Knife Sharpening

Rednekked

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
If there is one thing I can't stand it's a dull knife. I'm sure most everybody knows how invaluable a good sharp edge is on your knifes at a comp. I'm using cheapo crap on my blades now but am about to go to something better and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions? Something less than $100 would be nice.

If you are talking a sharpener for less than $100, this is close at $131.21 and free shipping.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Sharpener-Edition/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414616570&sr=8-1&keywords=ken+onion+knife+sharpener"]Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zHVsFiTSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41zHVsFiTSL[/ame]

... was wondering if anybody has any suggestions? ...
Two schools of thought... hand and machine. Good machine sharpeners or water / oil stones will generally run above $100, in some cases way beyond. All depends upon what time you have available.
I fought this myself just recently. With my woodworking stones still being in good sharp, it made the decision easier. Just a little more time consuming. On the other hand, the feeling of accomplishment was vastly improved.

Maybe I am a dumbass, but I use this.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/"]AccuSharp 001 Knife Sharpener - - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416yXFCe1KL.@@AMEPARAM@@416yXFCe1KL[/ame]

10 bucks, and I love my knives.

i have a local knife shop that if you buy a knife from them you get lifetime sharpening. i just run it by there every few weeks and its all ways crazy sharp.

Finally I get to post, not just lurking and learning.....(thanks to everyone for all the info)

I have a woodworking background and spend a huge amount of time sharpening (30 minutes or more per chisel), you can shave with my hunting knives and chisels, and have so many wet and dry stones it's almost absurd.

Get yourself a sharpening steel, learn how to use it, and you will never have a dull knife again....unless you let the wife use it then all bets are off...I can't believe what she can do to a knife in such a sort amount of time.

For almost 50 years now I've used nothing but a good wetstone and a steel.

I've always believed that my knives were sharp, but got confirmation when I had a professional chef once cooking with me, using one of my knives, a cheap one at that, slicing chicken breasts to thin cutlets, who was shocked at how sharp it was and wanted to know where I got it sharpened. He was even more surprised when told that I sharpen it myself.

Boy Scouts taught me well.

Restaurant owner/friend gave me this tip.......It is fairly common for restaurants to have two sets of knives they use. One is in the kitchen and the other, a "swing" set that the sharpening company has in shop. The theory is they come in every week and exchange out the sets until the knives get thin enough they don't want to sharpen and replace (often at little to no charge). I went to the shop and asked if they had any of the "worn out" knives. They had a LOT. I use boning knives and scimitars. The blades were worn about 50% of new and turned the boning knives into fillets which I prefer. The beauty of this deal was the prices. $3 for scimitars and $1.50 for the boning. I had him sharpen for $3 buck each. All but one of them was a Dexter white handle and the other was a black handle. I got 2 scimitars and 4 boning for less than a price of one new. When one gets dull there is a replacement at hand. I am guessing there is such places in most towns, but if anyone wants this company's number, PM me.

My wife used to wood turn as a hobby. Now her hobby is breeding Labrador Retrievers. When she started our kennel she got rid of her lathe but not her sharpening equipment. Give her a knife and 15 minutes and she can get the knife scary sharp.

I have an Apex edge pro 2 kit + I bought a few extra stones that didn't come with that kit after the fact.

Simple to use and provides excellent results.

I keep a note w/ the kit that tells me what angle to sharpen each knife at so I don't have to figure it out every time.

I use a spyderco sharp maker and a polished sharpening steel have been thinking about an edge pro. Would love a wicked edge but not spending that much.

The edge pro has several kits. Which kit does everyone recommend? Im not worried about price but don't want to over spend on something i don't need. I will GLADLY pay for a quality sharpening kit.

Back