As a Judge - Some judges just piss me off

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Judged a comp last weekend, sat next to a MASTER judge. When we started to judge chicken i noticed he pulled ALL the skin off every piece and ate just the meat. After I asked him, I noticed you pulled off all the skin, why? His reply?, I do not like skin and the sauce on it......... Now to me if you do not like skin or the sauce you might NOT need to be here!!! That pissed me off

I wish there was a way to hold a judge accountable for what he does wrong, like 1 warning and then the second time cannot judge for a year or something.

As a judge I personally take my job very serious, cooks spend way to much money and time for us as judges not to give each and every one of them a fair and honest judging. Sorry, rant over :-o

Your responsibility as a judge observing this action was to inform the Table Captain. The TC's responsibility is to report this to the REP who should have spoken with that judge and corrected the situation. That is where the accountability comes in. Don't just watch a problem and complain about it later. It needs to be corrected on the spot.

As judges WE MUST police ourselves in order to provide the best possible judging for the cook teams and the sport!

Your responsibility as a judge observing this action was to inform the Table Captain. The TC's responsibility is to report this to the REP who should have spoken with that judge and corrected the situation.

As judges WE MUST police ourselves in order to provide the best possible judging for the cook teams and the sport!

I did report it to the TC and I also reported it to the KCBS reps. He said he will talk to him. But so what, ohhhhh I got talked to by the rep. There is NO
Repercussions and this will continue to happen until
Something is in place to make a judge accountable.

And as cooks I would get together as one unit and force the KCbS to put
Something in place.

Pretty simple solution to this problem. Three warnings or three strikes and you're out. Would take some paperwork but not too difficult. Simple data base.

I've cut way back on judging for the reason of many judges aren't not trained properly or they have their own agenda. I'm a master judge that has many contests under my belt, but I'm a smoker builder and a cook before judging. Have no idea how some of these people look at the meats and wish it was something else, or didn't like that cut and thinking they are contributing. People jumping from either six or nine and going way more extreme than correct. Example a table with five 9's for appearance and one clown says it's a five because I didn't get burnt ends or something as stupid. Many cooks are grumbling and the banquet is coming up. Put these complaints to good use and vote more cooks in and start asking about judge reforms. This whole deal has went from being fun and rewarding to a downright crap shoot and it should not be this way. The board needs to hear this and be held accountable. No fun in a crap shoot and many are cutting back or quitting because of it. From what I've seen we need to fix this quick and make things better. The board keeps taking judge money but has a flawed system, which is wrong. Steve

The only thing that the KCBS would be able to do would be to strip him of his CBJ status.

They have no authority on who judges or does not judge an event.

If you see this happening in the future, I would suggest speaking with the organizer or ask the reps to speak with him/her. They are the ultimate authority on who gets to judge a specific event.

Eric

That's my point, vote for getting some authority, to have a better handle and to be able to sanction or terminate. This is a privilege, not a right. The whole judging deal sucks now, with KCBS .

We have cooked in Backyard KCBS and unsanctioned events for the past couple years with decent success. It's always been in our mind that once we start hitting real consistently we would move up to KCBS Pro. When I see posts like this though, I wonder whether switching to Pro is worth the time/money/effort involved. But then again, I have noticed that the same teams seem to constantly place well.

I've cut way back on judging for the reason of many judges aren't not trained properly or they have their own agenda. I'm a master judge that has many contests under my belt, but I'm a smoker builder and a cook before judging. Have no idea how some of these people look at the meats and wish it was something else, or didn't like that cut and thinking they are contributing. People jumping from either six or nine and going way more extreme than correct. Example a table with five 9's for appearance and one clown says it's a five because I didn't get burnt ends or something as stupid. Many cooks are grumbling and the banquet is coming up. Put these complaints to good use and vote more cooks in and start asking about judge reforms. This whole deal has went from being fun and rewarding to a downright crap shoot and it should not be this way. The board needs to hear this and be held accountable. No fun in a crap shoot and many are cutting back or quitting because of it. From what I've seen we need to fix this quick and make things better. The board keeps taking judge money but has a flawed system, which is wrong. Steve

Put these complaints to good use and vote more cooks in and start asking about judge reforms. ... The board needs to hear this and be held accountable. No fun in a crap shoot and many are cutting back or quitting because of it. From what I've seen we need to fix this quick and make things better. The board keeps taking judge money but has a flawed system, which is wrong. Steve
YES. This absolutely cannot be emphasized enough. The only pitfall is that it will take more than one election cycle to remove entrenched incumbents and turn the tide, but cooks need to keep this at the forefront of their voting agenda.

And until that has had time to work:
If you see this happening in the future, I would suggest speaking with the organizer or ask the reps to speak with him/her. They are the ultimate authority on who gets to judge a specific event.
Eric
YES. Whether or not KCBS chooses to be proactive on this issue is rendered moot by organizers being more selective about the judges they accept, and judges and cooks should keep open lines of communication with those organizers.

There will always be some who will retain sloppy reps and inept judges, hoping that there will always be enough newbie teams who haven't been burned yet and haven't figured it out, but experienced teams should not funnel their money to organizers and contests that do not keep the teams' interests as a priority. Give unequivocal feedback about both negative AND positive experiences, because who will know what you liked or didn't if you just fade away?

For one this does not set good with me at all. I work dang hard to earn a shot for the calls or a walk that does come around. In the last few weeks I have seen 1st hand judges show up late, extra tables added to accommodate extra judges and now hearing judges pulling chicken skin off because they DONT LIKE SKIN OR THE SAUCE!!!!
Sorry but this upsets me as a cook... AND now in the back of my mind I have some BAD judge downing all teams because we left the skin ON.... I know it was not said a down score was given to that team... But how should we as teams take this news?
huh.... Wonder if other sanctioned body's have these issues?

Sounds like a a master judge we have here in Ca that squeezes chicken with her fingers..and teaches that chit to other judges..at least this is what I've heatd from multiple teams..sorry I cook for teeth not fingers..She's gotta go IMO

I did report it to the TC and I also reported it to the KCBS reps. He said he will talk to him. But so what, ohhhhh I got talked to by the rep. There is NO
Repercussions and this will continue to happen until
Something is in place to make a judge accountable.

And as cooks I would get together as one unit and force the KCbS to put
Something in place.

I don't know what event this was or who the judging coordinator was, but as an organizer who takes judge selection very seriously I would ask that the next time you encounter such a situation you make sure that you speak with the person in charge of picking the judges. Getting as much feedback as possible is essential to the job of creating a quality judge pool. Such a report about a judge at an event I was running, if confirmed, would result in that CBJ's application going to the round file for all future contests.

If you can't leave your personal biases at home and follow the simple rules and instructions played at every single judges meeting (that you swore an oath to uphold, by the way) then you have no business sitting at a KCBS judging table.

So, last we weekend I judged my first KCBS competition. I got certified almost a year ago, but this was the first comp to select my app to judge. I cook one comp a year, with plenty of practice beforehand, so I understand the financial and time commitment (not to mention the sleep deprivation) each team puts into a box filled with 6+ portions of chicken, ribs, pork and brisket.

My experience at my table, and observing the other 40+ KCBS judges/table captains at the comp is that they wanted to do a good job and be fair to the cook teams competing for calls and walks. I know there are some who took the judges class, got the badge and don't really listen to the oath. It is wrong when that happens, but it is incumbent on those at the table to step up and say something. We cannot always right the wrong before us, but we can do our best to prevent it from happening again.

I will continue to compete and judge, because I love to cook, and I love good BBQ. And I want to see excellence rewarded.

Smoke On!!

Pretty simple solution to this problem. Three warnings or three strikes and you're out. Would take some paperwork but not too difficult. Simple data base.

Let's see, A MCBJ and they should get three strikes. OK that means probably 18 teams, at $1,000 each in contest expenses.
Pretty expensive "Re-Training" program.

A Rep should have the responsibility and authority to suspend the judge for intentional misconduct.

Civil War - wish I could thank you more than once. Oh, I guess I just did.

Organizer has to know. In our neck of the woods organizers talk with each other.
About teams and about judges. We all look out for each other so all our contests are as good as we can make them.

And the original poster did it right - notify locally then share with a wider audience. Thanks to you too.

Back