So what do I buy?

Biggenz

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Being my first smoker I am personally buying I am struggling to figure out what I really want.

With a budget of $500 I am in great debate whether to go with something like a 22.5 WSM or find an offset, or even a Good One off of craigslist used, or maybe even something different.

What does everyone think?

Now we know your budget, so what are you looking for in a cooker?

Fuel type preference?
Capacity?
How often do you want to tend your fire?

Now we know your budget, so what are you looking for in a cooker?

Fuel type preference?
Capacity?
How often do you want to tend your fire?

Yep... These are important things to know.

In the $500 ranges it's hard to find a quality offset unless you look at the used market. The new ones in that range are typically thinner steel and not as well made. You can still make good BBQ on them, and lots of guys do, but you need to know what you are getting in to.

The big hitter in that price range is the WSM. It's a proven design and has a short learning curve. The Pit Barrel Cooker is also a contender in that price range. If you are handy with tools you can also build your own UDS.

In the $500 ranges it's hard to find a quality offset unless you look at the used market. The new ones in that range are typically thinner steel and not as well made. You can still make good BBQ on them, and lots of guys do, but you need to know what you are getting in to.

The big hitter in that price range is the WSM. It's a proven design and has a short learning curve. The Pit Barrel Cooker is also a contender in that price range. If you are handy with tools you can also build your own UDS.

This is good advice.

Also need to consider how much time/effort you'll want to spend while cooking. An offset around $500 will turn out some good Q, as Ron mentioned, but you're going to spend a LOT more time tending the fire, potentially modifying the design, etc.

I ended up with the Oklahoma Joe's offset from Lowe's - listed @ $429 on sale (and they marked mine down because it was a floor model and had a few dings on it). There was a steep learning curve because of the design flaws. I had half a dozen cooks on it before I really started getting the hang of it. The food was nearly always edible, but it was awhile before it was "good" or "great" in my eyes.

So, as was mentioned - know what you're getting into. An offset in this price has it's drawbacks, but I was very happy with it. Many people can get frustrated by it and give up on learning/bbq'ing quickly. If you're one of less patience, or more precious time - then a WSM or similar will do you better.

I have mainly used an offset, but love the idea of a WSM. If I bought one of those I would ultimately get a stoker as well i suspect.

Capacity is where im unsure. Typically I cook on an offset with more than enough room. However typically I would be just doing a few slabs of ribs and a chicken or two.

And although I typically tend to the offset in the past every 45 min. It was a nightmare on long smokes.

As always, the answer is, it depends. :cool:

What Peeps said: What are you planning on cooking? How much cooking real estate do you need? Is this just going to be a smoker, or are you expecting to grill as well? Are you determined to get something new, or is used an option? Or, could you consider doing a full DIY project or a modest DIY project??? Do you want to tend a fire or are you looking for something that's more set and forget? Are you just starting out smoking or do you have experience using a particular cooker??

Am assuming based on the question that you are not necessarily someone with a great deal of experience with Q. My apologies if that is an incorrect assumption. Based on past experience, are you someone that once you get into something, you REALLY get into it? Am asking because if you ARE someone that has this tendency, that may influence the decision. Would suck to get into something with a $500 budget and then 6 months later figuring out that you really need something closer to $3,000 to meet your new needs.

At that price point, there are several ways to go: UDS as a standalone project or use the Big Poppa kit to help move the project along. Could go for a ceramic cooker:[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJEPTJS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00IIWDQSU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TN976CA9X2HVGM007MY
a modest offset e.g.,
http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-13201747-05-Longhorn-Offset-Smoker/dp/B00CP5G3WW/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_4

something like a Traeger
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Junior-Digital-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B00DUQHAX6/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1408989434&sr=1-1&keywords=traeger
WSM http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Smokey-Mountain-Charcoal/dp/B001I8ZTJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408989990&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain

I'm sure there are other options in that price range (e.g., things like electric smokers, propane, etc).
EDIT: Sorry, links not embedding properly (user error!)... just clip and go to another browser window.

Bruce

I just did my first cook on my offset. I am hooked now. I can't wait for the next cook.
But I plan on all my cooks being around 300 on it so they don't real long.

I couldn't believe the taste difference from my ceramic and kettle compared to the offset.

Comes down to size and if you like to tend the smoker.

You sound like you need a WSM. And a Maverick. It'll still be under $500, give or take.

I am familiar with smoking and have done it for a while. The issue arises that I am now purchasing my own equipment rather than using families. I have traditionally used an offset with a few mods but don't have the funds at this time to get a real nice offset.

Real estate isn't an issue and this would be used solely for smoking. Im just torn between finding an offset that is cheaply made with thin metal or going with something different and more efficient. I didn't care for the long hours and little sleep with the offset on overnight smokes but its also what a majority of my smoking was done on.

The question of doing a build my self, thats pretty much out of the question. Other than basic mods. I don't have the equipment to do a lot.

My first smoker was a Chargriller. Like others had said, it was cheaply built, thin walled, needed mods and had a steep learning curve. I loved the thing.

I now have a both a 18" and 22" WSM and very rarely use the Chargriller.

A drill, step-bit, and a couple of wrenches are all the tools you need to build a Big Poppa Smoker and the Big Poppa Kit comes with the bit.

I spent a year cooking at least once a week on my restored/modded Bandera and, modesty be damned, pretty good at cooking on it. I then, VERY recently, built an UDS. It didn't take but a couple practice runs and one cook for it to steal my heart. You could get a drum, powder coat it, buy a BPS kit, and get your Guru, all for under your $500 budget.

Just a thought.

I have mainly used an offset, but love the idea of a WSM. If I bought one of those I would ultimately get a stoker as well i suspect.

Capacity is where im unsure. Typically I cook on an offset with more than enough room. However typically I would be just doing a few slabs of ribs and a chicken or two.

And although I typically tend to the offset in the past every 45 min. It was a nightmare on long smokes.
For what you typically cook you could get an 18.5 WSM and one of these, which I can not recommend highly enough.

WSM 22.5 and forget the stoker. The unit runs itself with about a 10 minutes tutorial. I had someone explain the long burn method to me (minion method) and I had it work the very first time I cooked and every time after. I have run 4 concurrently with different meats and you couldn't tell which was which.

At your price range enjoy the WSM and save the rest of the money for some good meats. You will get 8-10 hours out of a 22.5 and 10-12 out of the 18.5. I would recommend the 22.5 if you want to cook brisket. The 18 is just too small for most briskets and you tend to scorch the edges.

I agree that the WSM seems to sound like a good fit for you. I'd go with the 22.5 as it's better to have more room and not need it, than to need more room and not have it. I have had a 12 hour cook on mine, it could have gone longer (coals left) but I was done at that point.

As for the Stoker, I have the Pitmaster IQ120 and it works great, but the WSM runs so smoothly, I only use it if I am doing an overnight cook and need some sleep.

Check out the thread in my signature for what mods I've done with my WSM.

You might consider a kamado style grill or a Char-Griller Akorn. They can do low n slow smoking and high heat grilling. Also they are less affected by the wind and cold, and are very fuel efficient,

Being my first smoker I am personally buying I am struggling to figure out what I really want.

With a budget of $500 I am in great debate whether to go with something like a 22.5 WSM or find an offset, or even a Good One off of craigslist used, or maybe even something different.

I agree with Ron, it's hard to find a "Good Quality" smoker in that budget. Even in the used market or on Craiglist, it would still be hard to get a quality smoker in that range. I also agree the WSM is a proven smoker by a quality manufacturer.

The UDS as indicated above is a good starter smoker until you find the direction you wish to go looking for a smoker.

I'd build a UDS and buy a used stick burner.

I got $150 in my UDS and $120 my patchwork Bandera.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182124

Last edited:
I would recommend buying a decent welder like a Hobart 140, play with it, and absorb as much info as you can from friends neighbors, the old interweb and save up a little more money and build your own. You will be so much more pride for it than any box store smoker, it can be tailored to you, and more importantly you made it, it seems that as we are growing more into the generations x, and y’s, that we are losing the value in making things ourselves.

My opinion Weber Kettle with A short learning curve, you can do low & slow + using the Snake method I've gotten 250*-275* temp for 10 - 16 HRS
Then you can also Grill. I enjoy my platinum 22.5 cooking plus a cart & table all in one:-D
I've either owned or cooked on just about all of them & still find my self going back to My Webers if you live where the weather is an issue STUMP Smokers is my go to regardless what you decide make sure it fits your style of cooking & have fun :-D:-D

Back