Pork steak ideas...all you St Louis and mid western folks give it up!

fatty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok I picked up some beauty pork steaks...had the butcher cut me 1 inch steaks off a full shoulder.
I have been reading and I wanna do a mix of tastes...some salt pepper garlic. Some in a salty rub I make some in a traditional st loius way.
so I need info on:
Cooking techniques.
rubs
sauces
I read all kinds of conflicting reports...on ditect/indirect heat.
sear no sear, oven after cooking etc...
I will post photos soon of the raw meat.
but they are just ovet 1 inch and have fat and skin on.
sooooo tasty looking.
lets hear your thoughts!
Thanks,
F

What's the traditional st. Louis way?

I love pork shoulder steaks but haven't done them that way.

I would like to hear. I know a lot of folks that just grill them, like steaks.

But, I have also heard all sorts of different ways from folks in MO. Would love to hear from folks there.

I never heard of pork steaks till we moved here(50 miles due east of St. Louis). Not sure of anything special they do in Mo.. I've never had any that thick either. I've seen them at Dierberg's that thick.

Edit: I do the Scenario 1 with mine.

The traditional st Louis way is grilling them and then putting them in a maulls bbq sauce bath until fork tender. I personally love them best straight up grilled but they're really good the traditional way too except we use sweet baby rays thinned with some beer. Were not the biggest maulls fans. You can also smoke them too. They're pretty damn versatile. Try some different ways and i bet u will like them all.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Salt, pepper, garlic, oinion, and a bit or green pepper corn...rubbed...gonna direct/indirect cook over about 3 hours...
Made a type of st louis bbq sauce...like mauls...then gonna coat them in last 30 min with sauce...
I did cut the fat and skin off steak...and I noticed the butcher cit them in half...might have been my fault...any ways lets see...

I slow smoke 250-275* to around 180 IT , flip just after the stall. You can't go wrong slow cooking, better than grilling which I did for years.

Salt, pepper, garlic, oinion, and a bit or green pepper corn...rubbed...gonna direct/indirect cook over about 3 hours...
Made a type of st louis bbq sauce...like mauls...then gonna coat them in last 30 min with sauce...
I did cut the fat and skin off steak...and I noticed the butcher cit them in half...might have been my fault...any ways lets see...

Our local butcher does pork chops approx 1".

We just grill them for 20 - 25 minutes on a low to medium until the bone starts to show.

My 6 year old boy cooked pork steak in a KidsQ comp, and here's what he (we) did. He took 4th place, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Marinate in a bbq sauce (75%) and apple juice (25%) mixture. Yes, I know it sounds backwards... my wife got the containers mixed up, but it worked.

Rub with your favorite rub (we used Plowboys Yardbird and 3 Eyez)

Smoke for a while (apple and cherry woods), then sear them off for the last few minutes. Sauce if you want - he did, pretty thinly, after the last flip while searing.

The ones we cooked were not 1 inch thick, so you'd have to figure out times and temps. The great thing about pork steak is that it is a virtual blank canvas. You can cook them a variety of different ways and they will turn out great. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your cooks!

I basically do what the feast article recommends, except I often skip the ham hock sauce and just brush with whatever sauce I've got. It's the only way I've found that makes decent pork steaks. Usually they are either drowned in sauce or overcooked.

I never cook any pork without brining them for a couple of hours in a salt solution, then salt, pepper, garlic and I cook them like I cook steak. Try it, you'll see taste the difference.

Smoked Pork Steaks & Sausage

I did these a month ago on my UDS. Smoked pork steaks about 3 hours around 275 - 285 F. Turn out great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
Back