• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baby Backs with pr0n

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So experimented with some Baby Backs this weekend. Did four racks, two types of rubs on two each of the racks, then experimented further by taken one rack each of each kind of rub and wrapping in foil along with butter, brown sugar, and honey (Trigg method, I guess?) to get a sense for which ones would be better. Since I've only been smokin' since the end of July it's all about experimenting!

Read up a lot on here about the 3-2-1 method. Since I was running my UDS at 250-275 I decided to foil two of the racks at the 2-1/2 hour mark. Here is how they looked.

Pre-foiling #1
Ribs%20pre-wrap.jpg

Pre-foiling #2:
Ribs%20pre-wrap%202.jpg

I left them in the foil for about 1hr and then unwrapped them and left them on the smoker to finish until they were (mostly) probe tender, which was only about 30 minutes later. Here is how the end-product looked

These are the two racks I wrapped in foil using the Trigg method:
Rib%20Result.jpg

On the left is one of the racks I foiled while on the rack on the right was NOT foiled.
Rib%20Result%202.jpg

Finally a close-up of what turned out to be the best rack, which was foiled with the Trigg method.
Rib%20result%203.jpg

Observations:
- Trying to do four racks at a time on the UDS was fine but for a "rookie" it was a bit of a challenge to manage the cooking times of two unwrapped racks and two of them that were wrapped, with people eagerly awaiting their arrival! The unwrapped racks were more tender.
- Consensus of the family was that the one wrapped with Trigg method were BY FAR much better and tastier.
- One of the rubs I used had a lot of sugar and I ended up using DARK Brown Sugar. The bark on the two racks that had that particular rub was particularly tough so unless someone else has a different view I think I'm going to focus on rib rubs that have less sugar in them.

As I'm learning I'm open to all advice and observations from our "experts" here in order to perfect my trade.

Great color. I did a few racks yesterday doing almost the same method. A freak rainstorm had me scrambling and caused me to forget to take photos. But the color and smoke ring just weren't there. What kind of smoke wood did you use?

They look good, but as a fellow UDS smoker, I can agree that the Trigg/3-2-1/whatever-you-call-it method seems to always be my families favorites as well.

I kept experimenting until my daughter says Awesome Dad, these rock! And have now cooked the last three rib cooks like this to her pleasant satisfaction...

I find that sometimes the simplistic approach is the best.

What kind of smoke wood did you use?

Used pecan with a dollop of apple in there on the advice of my 6 year old..

Have kept it simple so far I haven't done any spritzing, mopping or saucing of ribs. Just want to get the basic cooking technique down first before getting more creative with the flava.

Great looking ribs there!
And thanks for the comparison and the write up. Every lil bit helps out.

Back