Well Fark!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My Son won a turkey at work about a week ago in some kind of contest. He was given the turkey today and it was thawed but still cold. I put it in the fridge when he brought it over. He could not give me much info about whether it had been frozen and thawed/never frozen etc. I decided to keep it in the fridge over the weekend and and let him inquire about the history of said turkey on Monday when he goes back to work.

I don't think I'm going to be able to take a chance on it though. When in doubt, throw it out is the way to go unless I hear some miracle fairy tale come Monday.

I still have to keep it in the fridge thawed until Wednesday night for prep to be cooked Thursday morning.

What say you Brethren?

Yes indeed there is another option but I've heard of poultry smelling OK and still having salmanila.

Mike,

If no word tomorrow, I would cook it immediately as long as it smells fine. You can always pre-slice and vac-seal for a later time. There should also be a date or a date code on the package in case of a recall. If it is not dated, you can call the processor and they can give you the actual date from the date code.

Sounds like a valid excuse to cook for the Turkey Throwdown tomorrow.......

Fresh poultry, processed poultry, and frozen poultry all contain some amounts of bacteria. Enhancing a bird with only a 3% saline solution can prevent many organisms from growing for a good amount of time.

All poultry can contain harmful bacteria such as salmonella, listeria, and campylobacter. The bacteria grows on the outer surfaces where it has exposure to oxygen.

Washing turkey and other poultry does not fully remove bacteria. But you can kill the bacteria by cooking it to the proper temperature. Just like raw meat and raw seafood, bacteria is destroyed only by cooking.

Last edited:
Spatch that sucker, cook skin down and add some butter & rub to the cavity side a couple times thru the cook. Get it to 165* white meat and 170*-175* in the dark meat and you are good to go!

Edit: FWIW, I routinely thaw in my prep fridge (38*) that will sometimes take 4 days, then hold/brine for a couple more days. I'm thinking if you & your son have kept it cold (+/- 38*) it will hold for a few days just fine.

Well, if it still smells OK, what's inbetween? :twitch: Nothing nasty about it and it's a real fine Cadillac looking wrapper.

I never said I have all the answers lol

All I said is I would cook it tomorrow, if it smelled nasty after opening it I would toss it. I would not wait until Wed

I never said I have all the answers lol

All I said is I would cook it tomorrow, if it smelled nasty after opening it I would toss it. I would not wait until Wed

OK, I'm going to take your advice. If my whole Family and 3 generations die, on your own head be it. :caked:

BAM! Did not think to look! Thanks!

Just looked. It says sell by 11/28/2014. Question now is when was it bought?

I'd say you're ok .......the 28th is day after Thanksgiving ,unless it it was not kept below 40f ....??

The date sold is irrelevant as long as it was kept below 40f

It was free. If you are worried, pitch it. I was sick on Thanksgiving once, it sucked.

Yes indeed there is another option but I've heard of poultry smelling OK and still having salmanila.

Salmanilla is not something that occurs when poultry goes bad. It's something that the bird either has before being dispatched or during processing from a surface that was contaminated by another bird that had it. It's also something that gets killed off during the cooking process. As long as the bird looks and smells ok and is cooked properly, it will be perfectly safe to eat.

I would say to cook it the way you always wanted to try cooking a turkey and see how it turns out. Make it an experiment/project and enjoy the lesson and hopefully the end product. Say a good Cajun Blessing over it and enjoy! :pray:

Blessings,

Omar

Back