Cast iron skillet care

wormy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After you guys cook using your cast iron skillet how do you care for it? Wipe out the grease and leave it until.next time? Soap and water?

After it has a couple coats of seasoning; I simply wipe clean with a paper towel after cooking, then rinse with light soapy water, and air dry. If you have a good coat of seasoning nothing will stick to it, almost like a teflon coated pan. I'm a germophobe so I use light soap and water in the pan, but know many who just wipe clean.

we use hot water, a Lodge Logic plastic scraper and brush that we picked up at Cabela's. For seasoning, my wife did some research and found flax seed oil is one of the best options. Smells like fish when you get it on a hot pan but man do they come out looking good! I'm not positive on the process but I think she does a coat, bake in a 500 deg oven for an hour, then let cool. Repeat until you get the finish you're looking for

If what I'm cooking is slippery like onions, I just wipe out. If something is a little more sticky like blackened chicken I use a hot mitt and hit it with hot water when the pan is still hot. The steam action pretty much takes care of everything. If I have a mess in there I put kosher salt in dry, and scrub with paper towels. The salt acts as a natural abrasive, and will take care of most issues.

Thanks. I never remember my grandmother washing hers (not saying she did not). I have a brand new 12" lodge that she bought me 8 years ago that I still have not used. I think it is long overdue

With the exception of the kosher salt trick I agree with everything said. I cook on stovetop exclusively with cast iron. Just today for lunch I cooked brown sugar cured bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Made a mess but hit the skillet with hot water and nylon brush. It's now ready for breakfast eggs and hash browns.

Thanks. I never remember my grandmother washing hers (not saying she did not). I have a brand new 12" lodge that she bought me 8 years ago that I still have not used. I think it is long overdue

Back in the day, when soap contained lye, washing would strip any nonstick qualities off of cast iron, that's why soap was never used on them 50+ years ago.

Mild soaps (Dawn) makes things *so* easy. A quick sponging with sudsy water gets rid of all the crud, then back on the stove, thin coat of peanut oil, heat, ready to use again.

The coarse salt trick works, it's just more difficult.

I season a new pan by washing with hot soapy water to remove the wax coating placed there by the manufacturer then coat very lightly with crisco, heat in a 400 degree oven for an hour then let cool in the oven. I will do this about four times prior to use and it is almost like Teflon. Oh, I forgot, I place it in the oven upside down with an aluminum covered sheet pan on a lower rack to catch any drips although I try to coat so lightly there are not drips. Using too much oil causes the pan to be a sticky mess.

Washing is normally just hot water and nylon brush but will use kosher salt if needed. And once per year I scrub with hot soapy water and then re-season.

I Salt it and will ad a little extra oil and wipe it out w a rag or paper towel.
I try to wipe em out before using as well, I've had a little duct stick from not using frequently enough...

Simply putting in a wood burner, and dampening the burner down puts a great coat on cast iron.

Table salt and cooking oil, rub it out with a paper towel...

A well-seasoned pan is easy to clean. I wipe it out with paper towels, get it really hot on my stove, then rinse and scrub with water and a plastic brush being careful not to steam my hands. Re-season with a wipe of oil and you are good to go again!

Back