• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Pit You have Cooked On ?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Or helped Cook On? Offset or Cabinet or ?

For Me it was Muscrats Badazz Insulated Firebox trailer pit yesterday. I've cooked on a bunch of the cheap pits but never a high end pit till yesterday. Muscrat was cooking for his Dads retirement party - 3 Butts, 4 Briskets, 50 pieces Chicken and a bunch of Sausage. He told me people would be starting to show about 3 so I got there at 3. The Butts were done and resting, Chicken was about ready to come off and sausage ready to go on but the Briskets weren't close and His Dad had told everyone eating was at 4:30 ish. He had cooked at 250* for most of the day and after seeing the Briskets being stubborn he had panned and foiled the Briskets and brought temp up to 300*. When I got there he asked me to check them and see what I thought. I checked and told him I thought had a few hrs left- he said we had 1 - 1 1/2 so I said well then time to crank it up. He tossed in one small split and opened his single Butterfly Damper from 1/3 to full and within a minute or two we watched the gauge steadily climb like speedometer on a car! He closed the damper back down just a bit as needle went past 380* and it settled in at 400* almost exact within minutes!

In 1 hr the the smallest Brisket was probe tender, 2 were close and one was tight. He took the small in to rest and do other things and I moved the remaining 3 around a little. Muscrat had several things going inside so I watched the pit and sipped some Wicked Orchard Adult Apple Juice. You can see his fire from the cook chamber and of course thru the damper and I would see it was time for a split before temp would even start to fall- and since we were in a time crunch I didn't want the temps to fall off any - so I'd toss in a small split every 45 minutes. Now this was to maitain a STEADY 400*, temp never budged- I thought his new TelTru was Stuck! He says when running 250* it's a small split every 1.5 hrs with no temp drops!! The cheapo pits I'm used to cooking on its a split every 45 minutes with a 25* temp drop and then 20* upswing! Muscrats is STEADY like a UDS or Caninet Smoker!!!! :heh: about 20 minutes after the first Brisket then 2nd One probed tender so I took it in and it rested as Muscrat sliced the first then the 2nd. I had put the sausages on already and by time 2 Briskets were slicced the Sausages were ready and we pulled them off and sliced them and people started making plates. While everyone was eating the 3rd Brisket probed tender do off it came and quick rest then sliced just as the Brisket pan was being emptied so we refilled the Brisket pan. The 4th Brisjet must of been an old Jersey cow cuz it didn't give up till 2 1/2 hrs after the first one and after everyone was done eating - Good Thing we didn't need it!

If I ever get to where I can afford a High End Pit I'll be buying a Muscrat Model and saving myself hundreds and possibly thousands depending on which one I get!

Last edited:
I have cooked on things from cinder block pits, UDS's, offset verticals, and cheap offsets. My favorite is the one I still have and it is an older New Braunsfel Oklahoma Joe offset.

I have cooked on things from cinder block pits, UDS's, offset verticals, and cheap offsets. My favorite is the one I still have and it is an older New Braunsfel Oklahoma Joe offset.

:thumb:

Low tech

The WSM has to be the best for me, cooked on various types but the ol WSM seems to constantly put out excellent food with not too much effort, and it just looks cool ding it.

I sure love my Backwoods, but Id sure be interested in muscrat build. Did he say what he would charge for that exact pit? I almost pulled the trigger on a R&O about 6 months ago....

Got to be my Bubba Grill! Rain, blowing wind, and snow! Held temps like a champ. I can stick it anywhere between 230-350 as long as I want. I would like to throw some sticks in muscrat's machine! That thing is beautiful! Can't wait to see it painted!

I'm pretty well stuck on RF pits, but I bet I could re-learn how to use tuning plates again if I had a one like that. Aesthetically it just looks damn cool with the stack "in the bow", come to think of it, it kinda looks like a civil war ironclad:becky:

Last edited:
maybe not the best there is but..

I have personally cooked on my dad-in-laws BGE and I was very impressed. That is super good to me having only used cheap ones such as a Brinkman smoke n grill, a homemade one that was free, and my dads barrel grill. I helped cook with someone who had a large stainless steel, commercial sized rotisserie smoker on his trailer and it was pretty cool too. I really liked the way the BGE held temps and although I was cooking by myself with no instructions (I got the temp higher than I wanted for ribs and it would not come down very easily) it was very fun and nice. The only problem for me is that his was a medium and I think that it was too small and I would only want to have an XL for the cooking room.

I absolutly love my Lang reverse flow pit.
Wind and rain dont effect the temps at all, but it does require a little more wood than a conventional offset.
I would love to cook on a pit like Muskrats, looks awesome!

I sure love my Backwoods, but Id sure be interested in muscrat build. Did he say what he would charge for that exact pit? I almost pulled the trigger on a R&O about 6 months ago....

$6500ish cabinets painted with auto paint , inside cabinets rhino lined, black high temp paint on cooker

He does an insulated firebox backyard offset around $1600ish.

Of course options change price :mrgreen:

I love cooking on my WSMs first and foremost.

I did cook on Pigman's Lang and I was thoroughly impressed with how it performed. Some day when I have room and can justify it, I'll have a nice big trailered reverse flow too.

I think this was my best grill from a pure flavor standpoint.

IMG_3288.jpg

It was a little small for cooking, but any larger and I don't think I could've finished it in one meal.

I have had select briskets act stubborn. Seems like every 4th or 5th one just won't give up.

Never cooked on any smokers but mine. My Texas Smokemaster is a medium quality cooker and it is dead simple to cook on. My Abe's smoker makes me feel like I'm cheating. Just too darn easy.

Back