I feel Dumb ... garnish question

fuggsandfoach

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have read the past posts about garnish. They were very helpful.

My issue is parsley is horrible to find up here. I went to 3 stores today to even scope out the prospects and they all looked like a lawnmower ran over them .

Here is what may packet says :

The official New England Barbecue Society scoring system will be used, and NEBS standard garnish rules apply.
Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are prohibited. (Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on Appearance).

Question: Does this mean I can use Romaine or Boston lettuce instead of parsley ? I am just trying to find another option.

thank you for understanding.

Having to talked to your local grocery store's produce manager? maybe if he/she knows it will sell, they can order some fresh in for you?

But green leaf, fanned out, is what we use in 2 of our boxes. We'll go through a few heads, to make sure the color and "curliness" match.

perfect thank you ... our produce sucks for some reason.. and sadly all the farmers markets are Sat. Morning around here

your support has been amazing. I was so afraid to ask .. :)

Ask in the produce department if they have a fresh case. that's what we do and they always bring one out for us to pick through.

More than likely they will have fresher cases in the back.

I have read the past posts about garnish. They were very helpful.

My issue is parsley is horrible to find up here. I went to 3 stores today to even scope out the prospects and they all looked like a lawnmower ran over them .

You might try Restaurant Depot. At my local RD in Dearborn MI, I've bought a bag of 10 bunches of parsley for $4.95 and it was all in very good shape. If you are in Taunton I think nearest RD is in Cranston RI or Needham MA. Just show your KCBS card to get a day-pass to shop there.

Another option is to get a local resturant to order some. We have a friend who has one and can usually get parsley delivered in two days. He doesn't even have to order a whole case. We buy it from him and sell some to other teams if they need it.

perfect thank you ... our produce sucks for some reason.. and sadly all the farmers markets are Sat. Morning around here

your support has been amazing. I was so afraid to ask .. :)

Dude, you're new here, but you'll soon learn - you don't have to be afraid to,ask questions here. The Brethren are always willing to help answer questions, and more.

I've seen Brethren giving other teams meat to cook at comps, I had someone bring garnish to a comp for me because I,couldn't find any parsley.

Welcome to the Brethren, by the way.

what's the reasoning behind not being able to use kale?

Dude, you're new here, but you'll soon learn - you don't have to be afraid to,ask questions here. The Brethren are always willing to help answer questions, and more.

I've seen Brethren giving other teams meat to cook at comps, I had someone bring garnish to a comp for me because I,couldn't find any parsley.

Welcome to the Brethren, by the way.

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

You might try Restaurant Depot. At my local RD in Dearborn MI, I've bought a bag of 10 bunches of parsley for $4.95 and it was all in very good shape. If you are in Taunton I think nearest RD is in Cranston RI or Needham MA. Just show your KCBS card to get a day-pass to shop there.

Ditto. The parsley I get in Restaurant Depot is far better than what I get in the supermarkets. And cheaper.

Welcome to The Brethren. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Back