Shhh Chilli secrets revealed.

Made this today, excellent flavor. I tweaked a few things but basically was true to the recipe. I increased cumin by 2 tsps. (I love cumin) I also increased onion salt a tad. An I only added 46oz. of spicey V8. That appeared to be perfect without making it to soupy. Excellent recipe thanks again. Oh and BTW beans are definitely not needed.

Calling charades on this entire thread.

Base line? Garlic powder? Overload of chili powder (not needed at all to make great chili)? And, rotel to top off your base line?

Glad it got good reviews but from your ingredient list and prep description, I wouldn't feed the stuff to a starved dog. Sounds more like chili you'd find on a roach coach.

Please tell what awards your recipe has won. If they were all in Iowa, I will understand.

Please post your recipe.

Last edited:

Base line? Garlic powder? Overload of chili powder (not needed at all to make great chili)? And, rotel to top off your base line?

Glad it got good reviews but from your ingredient list and prep description, I wouldn't feed the stuff to a starved dog. Sounds more like chili you'd find on a roach coach.

Please tell what awards your recipe has won. If they were all in Iowa, I will understand.

Well, thank you for the laugh today. I find it very entertaing that some people just can not let people enjoy what they like. they have to bash and one up the other. Bravo, your comments did absolutley nothing to me. So good job! And for the other 9 pages of people who enjoy this thread and my Chili, I say party on!!!

If you haven't tried the Chili then why are you bashing it?

I cooked a pot exactly as the recipe was written and have had people coming back and asking me to cook it again. The most positive comments were that it had a really good flavor, just a bit of a kick that went away and let you enjoy a whole bowl.

If you haven't tried the Chili then why are you bashing it?

I cooked a pot exactly as the recipe was written and have had people coming back and asking me to cook it again. The most positive comments were that it had a really good flavor, just a bit of a kick that went away and let you enjoy a whole bowl.

Glad to hear it. Love to share a good chili, and the new ideas this thread has given me.

I'm making it again this friday for another charity event. Only thing i change is adding beans because it's expected in my region. gonna try the spicy V8 this time.

Wow, really dude??? Why does every Terlingua championship chili contain garlic powder & chili powder? The base recipe I use has even more chili powder in it. Everyone likes their chili a little different, no need to bash someones version. I'm still deciding if I'm going to try this recipe as it looks like it has too much tomato product in it for my tastes, but you don't see me bashing it.

Please post your recipe for all to see.

Now if the recipe had beans in it, then it would have been perfectly alright to bash it. :bolt:

Wow, really dude??? Why does every Terlingua championship chili contain garlic powder & chili powder? The base recipe I use has even more chili powder in it. Everyone likes their chili a little different, no need to bash someones version. I'm still deciding if I'm going to try this recipe as it looks like it has too much tomato product in it for my tastes, but you don't see me bashing it.

Please post your recipe for all to see.

Now if the recipe had beans in it, then it would have been perfectly alright to bash it. :bolt:

NO Beans!!!!!!!:becky:

Maybe you should post your super awesome and far superior chili recipe then and see if it gets over 9 pages of comments of how people loved it.
You say Iowa like it's a bad thing? I wasn't aware that Michigan was known for it's superior chili or prestigious chili competitions? Maybe I'm wrong?

Ahh. The Generosity here at the Brethren.
Thanks for sharing, will definitely be giving this a try..

Made your recipe. I used Elk meat cut to chili meat size and Elk pan sausage. I did reduce the amounts of some things in the beginning, but as the cooking progressed, I added those ingredients back to what you called for because it tasted like it needed more. The only things that I ended up changing were adding 6 cloves of garlic, 4 Tbsp. black pepper and 14 oz. beef stock. Thanks for the recipe, it is excellent!! I'm taking it on a hunting trip to feed myself and 3 other guys this week. I'll let you know when we get back, what they think also.

Made your recipe. I used Elk meat cut to chili meat size and Elk pan sausage. I did reduce the amounts of some things in the beginning, but as the cooking progressed, I added those ingredients back to what you called for because it tasted like it needed more. The only things that I ended up changing were adding 6 cloves of garlic, 4 Tbsp. black pepper and 14 oz. beef stock. Thanks for the recipe, it is excellent!! I'm taking it on a hunting trip to feed myself and 3 other guys this week. I'll let you know when we get back, what they think also.

Good ideas on the added items, Hope they all like it also.

here is a post on my recipe and process from a couple of years ago:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154561&highlight=chili

unsweetened chocolate is a good ingredient in chili. It rounds the edges between the different spices and works. I see it mentioned a few times in this thread and just want to toss in my endorsement.

to me, the meat you use is extremely important. Pork butt and brisket is my go to choice. Chuck is my next choice for the beef, but you have to have the pork as well.

Thank you for this post. I boast a good chile myself and this recipe really isn't too far off from mine. The two elements i took from this recipe though were the V8 and the celery. they will both be staples from now. Really adds body to the flavor.

Now as for my signatures, I typically use spicy breakfast sausage sans itallian sausage, and a I add a pack of sazon goya con achiote. and finally BEANS. A ton of them. Black beans go in first to break down and give the broth a smokier flavor. later some red kidneys and finally, pintos to make it creamy.

great post

One nit picky question: Why extra virgin olive oil? Why not just olive oil? Everyone always automatically says EVOO. Where I come from EVOO costs about 3X what the lower cooking grade olive oils cost. And in a dish as complex and highly seasoned as competition chili you would NEVER know the difference.

To me real extra virgin olive oil should be used only on salads or drizzled over grilled vegetables after they are cooked, like that. Never heated.

BTW if you want the real good stuff only buy olive oil from Greece because they are the only country that regulates what can be added. Though I have had some absolutely fabulous olive oils from Turkey as well.

seattlepitboss

Back