Shirley Fab vs Southern Pride

grill 'em all

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Taking a demo Southern Pride 300 for a test drive
008-1.jpg

To see what the auto cooker has under it's hood it must go toe to toe with my pride & joy,"Waylon"
009.jpg

Having never used a gas assisted cooker(& not fond of the thought) this Southern Pride job better be on its A game..
005-2.jpg

More details to come in this epic new school vs old school battle!!
Any thought on who'll come out on top?

Thanks,
Jay

My money is on the Shirley because you know it, but that the Southern Pride will make better Q than you expected.

Kind of depends on what you are judging specifically. The Southern Pride will put out a ton of quality Q and do so very easily, presuming that it's working correctly.

The Shirley will also put out a ton of good Q, presuming you do things correctly, but it will be more work any way you cut it.

Interesting, I'll double down on the Shirley for taste & texture. Does the Southern Pride have any way to add wood smoke or is it straight gas?

Pretty sure that all SP's have a way to add wood smoke, tis what qualifies them to be called smokers :razz:

Indeed they do... the part that caught my attention was this:

Gas Fired Ignition System:
Eliminates the need to manually ignite the wood. The electronic pilot - gas burner fires into the firebox, igniting the wood and assuring 100% combustion of the wood. The burner initially bring the internal oven temperature to the set point and continues to cycle as needed to maintain a constant internal oven temperature. This eliminates the need for training skilled employees to barbecue. This saves countless dollars in labor, food cost and wood usage. 75,000 BTU

http://www.southern-pride.com/_new/products/product-details.php?smokerID=SPX-300-Mobile

Maybe I could finally start cooking some good BBQ if I had one of these jobbers. :wink:

Interesting, I'll double down on the Shirley for taste & texture. Does the Southern Pride have any way to add wood smoke or is it straight gas?

Pretty sure that all SP's have a way to add wood smoke, tis what qualifies them to be called smokers :razz:

Going a bit further, the 300 is thermostatically controlled and has a 50K gas burner for gas assist. Has a firebox in it that you throw fireplace sized logs or splits into and the 50K burner ignites the wood and starts it burning. If the chamber temp drops, the thermostat fires the 50K burner to bring the chamber temp back up to your set point.

Best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had was at Peg Leg Porker. I don't remember if he uses a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory, but either way it's a gas cooker with a wood chamber. I guarantee it can give you a good smoky flavor when used properly.

Like we always say around here, it's the cook, not the equipment.

My money is on the Shirley. Paul and Tyler put their hearts and souls into every unit they build.
Cookin' with love is what it's all about and I bet you can taste the love that went into that smoker. :mrgreen:

Today has been filled w/fun things like placing orders w/wholesalers,arguing over invoices, dealing with the credit/debit card companies & filling out(more)FDA red tape paperwork.. I did manage to get Waylon scraped out & pressure washed so he's prepared for battle!! Did two dozen chicken wings on the SP 300 just for kicks..Set it on 290* & let em ride for 60 min..Not bad at all..0% gas taste..I really wish this could be done at home just for fun.. BBQ is MUCH more enjoyable without the whole 'gotta make a living out of this' thing happening.. Pics will be harder to come by as the grind of opening day approaches..

Back