Thawed raw ribs became very dry after smoking

Panupat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What should I do?

Recently I discovered a butcher who can provide very meaty pork ribs. He is an hour drive away so I buy extra, trim and freeze them in ziplock bags.

the fresh ribs always turn out great. Very moist. However the frozen ribs do not. Smoke them exactly the same way they turnout dry and even with toothpick test feeling correct they are quite tough when actually eating.

I notice that whether I thaw overnight in the fridge or thaw in room temp, there are cups of reddish water ending up in the bag. Im guessing thats the culprit. Anything I can do to prevent or counter this?

are you sure they aren't getting freezer burn? that'd be my first guess.

Ah! I had to look that word up, new vocabulary for me. I think you're right. The explanation fits. Thank you.

freezer-burnt areas will be dry, leather and unpleasant

I need get myself a vacuum sealer.

Last edited:
Ah! I had to look that word up, new vocabulary for me. I think you're right. The explanation fits. Thank you.

freezer-burnt areas will be dry, leather and unpleasant

I need get myself a vacuum sealer.

another way to remove air without a vacuum sealer is to put the meat in the bottom of a bag. then slowly submerge the bag in water(with the opening at the top), work the bag under the water slowly with your hands to remove any air pockets and seal it without letting any water in. then freeze it. not quite as good as a vacuum sealer, but it'll keep freezer burn at bay for a while longer than just tossing it in a bag and freezing.

It may also be the length of time it takes to freeze your ribs. Meat companies have blast freezers that freeze in a matter of minutes. Most home freezers take much longer, and ice crystals can form in the cells of your meat. When you thaw, all that moisture defrosts and runs out leaving you with dry food.

In addition to cryovac, try freezing them in a single layer, don't throw a big pile in the freezer.

Back