Little Brown Eggs

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone else made a terra cotta smoker? Alton Brown's demonstration on Food Network inspired me to make a charcoal version using a couple planters, grill replacement parts, and some hardware.

Not me.
I did see an episode of Good Eats when he built one. Looked reasonable, but I had no need to make one.
Try one let us know how it works.

I saw the episode, but have never entertained the idea to do something similar.

Why not share your project and take some pictures to share with us. It may inspire someone else to try this as well, and maybe share additional ideas.

I saw that episode.. Never tried it though... Take pics and document the process for the rest of us... Have fun

I took some photos while my dad was helping me drill the holes through the terracotta to install the handles on the lid and bottom vent. I've written the instructions and will upload them when I get back home later.

Mine is for a charcoal model. Alton Brown's used an electric burner, which is a novel idea but burns out quick and poses a safety hazard.

I made one that lasted a few years and was actually pretty great. You do need to be careful in picking out pots that are wide enough on their bases to have the hot plate sit in low enough and also have some taper to the sides so the grill can rest in a good place. Also checking that the rims are flat and even so both pots properly mate up and don't leave any big air gaps. Used a hot plate from amazon, tried a few and settled in on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-34101-Proctor-Silex-Burner/dp/B000690WNU/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1408216523&sr=1-5&keywords=hot+plate"]Amazon.com: Proctor-Silex 34101 Fifth Burner: Electric Countertop Burners: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H4JJZy6mL.@@AMEPARAM@@41H4JJZy6mL[/ame]

It worked pretty good, basically set to max and never adjust again. It would never get over 225 (hard to get a perfect reading but was probably more in the 215-220 range I think) so it was fine, though a little more heat power out of it would have been nice. Made for some long cooks and stalls on big butts and briskets.

Used a double layer cake pan and big chunks of wood and that worked well. Need to dump ashes and add wood in the 2.5-3hr range.

It did turn out some really great meat and for the 75 dollar or so investment it was hard to beat. I didn't bother trying to drill holes for handles and that kind of stuff, the upper pot stayed cool enough to handle to take on and off. It worked ok but I wouldn't want to sink a ton of money and extra energy into one, better off trying to get an acorn or something on sale at that point.

It was a great intro in, and would be cool if you had some vacation spot where you wanted to leave a smoker you didn't have to worry about rusting or having much money in.
IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

456583_10150855319412911_1738058665_o.jpg

Found a couple other good inside pics. I'd often use a little disposable aluminum loaf pan and add water/juice/beer or whatever I felt like to keep a bit of extra moisture inside the cooker since there were some long cooktimes.
IMAG0100.jpg

Here you can see just the hot plate sitting nice and low inside.
IMAG0101.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos! :-D How do you remove the "acorn" lid without handles?

You bring up an excellent point about the seal between the lid and base. I used 3/4" pellet stove gasket material with my egg. It does a decent job of retaining the smoke and also holds the cooking grate in place.

I'd just grab it on either side and lift it off just like you'd normally lift it off. Cause of the ceramic it'd stay cool enough on the outside for that. Did you notch into the gasket for probe wires? I'd drop thru the top hole so I'd have to unplug them to take it off usually, was a bit of a pain.

I have on order a meat thermometer with a wire, so I will make a small notch in the gasket. My egg is powered by a cannibalized Weber Smokey Joe kettle bottom half and charcoal/wood chips. I should have some pictures tomorrow.

Part 2 of series of articles on barbecue I'm writing for the Montecristo Social Club includes a tutorial on building a Little Brown Egg. My design incorporated elements from three others.

These are component pieces.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

BRUCE’S “SMOKEY THE EGG” PARTS LIST

18.5” heavy-rimmed unglazed terra cotta planter
18” terra cotta low Italian bowl planter (http://www.koopmansgardenworks.com/product_p/lb-18.htm)
Weber Smokey Joe kettle grill
18” Weber kettle replacement cooking grate (made for a 22.5” grill)
Charbroil replacement grill thermometer (with 2-inch-long probe)
Two 6 ½” heavy duty door pulls
Five machine screws, nuts (size #12-24 x 1”), lock washers and fender washers (size 3/16”)
¾” pellet stove replacement gasket kit
Aluminum sheet metal
12” terra cotta saucer
Pyrex pie plate

CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: When drilling terra cotta, use a bit made for ceramics, drill slowly, and gradually pour a stream of water over the hole while drilling to prevent cracking. A 3/16” bit is required for installing the bottom vent control and door pulls, and a ¼” bit for the thermometer.

1. Make aluminum vent controls. Bend an L-shape strip for the top. For the bottom, cut a piece in the shape of a mailbox flag, ensuring the square is wide enough to cover the planter’s drain hole and the handle is about 15 inches long. Drill a hole in one corner of the square. I also put a layer of furnace tape along the rims of the two planters to protect against chipping.

ry%3D400

2. Install the bottom vent control. Turn the planter upside down and place the flag near the drain hole, ensuring it completely covers it when rotated into position. Drill and bolt into place. Turn the planter over, shim it on bricks or scrap lumber, and adjust the vent so the hole is completely covered. Make a mark on the handle where it touches the edge of the base. Adjust to the halfway open and fully open positions and make additional marks.

ry%3D400

3. Install the gasket. Measure enough material to cover the circumference of the planter rim and fashion a loop. Duct tape the ends together and tape in place on the rim. Ensure the gasket also covers the rim of the lid and adjust as necessary.

4. Assemble the innards. From the Smokey Joe, place the legs flat inside the base planter around the drain hole and top with the ash catcher. Open the vent on the bottom half of the kettle bowl, insert into the planter (it will settle one-third down), and add its two grates. The replacement cooking grate nestles inside the gasket and the lid completes the egg.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

5. Prepare the lid. Turn the bowl upside down and drill holes on the flat bottom for the door pulls and bolt them down. Drill another for the thermometer and insert it.

ry%3D400

Here's what the finished egg looks like. (The original Brinkman thermometer I bought was a dud and was replaced with a Charbroil.)

ry%3D400

Open the vents fully before using. Light charcoal inside the kettle bowl. When the flames subside, add wood chips (optional) and replace the kettle’s top grate. Add the saucer and Pyrex pan filled with water to provide indirect heat and moisture. Replace the cooking grate and lid, and allow the unit to get to temperature before adding food. Control the heat by opening or closing the bottom vent; the top vent should always be at least half open. If using the egg to bake pizza, omit the saucer and water pan and put a baking stone on the cooking grate.

Two weekends ago, the egg made its debut at my 20th anniversary party, hickory-smoking some eye of round roasts.

ry%3D400

Last edited:
I'm more interested in building a tandor oven...The little brown egg is intriguing, though I would prefer using charcoal

I'm more interested in building a tandor oven...The little brown egg is intriguing, though I would prefer using charcoal

I built mine to use charcoal and wood chips. I wanted the flavor and didn't want to play around with hooking up an electric burner.

What was your total $ in on it all?

Around $175. The pottery was about half the cost. I got the base planter at Home Depot for $36. The lid had to be special ordered from a supplier near Dayton, OH, and to $52 with shipping.

Back