What Brethren Techniques/Methods/Recipes Have Your Incorporated Into Your Cooking Repertoire?

Like so many others, to much to list, but here goes.

Mayo chicken :grin:, BluDawg's brisket, rest times, hot and fast cooking, layering flavors, wrapping, thermometers, reverse sear and SPOG.

And that's just a start.

I learned about wrapping my brisket in butcher paper (versus the foil that I had been using resulting in overcooked roast beef tasting product). When I owned my offset, I learned a lot about fire management that I just wasn't able to find anyplace else. I owe the brethren a lot, which is why I became a subscribing member and try to pass on assistance when I can.

A few off the top of my head:

BluDawg's hot and fast brisket method is a big one (never fails)
How to tell when a rib is done
How to make bacon
Pig Candy!! (LYU370's Pork Belly Burnt Ends)

A few of the things I bought due to this site:

Vortex
Big Easy
Blackstone
Humphrey's Battle Box
Learn fire management on a OK Joe Longhorn(sold)
Move on to a Shirley

We need to be realistic here folks. Not everything posted on this site is something to be proud of or is suitable for family viewing. For example:

- Doing it hot and fast
- Heating up your Shirley
- Posting pics of naked fatties
- Rubbing butts
- SPOG (whatever that is)

Well, you get the picture.

Last edited:
Well i never knew what a blue waffle was before this site.

My cattle call post mentioned donnie (pitmaster T/barbefunkmarqwhatever) and bob (landarc) as my gurus. I came to master brisket. I learned i knew nothing. Almost 3 years later i followed their path to brisket nirvana. Most of my real tricks arr from pm's to bob and nuggets buried 10 pages deep in the mind of donnie.

Other things i learned were how to run an offset & pepper stout beef (general group knowledge), wood fired chicken (fwismoker) shack sauce (boshizzle)
And most importantly less is more.

I learned how to spend more money on each successive smoker that I've purchased. I learned that you can eat a fattie, not just smoke one. I refuse to learn the Mayo thing that seems to be popular at the moment.

But the most important thing I learned is that this is a unique place on the internet where we all help each other to learn more about this passion for BBQ we all have.

We need to be realistic here folks. Not everything posted on this site is something to be proud of or is suitable for family viewing. For example:

- Doing it hot and fast
- Heating up your Shirley
- Posting pics of naked fatties
- Rubbing butts
- SPOG (whatever that is)

Well, you get the picture.

Hahahahahaha, that is funny. Don't forget these:
- Rub your meat with olive oil.
- Don't let your meatloaf.

Like everyone else, I have learned so much. I have learned that there are many different ways to cook the same piece of meat and achieve similar results. This helped me to try different things and then use what works best for me, or what I'm most comfortable with.

I think one of the main things I learned was to use a thermometer as a guide, and to relax during the stall.

Cooking be feel instead of time and temp (brisket)
naked fatties and ABTs
Shirley smokers

just to name a few

For me it is the little tweaks people list in passing. The "Why didn't I think of that?". The use of higher temps while turning out great food. Things that have been in the back of my mind to try that people beat me to, giving their results-good and bad.
The biggest thing is probably the use of fire bricks to hold coals. I had a "D" shaped strip of metal formed to the side of my kettle that I had been using, but it wasted a lot of space on shorter cooks. Bricks are so flexible in the way that you can arrange them, shaping the coal bed to your needs.

Like so many others, Hot & Fast brisket (thanks BluDawg and others). I rarely cooked it because of the time involved; now I cook more briskets than ribs.

To be honest I haven't been a Brethren long enough and didn't have a Smoker (until now) to try out all the different ideas that I have read about. So for now lets just say that I am a reading fool and will soon start to use many of the forum tips.

Back