Hey guys a few questions??

Brother-n-law-BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys we are cooking our first comp in about 3 weeks in Franklin NC, in the Backyard division.We are pumped and nervous at the same time! It is a KCBS event, so most of the rules are on their website, but I was wondering about if we needed a hand washing station at our site? If so does anyone have any ideas on a cheap/easy solution? Thanks for your advice/answers and if you guys have any more tips I am all ears!

Large urn 40 cup coffee maker - should run about $35, or much less if you can find one in a thrift store. Handles both heating and dispensing.

Get the kind with the push to serve valve for easy control. Fill 'er up with cold water and plug in for hot water in about 10 min - then unplug. Power her up again if the water gets too cool. Just don't let it heat up all the way or you'll get burned!

P.S. - Though not usually required unless you are serving to the public, it is always a good idea for sanitation to have hand washing available. You can get by in a pinch with paper towels and hand sanitizer, but nothing beats good old soap and water for cleaning up greasy hands.

Last edited:
Not required by KCBS. Use food service disposable gloves during any food prep and food handling.

A three tub wash station would work for you. You can buy these bus tubs pretty cheap at Sam's or Costco. Wash, rinse, and sanitize.

Do not forget to have something to dump the wash tubs into when the water gets dirty. We use couple of 5 gal plastic buckets with handles.

We use a couple of water storage containers for the fresh water, remember you have to haul them full of water :doh: (Walmart).
Three wash tubs (SAMs) wash-rinse-sanitize
A Bun drip coffee brewer with plastic pots to heat the water
2 5 gal plastic buckets that I got from a house painter to haul the wast water
A folding table to set up the wash station.

Works good for us.
We get keep everything clean over the 2 days of smoking.
Good luck.:clap2:

A three tub wash station would work for you. You can buy these bus tubs pretty cheap at Sam's or Costco. Wash, rinse, and sanitize.

Don't waste your space on a three tub station! It'll take up a whole table and you'll need the space for other things. Get an inexpensive plastic wash tub from Lowes or HD, run your water line up to it, and put a 5gl bucket under it for draining. Do what others have said to get some hot water (the coffee container) and use the hot water for hand/dish washing. You will then have a spot to wash your hands as needed and clean your area. Make sure to use disposable gloves for handling all meat.

Unless you're serving food, they do not require you have the three tub station and even then I'm not sure they enforce it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_552877-6932...1&currentURL=?Ntt=plastic+wash+tub&facetInfo=

Last edited:
Unless you're serving food, they do not require you have the three tub station and even then I'm not sure they enforce it.

A three bin setup is required by KCBS rules.

Rule 18(d)

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water). Each contestant will provide a separate container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

II can't remember ever having that checked, but it is in the rules, so it could be checked at any time.

Aluminum foil and aluminum pans are your newest and bestest friends.

Take a couple of cheap plastic food trays (like those in a sandwich shop) and wrap them in aluminum foil as your working surface for many of your processes. Then simply throw the foil away and rewrap the tray. You should always have at least one clean tray wrapped and ready to go from the time you arrive until the final box goes to the judges. Minimize the amount of washing that you have to do. (Not saying you don't have to wash - just minimize the residue on your food tools that has to be cleansed).

Learning to cook and clean with restricted amount of water was one of my toughest adjustments to cooking at a contest.

And trim your meat before you go to the contest. That gets rid of the biggest mess. KCBS allows you to trim before you go; you just cannot season before you go.

Clorox Clean-Up is my second best friend....

also... grab some 1-1/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe. mine are 23 inches long. for leg extensions . makes he folding tables a lot nicer on your back.

disposable cutting boards are also a great addition. We always used to have greasy nasty boards to wash during and after a comp, with disposables, no worries, use 'em, toss 'em, done. Now we go home with 1 tub with dirty knives, brushes, etc, and clean them when we get home

also... grab some 1-1/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe. mine are 23 inches long. for leg extensions . makes he folding tables a lot nicer on your back.

Ditto. And ditto on saving the back. Pay the nice guy at the hardware store double for those table leg extensions...

I think d. is the answer you seek...:cool:

18) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply: a. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
b. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks, cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is required.
c. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water). Each contestant will provide a separate container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.
e. First aid is not required to be provided by the contest, except at the election of the contest organizer.
f. Prior to cooking, meat must be maintained at 40° F or less.
g. After cooking, all meat: Must be held at 140° F or above OR Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows: Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

Back