pellet grill. The pork tenderloins were cooked until an internal temperature of 150 degrees. The lobster tails were cooked until opaque and basted with clarified butter throughout the cooking process. Despite never having grilled or otherwise cooked lobster, I thought everything turned out fantastic. The guests voted with their plates… no lobster or pork was to be found at the end of the meal.

HUGE THANKS TO IQUE!!!! We swapped PM's about how to prepare grilled lobster and it worked out perfectly!!! Thank, Brotha!

Attachments

• cigar dinner 002 (Custom).jpg
    cigar dinner 002 (Custom).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 174
  • cigar dinner 004 (Small).jpg
    cigar dinner 004 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 174
  • cigar dinner 005 (Small).jpg
    cigar dinner 005 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 174
Congrats on a job well done, food looked great and the folks seemed to be happy:biggrin:

Awesom Todd, looks like you had some mighty fine food there. Also a good way to give back to your sponsor.

Great Job Todd!

Cigar Dave would be proud of you! :lol:

TIM

Way to go Todd, that one way of keeping that sponser.

Todd, that all looks awesome. Proud to call you a brother.

What a great menu. How much time did it take for ya all to come up with the courses let alone the wines?

WOW! My wife is drooling right now...How hard was it to do lobster, I would be scared to over cook it.
Great job!

:mad:)

Randy deserves much of the credit on this. He's been very active with the Missouri Pork Association for many, many years. He and his wife had much of this planned out before we even arrived in Des Moines. I just showed up and grilled some surf and turf.

The lobster was easy. Place on grill and baste with butter. However, from what I've been told, knowing when to pull off is the trick. Too long, and you have a $30 piece of rubber.

Sad part is I never got a bite of the lobster. The organizer grills a lot of it and said it was just right. I got lucky!

The menu was provide for us.

Last edited:
Thursday night, Randy and I catered a high end, five course cigar dinner for six that we are serving on behalf of the Missouri Pork Association. The Missouri Pork Association is a sponsor of our competition BBQ team: Pork Pullin Plowboys.

This was labeled as the 1st Annual Cigar Dinner for the Missouri Pork Association at the World Pork Expo. The six guests from Ohio bid on and won the dinner at a National Pork Board function earlier in the year. We heard that they paid $1300 for this meal at auction.

Comments from the group was that it was the highlight of their week at the World Pork Expo and that they would love to come back the following year. The meal was provided by Plowboys BBQ with wine from the Missouri Wine & Grape Board.

cigar%20dinner%20009%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Antipasto
Premium Smoked Sausages and Fine Cheeses with Accompaniments
Wine: 2002 Blanc de Blancs (Stone Hill Winery)
Cigar: Punch

First Course
Spring Greens
Wine: 2005 Chardonel (Les Bourgeois Winery)

Intermezzo
Rasberry Sorbet

Entree
Bacon Wrapped Double Cut Grilled Pork Tenderloins paired with lobster tails
accompanied by Backed Potatoes and a Seasonal Garden Selection
Wine: 2003 Norton (Adam Puchta Winery)
Cigar: Partagas 1845

Dessert
New York Cheesecake
Wine: Ice Wine (Augusta Winery)

Digestif
Wine: 2003 Fine Old Ruby Port (Crown Valley Winery)
Cigar: La Perla Habana Black Label

cigar%20dinner%20003%20%28Custom%29.jpg

The pork tenderloins, lobster and potatoes were grilled on a Traeger 075 pellet grill. The pork tenderloins were cooked until an internal temperature of 150 degrees. The lobster tails were cooked until opaque and basted with clarified butter throughout the cooking process. Despite never having grilled or otherwise cooked lobster, I thought everything turned out fantastic. The guests voted with their plates… no lobster or pork was to be found at the end of the meal.

HUGE THANKS TO IQUE!!!! We swapped PM's about how to prepare grilled lobster and it worked out perfectly!!! Thank, Brotha!

THAT IS NOT FAIR, LOBSTER, TODD I CALL FOUL FOUL FOUL, NOW THAT DOSE IT, THIS MEANS THROW DOWN BROTHER. YOU AND ME NEXT CONTEST WE MEET AT FRIDAY NIGHT SUPPER FIXENS. DEAL OR NO DEAL.

I AM WAITING!!!! THAT'S RIGHT BROTHER THROW DOWN.:biggrin:

Scotty D

THAT IS NOT FAIR, LOBSTER, TODD I CALL FOUL FOUL FOUL, NOW THAT DOSE IT, THIS MEANS THROW DOWN BROTHER. YOU AND ME NEXT CONTEST WE MEET AT FRIDAY NIGHT SUPPER FIXENS. DEAL OR NO DEAL.

I AM WAITING!!!! THAT'S RIGHT BROTHER THROW DOWN.:biggrin:

Scotty D

Bring it, Big Boy!!! It needs to be Iron Chef style: secret ingredient.

When you in KC next?

Bring it, Big Boy!!! It needs to be Iron Chef style: secret ingredient.

When you in KC next?

Royal time I would think, I want to do a contest in Columbia Mo I think. just have to make it work,

how have you been the dinner above looked great. nice job you and Randy provided.

So how good are the cigars that are listed in the menu? Any stoggie smokers able shed some light? I got to smoke a Punch afterwards. It was a nice smoke. But I don't know cigars.

They are pretty good, but the descriptions are lacking. Example is the Punch. Is it a Gran Cru, Double Punch, Maduro......? I am way to much nto cigars, and I am more impressed with the tails and pork. By the way,cant wait to meet you, my wife thought I cooked good chicken until we tried Yardbird.

Back