Cooking all 4 KCBS meats on 1 smoker, any tips?

tacodude

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to try competitions and I will be using my Humphrey Pint to cook all four KCBS meats at competitions. Any body have any tips or tricks on getting this done? I usually cook Chicken & Ribs at 275 and Brisket & Butt at 250. Looking for any thoughts or help from the Brethren!

I'd put the brisket on. A couple hours later, put the butts on. About 4 hours after that, I'd raise the temp a little and throw the ribs on. Pull from pit, rest, wrap those meats as they finish. Crank the heat up and do the chickens.

First tip is to ask in the comp forum. :grin:

It can absolutely be done in a pint. Used to have one.

Set up the cooker and advanced airflow system to cook 275 on the top grates and 250 on the lower grates. This is what I did and it worked great. Also using a cambro or cooler to pull your brisket and butts early helps tremendously as well.

The top rack of my old pint was a chicken cooking machine.

you need a good timeline.

Get your butts and brisket on early. If you are cooking your big meats at 250. Briskets take about an hour per pound at 250, butts take about 1.5 hours per pound. Once those meats finish cooking, open up your wrap and let heat vent off for about 15minutes, then wrap them up and put them in a cambro or dry cooler. These will hold for 6-8 hours with no issues.

Then bump up your temperature to 275 and do your chicken and ribs.

Time line is the key to this. Know how long it will take each of your meats to cook and build a timeline around that.

In competitions I did, i had an 18in WSM and a UDS to cook. I cook at 300-325 degrees. Here is an example of my timeline

10:30 pmish - Light off WSM and UDS and get them to temp.
No Later than 12 am - Get brisket on UDS and 2 pork butts on WSM.
4-4:30am - Wrap brisket and pork butts and back onto the cookers.
6am - start checking for doneness
7am - all big meats should be off the smoker. Reload WSM with coals and wood, UDS has a large coal basket so no need to reload.
8am - ribs on the UDS
10am - wrap ribs and back on UDS
10:30am - get chicken on WSM
11:00am - pan up chicken and back onto the WSM
11:30am - sauce chicken and back onto WSM to set the sauce, unwrap the ribs and check for doneness.
Noon - Chicken Turn in, after chicken turn in, sauce ribs and put back on cooker for 15 minutes to set sauce.
12:30pm - rib turn in. After rib turn in, glaze pork
1:00 pm - turn in pork and sauce outside of brisket
1:30 pm - turn in brisket

The size of the Humpry's pint you should be able to do the same thing, but just adjust your timeline since your meat timings will be different. I only used the top rack of my UDS and WSM, which is why i used 2 cookers, I probably could of only used my UDS if I used my 2nd rack.

Check out Harry Soo's timelines, you may find Google hits on the WSM forums. He has made timelines public cooking at those temps on a single WSM. Basically he's cooking brisket + butt overnight, then cranking up the temps and doing ribs + chicken.

I cook everything at 300. Butts on at 5, brisket on at 6, ribs on at 8, and chicken on at 10. Good luck and prepared to be addicted.

I do full comps on only my pint. I use 4 grates, butts on first at 4, brisket on at 5. Those are the top two racks (brisket over pork). Then at 7, 4 racks of ribs on the 2 grates below pork which is wrapped at the same time. Brisket and pork are always done by 10, chicken goes on at 10:30.

I would suggest cooking everything at 275, 25 degrees won't make a big difference just adjust your times a little.

I do full comps on only my pint. I use 4 grates, butts on first at 4, brisket on at 5. Those are the top two racks (brisket over pork). Then at 7, 4 racks of ribs on the 2 grates below pork which is wrapped at the same time. Brisket and pork are always done by 10, chicken goes on at 10:30.

I would suggest cooking everything at 275, 25 degrees won't make a big difference just adjust your times a little.

^^^ He had some great scores last time I competed against him.

I'm going to try competitions and I will be using my Humphrey Pint to cook all four KCBS meats at competitions. Any body have any tips or tricks on getting this done? I usually cook Chicken & Ribs at 275 and Brisket & Butt at 250. Looking for any thoughts or help from the Brethren!

I do the same thing. Big meats on at 11 and they're usually off and in the cambro by the time the ribs go on if not shortly thereafter.

^^^^
Bingo - The bigger meats can take the higher heat better than the ribs & chicken - they will get done a little quicker, but they will hold in some sort of warmer for a longer time as well...

Back