What to do?

jham0077

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
My wife wants sandwiches for supper tomorrow night, like a french dip. I have a pikes peak, chuck, and a sirloin tip roast.

What's the best one to use and how do I do it?

She's searching the Pioneer Woman for recipes also.

Yup the sirloin tip roast. Slice thin. I mix the drippings with some beef base for the dip.

Drippings, beef base, red wine with onion and garlic powder for an amazing dip sauce.

Thanks y'all. I'll get it out so it can thaw.

So do I sear it pretty good first or last? Then put it in a pan, or foil, to catch the juice right?
Dang... now my mouth is watering.

It's up to tout when to sear, no wrong answer. I like the reverse sear. Put a pan under the roast with a little water in it to catch the drippings. Remember sirloin tip roast can get tough if cooked to well.

Once it is cooked and cooled, put it in the freezer for a bit to firm it up. It will make slicing it thin much easier.

I see back in your first post asking how to do it. Don't be afraid of being to rare because after it is sliced you are going to want to quickly dip the sliced meat into hot au jus before building the sandwich. That will kill the rare red. Then serve with a side of au jus. Dang, now I want French dips.

If you want the ultimate, make it with a rib roast. Nothing like a $10/pound sandwich

Probably sear first and use some of those coals to start the drum then. It's only about 3 lb worth. So probably 3ish hours at 225-250?

I'll adjust the racks close and set a pan on the bottom to catch the goodness.

Rest it well and chill to slice easier.

Don't think it can be too rare, we eat our steaks rare/med rare..

The butcher told me the pikes peak is the top/point off the shoulder. I've never heard of it either.

I could probably remove some of the hot coals after searing, make a snake, and leave it on the kettle. Gotta figure a snake size out...

Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
All of that advice above is good.

Personally, I would do a reverse sear. Smoke it at 250°F until 125°F internal, then pull and rest it. Bring up temperature to hot, sear off the roast until nice and colorful, interior temperature should be around 135°F. Then cool and slice thin.

It appears I will be having French dip tomorrow, as I have an entire wagyu sirloin tip left over because some of my quest backed out.:sad::boxing::roll::wink::heh::thumb:

It appears I will be having French dip tomorrow, as I have an entire wagyu sirloin tip left over because some of my quest backed out.:sad::boxing::roll::wink::heh::thumb:

That's not too bad of a thing then.

Doing something like this makes me nervous. Especially when the wife is really looking forward to it.

If it's as breezy tomorrow as it was today, I'll have to shuffle things around in the lean-to to get the drum under it and out of the wind.

Back