Austin TX BBQ Trip Suggestions

Hss0p

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am taking a 1,500 mile flight to Austin TX for 4 great days. I am going there for BBQ, BBQ, and more BBQ :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have read plenty of websites on what BBQ joints are popular, but I would love the suggestions of real BBQers on where I should go.

On the list already are: Franklin, La Barbeque, John Mueller, and Blacks. Where else should I go? I would like to keep them in or near Austin, but I can travel short distances if it is worth it.

I am looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks!

Daniel Vaughn at TMBBQ is your friend here - anything rated over 4 is gonna be great:

http://tmbbq.com/Region/central/

Franklin's is great for the brisket (and the experience is fun too if you have good people with you - the line is a few hours long). John Mueller's is fantastic, Stiles Switch is great and serves all day an into the night, Go to Snow's on Saturday morning if you can - and if you can't, make it so you can - it's an hour's drive, and more than worth it. Get a soft sided cooler and fill it with sausage to take home - it's better to check than carry on btw. Love the Lockhart spots, the pork chop at Kruez is a standout. I enjoyed Meyer's and Southside Market 30 minutes away in Elgin (you can go there in the evening after hitting the "one run and done" spots earlier in the day). IMO Salt Lick is more about fun than great food. The BBQ there is just OK, but the scenery is incredible (local TX wildlife - esp. 2 legged dears).

I have heard amazing things about Micklethwait Craft Meats, but haven't been there myself.

4 days - you'll be able to get a lot in - I'm jealous!

Don't forget to hydrate!

If you need a little break from BBQ you can hit Tacos More off Rundburg. Just incredible Tex Mex - and cheap too.

Lockhart,tx but you can't do them all in one day there. Kreuz mkt,blacks,smittys. Then taylor,tx louie muellers. I think my favorite was louie muellers for food and franklins for people & I know I'm odd but loved the ribs there. Ask daniel if he( and Aaron ) wears my t- shirts. My logo.

I was just there at the beginning of the month and I highly recommend a food truck called Valentinas. Best Brisket breakfast taco I have ever had. If you are there on a Saturday I would urge you to make your way out to Lexington, Tx. to Snows. Outside of the food I had at Franklins, Snows was the best of the trip. They only serve on Saturday starting at 8 am until they are sold out.

If you go to Franklins, you will waste a WHOLE DAY waiting in line. There are plenty of other options with as good or better BBQ in close proximity. Valentina's is the new, hip place for top notch Q, along with Kerlin, Micklethwait's, John Mueller. Since you have the time because you won't be wasting it standing in line at Franklin's, May I also suggest you take the short drive out to Mueller's in Taylor. It is not far at all, and is truly authentic TEXAS bbq.

Not sure if I missed the boat on this string, but having just hit most of teh places mentioned above, I would recommend Franklin (yes, there is a wait, but it is worth it), La Barbecue, Mickelthwait (great sausage, barbecoa and ribs) and certainly Stiles Switch, which was SO good. If you go there get the Beef rib.

enjoy

If you go to Franklins, you will waste a WHOLE DAY waiting in line. There are plenty of other options with as good or better BBQ in close proximity. Valentina's is the new, hip place for top notch Q, along with Kerlin, Micklethwait's, John Mueller. Since you have the time because you won't be wasting it standing in line at Franklin's, May I also suggest you take the short drive out to Mueller's in Taylor. It is not far at all, and is truly authentic TEXAS bbq.

Actually you can be out of Franklin's by 1pm which leaves a lot of the day for eating at other spots as well. And yes, there are tons of other excellent options that don't involve waiting in line for so long - but by no means is a whole day lost by going to Franklin's and I have yet to hear from anybody who's actually been there that felt it was a waste of time. I went there in the morning and then hit Southside and Meyer's in Elgin for dinner.

I really appreciate all of the responses! Heading there in less than a week, I will come back and post lots of pictures. Thanks guys

Back