First Brisket Help

Roadharley2

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Good news bad news post here.
I purchased a new Yoder YS640 Friday afternoon. What an awesome cooker. I ran it up to 350 degrees for a little over an hour Saturday morning and later Saturday afternoon smoked a whole chicken. It was good eating.
That was the good news part :)
Picked up a 13 lb packer brisket and Boston Butt Saturday afternoon with the intention of doing a low and slow overnight cook.
I injected the BB but only trimmed the brisket and placed both on the smoker at 9:30pm fat cap down on both. At 2am I wrapped both in foil, but did not check the temp on either. Maybe this was the first mistake.
At about 6am I placed temp probes in both. The probe in the brisket was placed in the thickest part of the flat. At that time the brisket temp was 176 and the BB was just a few degrees higher. At 10 am the BB temp was 200 and I pulled it placed it on a cookie sheet, still wrapped in foil, covered with a couple of thin dish towels and placed in the oven. The oven was room temp and off.
At 10:20 I pulled the brisket at a temp of 196. The temp was confirmed with my Thermopop. It was NOT what I would consider to be probe tender, but I needed to head to church and I didn't want to leave it for another hour in the smoker. As with the BB I placed it on a cookie sheet and placed in the now not so warm oven.
Now for the bad news. Got home from church 12:30 ish excited to taste some fantastic brisket.
Results -The BB was in my opinion a little overlooked, it was borderline mushy in some areas.
The brisket was a total pot roast. :-(
What should I have done differently?
Thanks
Mike

Did you vent for a few before the rest? If you moved to oven wrapped in foil never opening up it kept cooking.

What do you mean by pot roast? It was falling apart? .

I let it vent for about 5 minutes. I couldn't even slice it, it just fell apart.

Stop using that farkin foil! Braisin makes pot roast even that Bimbo Betty Croaker knows that. Butcher paper it breathes no steam build up no meat juices to braise the meat, just tender tasty moist BBQ smoky goodness. But it could be your new EBO too:p

You didn't vent it long enough to let the heat off. A brisket at 190°F will carryover up to as much as 10 degrees if you don't let it sit uncovered. And by sit, I mean at least 15 minutes, then you can cover it back up and let it rest. It will still hold temperature for a couple of hours easily.

I prefer paper or unwrapped myself, but, many folks cook with foil and do fine. Each technique requires a different approach. Foil does increase the likelihood of pot roast a lot.

Ok, understand your point that it was braised. But how could it get that over cooked without getting probe tender?

Because you didnt vent long enough so it cooked for another one hour plus.

Also as stated foil can do that.

Do you slice into immediately after unwrapping? You gotta give it a few before you slice too.

Carryover heat, when you are cooking large cuts of meat, the thermal mass of the meat at a high temperature can remain long after you remove the meat from the cooker. A 12 to 14 pound packer or butt, at a temperature of close to 200°F can keep that heat for well over an hour. In fact, what generally happens, is that it continues to climb, even unwrapped, for 10 to 15 minutes, then will very slowly lose the heat.

Even uncovered, a 12 pound brisket at 195°F will remain hot to the touch for over an hour. Add in the closed environment of the foil wrap, and you are looking at the brisket continuing to cook for that entire time that it remains over about 180°F. Could be two hours or more.

It rested about and hour and a half. I guess I'll give it another go, maybe with just a flat. The prices of a brisket are crazy.

@ Bludawg - it may be a EBO , but it's My EBO :grin:

Just chop it drown it in BBQ sauce no one will notice. Is it a pink EBO? if it aint a Pink one there lies the problem.:laugh:

Back