Cyber Q vs Flame Boss 300?????

I have both a BBQ Guru (no wifi) and FlameBoss 100 (no wifi).
No matter the smoker I use them on. The BBQ Guru works.
The FlameBoss does not work as a temp controller. The fan does cycle at percentage loads. Where the Guru is off/on (100%) But the FlameBoss fan still runs/cycles from 10 degrees below the set temp. And cycles from 0-14% at 2 degrees above the set temp causing constant overshooting problem. Typical is 50-60 degrees overshoot. But it is not as easy to just set a temp 50-60 degrees below your wanted set temp. The fan will still cycle above the set temp. Causing a constantly higher and higher temp in the smoker.
I use the FlameBoss to get my smokers up to temp faster than without a fan. Then unplug the FlameBoss and put it away and control my temps manually. I use the BBQ Guru for over night cooks.

Been going back and forth with this one and decided to take this approach. I am going to take some time, based on actual usage, and learn how my new smoker acts while in manual mode. After I feel confident in knowing how it responds then I'll consider automating what I can, eventually being able to lite it, set the cooking parameters and monitor either visually or via WIFI. To get to the last level I think you just need to be very comfortable in understanding what you got and how it responds!

Been going back and forth with this one and decided to take this approach. I am going to take some time, based on actual usage, and learn how my new smoker acts while in manual mode. After I feel confident in knowing how it responds then I'll consider automating what I can, eventually being able to lite it, set the cooking parameters and monitor either visually or via WIFI. To get to the last level I think you just need to be very comfortable in understanding what you got and how it responds!

That's the approach I'm taking with my PCC. It came with the cyberQ but I want to know how to use it when I screw up and don't have an extension cord or forget something else. And it will happen. I know me.

Ive been using the cyberq for a few months now and I cant lie that thing is amazing. Ive started using the thing at least once a week. The ablity to throw a roast, brisket, country style ribs, chicken or pretty much any meat on there and leave the house has become addicting. I use it on a kettle 26 inch with a slow n sear xl, I usually set the temp at 325-375 when im trying to get a cook done quick unless im doing a over night smoke at 225.

Last edited:
The Cyber Q with the Pitpal app on your iOS or android is a winner. :-D

Same here for me, simply set it and forget it. I love doing overnight brisket cooks on the BGE and being able to monitor from my nice warm and cozy bed... :becky:

i don't understand what you guys are talking about with overshooting the temperature. you must have your exhaust set incorrectly or you leave the lid off for too long. I set this thing and its good to go.

Also, you don't need to start your lump with a big pile of pre-lit chimney coals. A tiny bit of flame starter log (like a thumbnail size) directly in the middle of your lump and you're good to go.

this is typical with bad seals

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/81702
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/83871
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/65709

Last edited:
I love my CyberQ, but I can't speak to how well the FlameBoss works. I love the control it gives me over my kamado; it's almost like running an oven!

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like they both are probably great options. The main difference i've seen by doing some research is the Flameboss 300 comes as a kit with multiple probes. With the cyberQ to get the equivalent package you have to purchase an add on kit of probes. But the CyberQ still comes in about $20 cheaper than the Flameboss when you add the required parts to create the equivalent kit.

Just ordered Flame Boss 300 WiFi and it'll arrive next week. They claim that their 15 CFM fan is adequate for my Shirley . I guess I'll know soon.

Alright offshore SoLA, same boat it is!

Let's compare notes. Tyler is going to ship me a pinwheel adapter with 3/4 inch coupler so the 15 CFM will screw right into place. I've got a big pit so my worry is that the 15 CFM will be running overtime. Will just have to see

i don't understand what you guys are talking about with overshooting the temperature. you must have your exhaust set incorrectly or you leave the lid off for too long. I set this thing and its good to go.
Well, I use the BBQ Guru, it works as it should. Use the FlameBoss and it overshoots. No matter the smoker. I've spend months trying to get the Flameboss to work. POS
Glad it works for you.

Well, I use the BBQ Guru, it works as it should. Use the FlameBoss and it overshoots. No matter the smoker. I've spend months trying to get the Flameboss to work. POS
Glad it works for you.

That's interesting to me. I wonder if there is a issue with manufacturing qc.

Back