Ribs, to glaze or not to glaze

Mooner

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Guy's, without giving away any secrets, what do most of you use to glaze your ribs during that cruicial last hour or so? I have been using Blue's Hog cut with a little water and honey. Litteraly this is one of the best bbq sauces I have ever tasted but for some reason I just don't think it's worked for me in comp. I don't know if it's something im doing wrong or if I should leave out the honey or water or both or switch completely. Anyone have any suggestions??

[Moderator note: Moved to Competition forum for better exposure]

Probably the color that's hurting you. How were your taste scores compared to your appearace?

Probably the color that's hurting you. How were your taste scores compared to your appearace?

Honestly, I think the color is better. Here's the thing. Blue's Hog is pretty sweet already but you need that touch of honey to give it a good shine. Maybe this is whats screwing with the taste. It might be just too sweet. I cooked up a few slabs last night for practice. They were very good but everyone agreed that good isn't gonna cut it. We need fall out of the chair good. I think everything else is there but im definitley thinking about switching sauces.

Honestly, I think the color is better. Here's the thing. Blue's Hog is pretty sweet already but you need that touch of honey to give it a good shine. Maybe this is whats screwing with the taste. It might be just too sweet. I cooked up a few slabs last night for practice. They were very good but everyone agreed that good isn't gonna cut it. We need fall out of the chair good. I think everything else is there but im definitley thinking about switching sauces.

Our ribs for comp are straight forward... Blues Hog Rub, Blues Hog sauce with honey. I ain't giving away any secrets because A LOT of teams around here are doing the same thing.

Try cutting you BH with apple juice instead of honey. I think part of the problem is that it gets too thick with the sweet sauce and sweet honey. It can candy instead of caramelize.

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?

I think you gotta cook for your region, too. So don't stray too far from a KC style sauce, IMHO.

You might be saucing too soon. i wouldn't sauce until the last 15-20 minutes.

I didn't realize there were so many people using Blue's Hog. I'll have to check the stuff out. I put a glaze on mine, only because I notice most other folks are.

Another thing you may try is to put the sauce on for a shorter period of time. If you pout it on and cook for an hour try putting it on and cook for 1/2 hour...15 minutes...or right before turn-in.

You might be saucing too soon. i wouldn't sauce until the last 15-20 minutes.

Another thing you may try is to put the sauce on for a shorter period of time. If you pout it on and cook for an hour try putting it on and cook for 1/2 hour...15 minutes...or right before turn-in.

There's an echo in here. :-D

Our ribs for comp are straight forward... Blues Hog Rub, Blues Hog sauce with honey. I ain't giving away any secrets because A LOT of teams around here are doing the same thing.

Try cutting you BH with apple juice instead of honey. I think part of the problem is that it gets too thick with the sweet sauce and sweet honey. It can candy instead of caramelize.

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?

I think you gotta cook for your region, too. So don't stray too far from a KC style sauce, IMHO.

Hey thanks Plowboy. Yeah the honey makes it super-thick so thats why I usually cut it with some water. In knew this would be a sensitive area and some wouldn't be able to comment but I thought what the heck so any info is appreciated. I don't use Blues Hog rub just the sauce and boy.....is it a good sauce. That's why I just can't see why i think there is something missing but there is. i can tell. Im either doing something I shouldnt or not doing something I should because it tastes different when the ribs come off.

Yeah, maybe thats another reason. I do usualy go at least 45 minutes but again...that could be screwing with the taste.

I didn't realize there were so many people using Blue's Hog. I'll have to check the stuff out. I put a glaze on mine, only because I notice most other folks are.

If you have never had it I would order a jar. It's really unique..probably one of the most unique sauces I have ever tried. It's excellent on ribs.

Last edited:
If you have never had it I would order a jar. It really unique..probably one of the most unique sauces I have ever tried. It's excellent on ribs.
I've heard that over and over and just PM'd Plowboy as we are in need of a better rib sacue for comps. I'd much rather a Brethern brother get some of my money than someone else.

Between the brown sugar, corn syrup, and molasses, I think Blues Hog is already sweet enough. On my first cook with ribs, I added honey and nearly got a cavity from the sweetness! Straight sauce seems to taste just fine. If anything, I would add a hint more hotness.

I've heard that over and over and just PM'd Plowboy as we are in need of a better rib sacue for comps. I'd much rather a Brethern brother get some of my money than someone else.

I'll take all of your money if you are giving it away.

I sure appreciate it. You'll be getting a sample of my rub as well.

Many guys here like the Spicewine products for comp as well, particularly the rubs I hear. Another Brethren to test out.

If you're ever looking for a good chicken sauce, try JP's Spicy Apple or Spicy Pear. For comp, I'd cut it with a little honey. I think you'd have something there that is appealling and yet different from the rest.

Back