First Competition

BubbaJ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello I just wanted some pointers on what to expect on my first KCBS competition. It wont be until Sept. 26, 27th. I am starting out with a backyard smoker an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Thanks.

Yes, have fun. Also, I would recommend get a good night's sleep on Thursday night, as you won't on Friday.

Hydrate. With water. I like to drink as much (or more) as the next guy, and mixing in some bottles of water will make things go much smoother.

If you're nervous about making your times, build in a lot of extra time. Items will stay plenty hot in a cooler/cambro, but you can't do much if it's 12:50 and your pork isn't done. My first couple contests, we had our brisket and pork done by 9:00. Now we cut it closer, because we're more comfortable, but meat still gets done on it's own time.

My biggest thing is get everything you can get done at home, done at home. Make rubs/injections/sauces, trim meat, etc. It's easier to do at home, more comfortable to do at home, and is one less thing you have to worry about while you're there.

I thought that you had to have the meat in the package it came in. So I can trim meat at home but that's it right nothing else? Also after trimming the meat what do I put it in afterwards?

There are a lot of great threads on here for first timers so I suggest you spend some time reading those as well as the responses here.

I agree that one of the biggest things is do as much as you can possibly do at home. Make all your rubs, injections and sauces before and label them well. Trim all your meat at home so you do not have to worry about that there on Friday. I've seen teams trimming chicken as late as 7am on Saturday and that just makes no sense to me.

Make yourself and detailed timeline and try your best to stick to it, but don't fret when you get off schedule because it will happen at your first event. Make it your goal to turn in every meat (no missed turn ins), not get DQ'd, and to not be DAL. Also, remember to have fun!

I thought that you had to have the meat in the package it came in. So I can trim meat at home but that's it right nothing else? Also after trimming the meat what do I put it in afterwards?

You do not need to use the original packaging. We use these...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-Large-5-Count/dp/B003U6A3C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406045713&sr=8-1&keywords=large+ziploc+bags"]Amazon.com: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zH2qL5qiL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zH2qL5qiL[/ame]

The large are great for chicken (a little big) and the XL are perfect for butts, ribs, and brisket.

Those work well, I use my foodsaver and vacuum seal it. Either way will work. But it can not be seasoned, injected, anything like that. Only trimmed.

I was just wondering if the one smoker is going to be ok for all four categories? I don't have the money to buy another smoker until next year.

Keep in mind you don't have to do all 4 categories. If you are scared of brisket, then just do chicken, ribs and pork. I agree you are already there and its not a ton extra to do but you need to enjoy it above all and if you are overwhelmed, you might try sitting brisket out. Just an idea.

You can do them all on one smoker. just plan your times accordingly. You might have to start your butts and brisket sooner so you can make sure they are off the smoker when you need to put your ribs and chicken on. Make sure you go and have a good time. Some of the best people you will ever meet will be at these competitions. At the end of the day 5 random people will judge your food for a few minutes but the friends and contacts you make will last a lot longer. Plan, prepare and put out the best product you can is what we all do.

I was just wondering if the one smoker is going to be ok for all four categories? I don't have the money to buy another smoker until next year.

The key is timing... Cook the briskets and butts overnight and have them out of the smoker and resting in a cooler or cambro by the time you have to put the ribs and chicken in.

One other piece of advice that I give to new teams is to do a full mock competition in your yard or driveway. Set up exactly as you plan on the the real comp and cook to the standard turn in times, including building boxes. That will tell you if you have timing issues and will also let you verify that you have everything that you need.

cook bbq like you know how.

turn in good bbq on time.

dont get dq'd.

Pack up and go home.

Complain about the money and how tired you are.

Start thinking about the next contest.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
BAM! first one. Cook bbq like you know how. Don't change your process or do something you heard someone else does. Do what you do. I'm going to go on a limb and say that if you are going to try an kcbs event that you have probably practices all 4 categories at some point at home.

You need to do a practice cook at home to ensure you know your timelines to fit all that meat on the one smoker. Like Ron said, you'll need to have the big meats off before the ribs and chicken so do a full practice cook before the competition so you can adjust as needed.

Bunch of good replies here. Did my CBJ cook along last weekend. Until about 4:30am Saturday morning it was like being in the backyard. Then the work hits! Timeline, make notes, have fun, meet others, have fun, take box pics to look at when you get your scores back, do not hate the judges, have fun.

The grill I have is an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn 1,060 smoker from Walmart.

Nice smoker. They can get a little tight on space especially if your doing all 4 categories. I would recommend bringing a Weber or something similar for a little extra room and backup.

This helped me out tremendously when I was competing.

Make a checklist at home so you know what to bring. Knives, tongs, forks, paper towels, cleanser, dish soap, gloves, etc...etc... You'll be surprised at just how much stuff you need. Don't forget the small stuff. This is what will break you more than anything else.

Bring a small dry erase board and an old school dial kitchen timer. Pace out the distance from your booth to the turn-in table so you know how long it takes you to get there and back. Write this on the white board. You'll be surprised at how long it takes. If you have a partner or a dedicated runner it will help, but a lot of 1st timers show up and it's just them doing everything so you need to take this into account.

Write the turn-in times on the board for each category, then set timer for 10 minutes before 1st turn in. Now you know how long you have to make 1st turn-in and what meat you're supposed to be doing. Be as early as possible as per the rules from the cooks meeting because you will need all the time you can get to make the next turn-in. You will be surprised how fast time flies. It should only take you 3-5 minutes tops to set up your turn-in box but if something goes wrong, you have a few extra minutes to reset your sauce or get new slices or fix whatever happened. Because SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENS!!!. Get your turn-in boxes garnished and ready before you need them and have them in the cooler to keep it fresh so you can just pull and use them without futzing with'em.

The big reason for the white board is to remember the order of meats.
It's a double blind judging, and usually the person at the turn-in table will examine the meats in the box, but sometimes with a lot of entries, they're just taking them in and the first time the box is opened is when the table captain presents the box for appearance to the judges. I can't tell you how many times, the box was opened and the wrong meat was inside. Judging for X and got Y. Oooops. DQ'd.

The white board just helps to keep things straight and when you get back, reset timer for how much time is left, less 10 minutes.
Once you get into a rhythm, you should be fine.

Bring a notebook. Write down when you put the meat on, what the temp of the smoker was, and anytime you opened the smoker for any reason like to mop or spritz. The reason is that you will be surprised at how often you actually do this. It's a nervous thing almost every first time competitor does. They're worried about what's happening, what the temp is, etc... and they open the cooker way too much to "check" and everytime you do, you loose heat. So now extra time is needed to get back up to temp. Write down temps of the meat at various times. eg: the 6 hour mark, 9 hour mark, etc. When the meat stalled and hit the plateau. What temp this occurred at. How long it sat there before moving again and how long it took to get to full temp. What meats were added at what time while others were still cooking and what those temps were.

All this information will be invaluable for your next contest to help you get your times down better and better so you know if your cooker is cooking fast or slow and how long it takes to make adjustments to get them done in time.

For big cuts, even if they're done a few hours early, they'll hold temp. for chicken and ribs, these cool off too darn quick and if they're done early and you try an hold them, they can get over cooked really fast and the meat ends up falling off the bone and won't hold together.

So in conclusion and sorry for the long winded response, take notes, take notes, take notes. but have fun too. Just remember, you spent a couple of hundred dollars to enter, another couple of hundred on meat and how many hundreds on all the materials. Take this seriously and you could win back some of that investment and maybe even a few grand or more.

cook bbq like you know how.

Turn in good bbq on time.

Dont get dq'd.

Pack up and go home.

Complain about the money and how tired you are.

Start thinking about the next contest.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

^^^^^truth^^^^^^

Back