Why Aaron Franklin Will Never Open Another Franklin Barbecue

That's a good read. Too bad Arby's doesn't go the way of Boston Market.

Who's actually building these pits? Did he start up his own company or is this a partnership with an existing manufacture?

Theres a fine line between being a novelty and being played out. Atleast he is smart enough to understand that.

2,600 people in line to buy a pit with his name on it..??

LOL on 2,600.....

I think that means how many people signed up for the updates on his site. I doubt that many people will buy it though. I subbed to it. What's the harm?

I too signed up on day 1 and have no intention of getting one. I am a big fan of his and I am happy he's putting out some cookers, but I wouldn't read into it that much. Putting in your email address isn't the same as sending in a deposit.

Hard for me to listen to all the up talk before Franklin. Is he really there? Got it bookmarked. Will try again later. :tsk:

Hard for me to listen to all the up talk before Franklin. Is he really there? Got it bookmarked. Will try again later. :tsk:

No different than Jordan selling his own shoes... I am sure with his pits there won't be a reverse flow option.. Unless he sells himself out.

His videos pretty much tells you what to expect from his pits. Good quality welds and some thick steel in an old school offset. Hopefully they keep the propane tank look.

No different than Jordan selling his own shoes... I am sure with his pits there won't be a reverse flow option.. Unless he sells himself out.

His videos pretty much tells you what to expect from his pits. Good quality welds and some thick steel in an old school offset. Hopefully they keep the propane tank look.

Based off of the pics on the sign-up page, they appear to be steel pipe, not propane tank builds. Those pics were from a few years ago when he was building a competition cooker. If I had to guess, that's the design his consumer cooker will use. It's also inline with the size description he gave in one of the articles.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'm the new guy, so I'll ask anyway...

What's this guy's secret? Why has he been so wildly successful where most BBQ joints fail.

Is it that he's making really great food, fresh, using actual wood smokers (versus the propane smokers and reheating most BBQ joints do)?

Or is it just hype? Right place, right time, an up and coming "hip" city where his place became the new fad?

I'm not trying to trash the dude, I read his book recently and thought it was excellent. If I'm ever down in Austin, I'll wait in the lines to get a taste of it. Just curious.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'm the new guy, so I'll ask anyway...

What's this guy's secret? Why has he been so wildly successful where most BBQ joints fail.

Is it that he's making really great food, fresh, using actual wood smokers (versus the propane smokers and reheating most BBQ joints do)?

Or is it just hype? Right place, right time, an up and coming "hip" city where his place became the new fad?

I'm not trying to trash the dude, I read his book recently and thought it was excellent. If I'm ever down in Austin, I'll wait in the lines to get a taste of it. Just curious.

While Aaron claims to use just salt and pepper on his briskets, many Brethren feel he must be holding back and uses some other ingredients as well. The most common theory is that he slathers them with mayo before applying the S&P.:wink:

I have not yet tried Franklin's, and am not sure I have the patience for waiting more than an hour -but just watching some of his videos on YouTube and reading various interviews- he is a supremely likable and affable guy, and the brisket always look amazing. The "vibe" he gives is one that he does not take himself too seriously, is modest about his accomplishments, and loves what he does. I don't sense any kind of snobbishness in his carriage at all. LOL@Bob C.

While Aaron claims to use just salt and pepper on his briskets, many Brethren feel he must be holding back and uses some other ingredients as well. The most common theory is that he slathers them with mayo before applying the S&P.:wink:

Mayo on brisket ? L Oh L

In Texas? No way.

I've never been there but I'd assume he wouldn't last long if he did that in Texas.

I think of of the biggest thing is using the best meat possible...

Franklin seems to me like the Dave Grohl of the bbq world. Modest, talented, likes to keep it real, and just an overall really good dude. Thats a good recipe to become successful in what you are doing.

Sourcing quality ingredients helps too. I wonder how good his briskets would be if they were select or Walmart choice instead of prime.

I've read the book, watch the vids and yes, very likable. He's a great spokesperson for the art of BBQ.

This place just can't get past this sudden fascination with mayo!

I'd bet every cent I've accumulated in 40 years of building and selling 4 businesses and now building a 5th that the only mayo in Franklin's food is in the sides.

Mayo on Texas Briaket is apostasy. Never gonna happen.

Back