Finally home all the way from Texas--My newly born offset smoker from Lone Star Grillz

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
They sure weren't kidding when they said everything is bigger in Texas. After four months of waiting from the order date she is home safe and sound. BBQ enthusiast or not everyone from neighbors on were like this :jaw:

This thing has exceeded my expectations and never have I bought something sight unseen and been amazed. Built extremely well and works like a dream. You owe it to yourselves if you're considering a new pit. From customer service to support to quality I've never dealt with anyone like this. Pics don't to it justice.

Excuse the pics as some were taken with my cell. Let's get to it.

24x30 vertical offset smoker with the warming oven from Lone Star Grillz in Willis, TX formerly of Conroe, TX.

I heard a truck pull up and stop right in front of my house:becky:

20141024_113301-1.jpg

Ohhh baby!!

20141024_113457.jpg

In the delivery guy's exact words "If your guy does this good of a job on crating then you've got yourself a helluva smoker"

veRQCA-mobg2hgzM0JKYhaaDI9EH2rTpJHRceKWx4xA=w432-h460-no

After taking off the boards and removing the plastic wrap layer plus the cardboard wrapping there was one more layer of wrap.

rgtmmpj46s9BVei2nfZ1nrXZAOvqudKkXjzQym-RnYo=w338-h600-no

And here she is. Not a scratch on her and it's obvious why

IMG_1440.jpg

Now the journey through the side of the house to the back. This is where it got tricky.

4kbe3HkHaQv0XSpgsY7qXWXcoHIyZOfhR6yuY0OJpGw=w390-h503-no

The side entrance of the yard is multi level. There was a drop and incline and the final drop to the new landing pad (concrete pad) I had especially made for the smoker and all my charcoal toys. My dad was along for the ride and we made some makeshift ramps with some old material in my garage and the crate base that the smoker sat on.

Don't worry guys, it was all reinforced underneath :-D

She came down the first flight of stairs and now on it's way up to the back patio.

FPzrUkg6NEFU-eKw3_o9WFygAgdQrVaYyKUDldUHAhk=w190-h600-no

We rolled her up to the back patio without a hitch.

IMG_1450.jpg

I just about used every tool I have in the garage:biggrin1:

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

One more drop and she'll be at her new place:boxing: Ain't easy moving a 1200lb rig up and down flight of stairs.

After modifying the ramp yet one more time (the steepest) we safely landed her on the new pad. :clap2:

I just realized I don't have a good pic of the permanent spot so here's a fast forward to a seasoning pic where she calls home.

fvmAxdcQL0z2t0yzee6vWf-RBqx9duZ9nRTUPVXevXQ=w745-h600-no

Now a break down of the pit (add-ons and such)

Pics of the main chamber

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

Six racks that hold two full size pans. Tuning plates at the bottom

IMG_0477.jpg

First I ordered mine with the warming oven

IMG_0462.jpg

I also added two sausage hangers in the oven (all sausage hangers are removable)

IMG_0464.jpg

Removable plate for full heat source into the oven or however you want to use it

20141028_180105.jpg

20141028_180022.jpg

With the plate on you get radiant heat or crack the plate back a bit for more heat in the oven

20141028_180149.jpg

Oven comes with 3 racks

IMG_0506.jpg

This is the firebox. Charcoal rack and a grilling rack that can be positioned at two levels. Chris makes this factory standard so to speak.

20141028_180803.jpg

I bought the charcoal basket with the removable S baffles and removable expanded metal for easy replacement. HEAVY DUTY and mad of 1/8" steel sheet

IMG_0508.jpg

Did I say HEAVY DUTY? I was curious:loco:

20141028_181938.jpg

Second thermo was also an option as it comes with only one

IMG_0494.jpg

Bottle opener was an idea that I had so Amber told me to send one and they'll attach for me. (No charge for that)

20141024_165142.jpg

Other option I had Chris add was a pull handle and cool touch handles on the damper rods

R3Lf1n65mwxkiEqBFtPmEiV3oIYUid4xcAMOFdcP8no=w900-h462-no

Folding table was another accessory

IMG_0497.jpg

Ash rake and charcoal tools are accessories as well which I added. Also, another accessory was the tool rack in the back.

IMG_0495.jpg

Guru port was one other option I added. Now there is a 3/4" threaded adapter that comes with all LSG offset pits standard for gas assist but you can also run guru fans if you add another port. You need the fan adapters from BBQGURU.com

IMG_0498.jpg

I also had Chris add two probe holes for the Mavericks, CyberQ, DIGIq's etc.

20141028_181021.jpg

20141028_181041.jpg

Added the ball valve for easier clean up

OvpzmTUIRmd2IyncV_riYI3BIT2YgsWywiMgLwnmSQk=w1118-h622-no

Oh I almost forgot. I also added a pullout ash pan for easier clean up. Again, heavy duty 1/4" steel with handles.

20141027_090012.jpg

I think that's all the option WHEW!!!

A few pics of the seasoning process. I started off slowly to keep it at 225-250 max to cure the paint

IMG_0490.jpg

She holds temps like a champ all across the main chamber.:thumb:

20141026_190308.jpg

So easy to control this thing it's not even funny.

IMG_0486.jpg

Look at that beautiful patina after seasoning.

20141028_180624.jpg

And I did a quick weeknight something cook in the oven. Pork butt chunks on my custom PBC skewers. I also used the PBC basket since I didn't need much fuel. I controlled the heat with the bottom intake and one of oven dampers. Nailed it at 350 with no issues. Im simply amazed.

20141027_192909.jpg

20141027_192920.jpg

20141027_200511.jpg

Done in about 1 hour and absolutely delicious and tender

20141027_202905.jpg

Still charcoal left

20141027_203219.jpg

This is it for now guys!! Hope I was thorough enough. More to come for sure.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
That's a really nice looking smoker you got there. I'm impressed just looking at the pictures. Really like those options you added.

BTW, I didn't see you mention who made it. I can hazard a guess and those that follow this board probably know but just in case someone happens into this thread that knows nothing about Texas pit makers :)

That's a really nice looking smoker you got there. I'm impressed just looking at the pictures. Really like those options you added.

BTW, I didn't see you mention who made it. I can hazard a guess and those that follow this board probably know but just in case someone happens into this thread that knows nothing about Texas pit makers :)

Thanks bud! Holy Crap I didn't even realize that. I guess I assumed and also forgot.:redface: Fixed now.

Pit's made by Lone Star Grillz (Chris Goodlander) in Willis, TX.

Looks awesome!! Congrats post some details on your first brisket, ribs, and butts.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these also.

Looks awesome!! Congrats post some details on your first brisket, ribs, and butts.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these also.

Thanks brother. You bet! I'm taking a vacation next week and plan to do a nice big cook with brisket, ribs, beef ribs, butts. I'll post for sure.

Very nice. Looks like a quality product and well thought out options you chose.

That is one fine looking weapon! How often do you have to feed it once it's hot?

Wow...that's even better than I imagined. That smoker is freakin awesome!

Fantastic cooker! Great detailed description and seems like it will last a lifetime. Bring on the cooks!

Beautiful pit, man! You are gonna love that thing!!!!

Back