• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The science behind the gas vs charcoal debate

Another issue in all this, as it applies to cooking and not pure science, is how you are cooking. In truth, if you are cooing in air, versus water, using direct contact, versus circulation, all affects the thermal transfer. And that changes the effect of the heat, not so much in how heat affects the proteins, fats and such, but, in now you can control the effects to your advantage.

In essence, a 350°F cast iron pan offers a different effect on food, than 350°F air currents would. In the end, the amount of heat with have the same overall effect is left uncontrolled, it will eventually burn the food in the same way. But, one will sear, and one will bake, and that matters as much as the actual heat. Gas grills have to use a radiant heat device, with infrared metal baffles or grates becoming increasingly popular, versus using a direct gas flame. Charcoal already offers the type of radiant heat that allows for it's use even without a metal or ceramic radiant heat surface. This is why there are many differences in how each cooks.

I would also note, that most gas grills are actually designed to be simple, almost idiot proof, so that anyone can operate it. That is actually far more key to any discussion about cooking characteristics than most people realize. Even larger units such as the top of the line Webers are designed to allow the average guy to reasonably cook chicken and burgers without a conflagration.

In commercial kitchen design, there is an entirely different set of codes, and the reason is that professional equipment lacks the safety features and built in limits on the amount of heat and the way the heat is delivered. Many commercial gas units such as salamanders, wok burners and high heat sear grills far exceed normal heat outputs, and these require 6 hour firewalls, specialized metal panels and wall materials just to prevent potential fires. It is remarkably easy to burn food in a professional kitchen.

On the flip side, a foot operated wok stove is a think of beauty if you like stir-fry cooking.

Thanks guys. Interesting discussion. So I guess when people make a statement like "charcoal can get up to 600 degrees", they are talking about withing the confines of "normal bbq use". What I'm trying to figure out is: If I can get up to 600 degrees with half a chimney of fully lit coals, if I use a full chimney, am I now at 1200? Forgetting about melting my bbq, is there an upper limit to how much heat can be generated by just adding more fuel? What would happen if I put a grate off the ground at a campfire site, and lit 2 full bags of Kingsford on there? Would it measure 2000 degrees?
No, you're always going to be limited by how much fuel you can expose to the air in a given space.

Remember combustion is fuel + air. You can have a pile of Kingsford the size of your car, but good luck getting the center of it lit.

Also keep in mind that heat is a function of distance. The further you are from a heat source, the less hot it is. That's why you sear steaks right over the coals and cook BBQ some distance from the coals.

Incidentally, propane works exactly the same way. Think about how hot a grill gets on high. Now think about how hot a weed burner gets. Or how about how hot an exploding propane tank would be. Big difference there, right? The thing is, you can't get more heat out of a propane grill without adding different heating elements. It's certainly possible, it's just not as cheap or easy as dumping more charcoal in the grill.

In either case, both fuels can get hot enough to melt metal. Do a search for home forges--you can find them in both propane and charcoal formats.

Back