Mandolin suggestions

Jeep

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase one. It seems they range from $20 to $200. Does anyone have one that they would recommend. I imagine that it would be most useful in making slaw with all the cabbage and carrots that get cut up. But Cucumbers for pickle slices would save me some knife work too.

If anyone thinks that I should be looking for something other than a mandolin... please feel free to make other suggestions. Sometimes I don't realize that what I need is not what I am asking about.

Thanks
-Jeep

I have a rather expensive Miu Mandolin, all stainless that I have never failed to be disappointed with, the blades dulled quickly, the adjustments are wonky, etc...I learned on an old one, the new one is terrible. I is useless for almost everything but slicing slaw, and if I am in a hurry, buy the time I get it all set up, I can break down three heads of cabbage with my knife and board.

On the other hand, all of the Kyocera ones, for around $20 to $25 bucks are terrific. They are small, effective and handy.

We have a few, from a stainless french one, down to a cheap V slicer. My absolute favorite is this one . Comes with a boatload of blade choices, and it won't break the bank! Ours came with an accessory blade pack, not sure if that's still available. We got ours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond I think

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001THGPDO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DAQ8B&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CN5EADHFG8JN08X2CWA"]Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have an Oscar Reed Smith mandolin, it doesn't sound or play as good as a Gibson, but it notes well, and you can't beat it for $350. :biggrin1:

On a serious note, I also have a Oneida mandoline, about $35 at Kmart, works great for most things. I use it a lot for making different cuts of french fries. Not as versatile as some of the more expensive ones, but it's given me a lot of service over the last couple years.

I've got a Kitchenaid that cost about 50 bucks when I got it that I love.

I've got the same one as Smoke & Stoke. America's Test Kitchen had it rated as their top choice. I now use it all the time, great for french fries, potato chips, fine julienne for stir fries etc.

It's easy to use and very easy to clean, I highly recommend it.

Mandolins are fantastic at removing fingertips, if you don't use the PITA holder thingies that come with them, because chefs use their hands, but you're not a chef. Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

CD

I am looking to purchase one. It seems they range from $20 to $200. Does anyone have one that they would recommend. I imagine that it would be most useful in making slaw with all the cabbage and carrots that get cut up. But Cucumbers for pickle slices would save me some knife work too.

If anyone thinks that I should be looking for something other than a mandolin... please feel free to make other suggestions. Sometimes I don't realize that what I need is not what I am asking about.

Thanks
-Jeep
Very recently, TFO bought a julliene peeler.
Here is a vid to give you the idea, but this German double sided model we got is far more advanced and does far more jobs.
I mention this as an alternative because depending on volumes, it may be a $10 option that is far handier than a mandolin.
It is for us
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1JG5rYdekU"]Pampered Chef Julienne Cutter Demo - Zucchini Spaghetti - Gluten Free GAPS diet - YouTube[/ame]

I use this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364422139&sr=8-1&keywords=v+slicer"]Amazon.com: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 6 Piece Set: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I use the Bron and sometimes an OXO for small kitchen tasks, but I bit the bullet for a Sausage Maker Stainless Steel Cabbage Shredder for coleslaw and sauerkraut making. It weighs about 30 pounds and has 3 cutting blades filling a food / meat tub of cabbage in only a few minutes.

The Sausage Maker sells it for $130.00 but Wiseman Trading has it for $109.00 It has 3 fixed blades and only makes thin slices, perfect for cabbage.
ss_mandoline_slicer.jpeg

You have to buy what suits your needs

I got one of these as a wedding present: OXO Good Grip's chef's mandoline.

Does the job, never had a problem with it.
15425517446339p.jpg

the little holder thingy is kinda a pain to use with smaller stuff, but I imagine it's that way with every mandolin. This is the only mandolin I've ever had so I can't tell if it's a good one or not, but so far I haven't found anything to really dislike.

Wow... so by my count... everyone uses something different.

Tough decision

Looks really cool - will it work on homemade pastrami?:doh:
No, and it wont cut pasta either :laugh:....but it will do all of the below!

Thanks
-Jeep

I can't remember which kind I have, but it has a straight(across) blade. While it works ok, I feel it would "slice" better if the blade were mounted at an angle(across) the unit. That's my 2c., get one with an angled blade.

If you have a kitchen aid stand mixer,they make slicer attachments for it.May be another option.

While I dont have a stand mixer yet... it is also on the list of things to get.

Back