Just curious about catering/vending

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I keep thinking about doing catering/vending but I have no idea what sort of money goes into this. I am at least a few years away from seriously considering doing this but I definitely want to do it. I want to be on the up and up. No under the table stuff for me. Although every time my wife talks about my cooking to people they ask for it and I say no and recommend finding an established caterer that has all the proper licensing and has a proper environment for food safety. I have turned down a lot of offers as I don't want to be risking fines and penalties. Due to the nature of my current employment any illegal activity would result in termination from my job immediately. Which means that I would have nothing if I got caught and frankly having worked food service through college and full time for awhile after I have no desire to do this on the down low. It seems to me the best thing to do is figure out start up costs and come up with a plan to get this off the ground. I recently saw on another forum that someone got approval from their local health department for a small food trailer that had ceramic cookers mounted to it and sinks built in. I was thinking that would be an awesome way to get started. Something to do on the weekends that I have off travel to bbq festivals and vend food. Sometimes do the occasional catering gigs for friends, family,and co-workers. What do you guys do that cross state lines for bbq festivals and events do to be compliant with health department regulations in other areas? What sort of issues are major concerns for a mobile venture like this? What do you do to dispose of gray water? I know you can't just dump it but where do you dispose of it? What about food prep areas? Can I have a built in counter on the trailer and a refrigerator and prep on site? Do I need to rent out a commercial kitchen? I know my home kitchen would never be an option. Here is what started me thinking about this.
http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/17540-bge-in-a-trailer-whats-your-opinion/page-3

The biggest variable is the health department wherever you plan to sell food. Start there and find out what they'll sign off on and what they won't. That will determine your costs.

Most agencies have very similar requirements, so traveling from one locale to another can usually be handled with a couple of calls and just understanding where things might be different. There is always something that comes up, but, if you are legit in one place, you are typically easily legit in another.

Probably the biggest thing is to start asking yourself now, do I make repeatable, quality food, can I cook in volume, what equipment do I really need, or reasonably want? And to start really working out how to acquire and store all the stuff you will need.

You are definitely wise wanting to be legal in all aspects. Like the others have said start with the local authorities to see what is required.

Keep in mind that permits for vending from a trailer are different from a catering permit. But the vending from a trailer will let you get your feet wet and see if you really want to pursue this dream. Vending Trailer permits have health requirements, but have much less requirements than a physical location or vending. With a trailer/cart all food has to be prepared in the trailer and no food can be prepared in the home and taken to the trailer/cart.

You may want to research your insurance costs as well. I would also suggest seeking a certificate of incorporation from the state as well. That way if something goes wrong or someone makes a fictitious claim that you food made them ill, then they cannot come after your personal assets (garnishing you wages, taking your house, and taking bank accounts, and your investments).

Kudos to you for wanting to choose the right way to follow through with this.

Rusty, I met you last year at the 3eyez class last May in Lancaster. I actually am in the final stages of getting setup in PA and might be able to tell you the steps I took. If you are still considering this shoot me a PM and maybe I can answer some questions or can get you on the phone.

with a home Q like that egg you just wont be able to make any quantity surely ?

whats your start up budget? Do you want to put in 16 hr days on the weekend? Just getting a used cooker like a southern pride 500 will start at 7 grand..This is a good base to start with..

Back