• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

X-Mas Rib Roast

RandyMan

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for input on a rib roast for christmas. Would I be better to age a Choice grade rib roast or just buy a prime grade roast. Looking to smoke a prime rib and dont want to break the bank.
Also any suggestion of where purchase a roast from?

I got a choice last week from Sam's Club. Will wet age it and cook it on the 23rd. Have been doing this the last three years and they come out great. If you are going to wet age it, I would suggest getting one ASAP.

Choice will be delicious and tender. Prime even more so if you have the pocketbook and want to splurge. Personally, I always use Choice for PR as I can't justify twice the cost for Prime.

Absolutely choice is the norm.
PLEASE DON'T OVERCOOK it!
And don't call it prime rib, because it isn't.
It is a rib roast.
It will be excellent. What time shall I be there?

Then, you learn to slice it - either by the chop
(unusual, but caveman)
or by the roast.
You get the ribs pointed upward, then slice cleanly along the meat side of the ribs to dislodge the rib roast. Filet the meat off the ribs, curl at the bottom.
You will have a boneless rib roast on your cutting board.
The bones go on a separate plate.
Now take that hunk of meat and slice along the edges in 1/2" thick red, juicy slices.
Enjoy.

It is a rib roast.

Then, you learn to slice it - either by the chop
(unusual, but caveman)
or by the roast.
You get the ribs pointed upward, then slice cleanly along the meat side of the ribs to dislodge the rib roast. Filet the meat off the ribs, curl at the bottom.
You will have a boneless rib roast on your cutting board.
The bones go on a separate plate.
Now take that hunk of meat and slice along the edges in 1/2" thick red, juicy slices.
Enjoy.

Yeah, what mchar said for the most part. Only things I would disagree with is that it most definitely is Prime Rib, and 1/2" slices aren't thick enough :-D

It is a rib roast.

Choice it is!
Dinner to be served at 5:00 pm

Looking for input on a rib roast for christmas. Would I be better to age a Choice grade rib roast or just buy a prime grade roast. Looking to smoke a prime rib and dont want to break the bank.
Also any suggestion of where purchase a roast from?

You don't want to break the bank.. You're hilarious......
:loco:

You don't want to break the bank.. You're hilarious......
:loco:

This is what I call breaking the bank
Lobels of New York
1 (10 lb.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Boned & Tied Rib Roast $789.98
1 (14 lb.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Boned & Tied Rib Roast $1,099.98

This is what I call breaking the bank
Lobels of New York
1 (10 lb.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Boned & Tied Rib Roast $789.98
1 (14 lb.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Boned & Tied Rib Roast $1,099.98

New CostCo flyer has that $1099 Roast. They say it is $300 off! :boxing:

If you have a good local butcher (or even if you have to drive a bit) spend the money and try to get something local. The beef from smaller, local farmers is always superior to the megamart and not that much more (cheaper even if you buy a quarter or a half steer). The local beef tastes, well, beef-ier and better. Totally worth scouting around for a nice grain finished local black angus.

If you have a good local butcher (or even if you have to drive a bit) spend the money and try to get something local. The beef from smaller, local farmers is always superior to the megamart and not that much more (cheaper even if you buy a quarter or a half steer). The local beef tastes, well, beef-ier and better. Totally worth scouting around for a nice grain finished local black angus.

Sounds like a great idea.

Why would you say that?
It most certainly is prime rib.
Prime Rib is a cut, not a grade.
Prime rib is a cut from the primal rib.

It can also be called a standing rib roast.
But to claim it is not Prime Rib is factually incorrect.

I have been wondering what a prime rib really is. So here is what I found on the net.

#1 Prime rib is a classic roast beef preparation made from the beef rib primal cut, usually roasted with the bone in and served with its natural juices (au jus).

Restaurants that serve prime rib are required to use beef that has been graded prime by the USDA. Otherwise they have to call it a standing rib roast, which is decidedly less exciting sounding, or a rib-eye roast for the boneless version.

#2 A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, one of the nine primal cuts of beef. While the entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12, a standing rib roast may contain anywhere from two to seven ribs.

It is most often roasted "standing" on the rib bones so that the meat does not touch the pan. An alternative cut removes the top end of the ribs for easier carving.

Rib eye steaks are cut from a standing rib, boned with most of the fat and lesser muscles removed.

While historically known as a “prime rib”, the USDA does not require the cut "to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef"

Well whatever you call it, I want some and am doing the same for my Christmas dinner.

I have been wondering what a prime rib really is. So here is what I found on the net.

#1 Prime rib is a classic roast beef preparation made from the beef rib primal cut, usually roasted with the bone in and served with its natural juices (au jus).

Restaurants that serve prime rib are required to use beef that has been graded prime by the USDA. Otherwise they have to call it a standing rib roast, which is decidedly less exciting sounding, or a rib-eye roast for the boneless version.

#2 A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, one of the nine primal cuts of beef. While the entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12, a standing rib roast may contain anywhere from two to seven ribs.

It is most often roasted "standing" on the rib bones so that the meat does not touch the pan. An alternative cut removes the top end of the ribs for easier carving.

Rib eye steaks are cut from a standing rib, boned with most of the fat and lesser muscles removed.

While historically known as a “prime rib”, the USDA does not require the cut "to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef"

#1 is incorrect wrt the requirements, #2 is right.

Me too. I will not call a choice rib roast a Prime rib to my guests.
But I will not quibble if someone offers me a slice of their 'prime' rib to me.

I am standing by my statement. Choice rib or Prime rib.
Call it whatever, it's delicioso, as LONG AS IT'S PINK!!

Back