Here's my idea for baby backs...do you think it will work?

randidliyo

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Okay, I know the standard baby back smoking procedure is a 3-2-1, or maybe a 2-2-1. But, here's my problem and possible solution. I've done the 3-2-1 many time when I had the right sort of time. Mostly, it's been 3 hours on the smoker, two hours foiled in the oven and a last hour on the smoker before serving. This time, I need to serve them in the evening but I don't have the first few hours to get them started.

What do you folks think if I did this: I have five racks, I do the mustard and rub the evening before, then about 1:30 I put them in the over at about 200-225 to get them started, then when I get home at 3:30 or 4 I can take them out and smoke 'em a few more hours until they're done. That way they're ready at dinner time and i should get some of that smoky flavor. So, instead of a 3-2-1, it'll be more of a 2-3-1 (or so).

Thoughts? Am I the first to think of this?

TIA,
Randidliyo

Hi man, I think you are way over thinking this. Your plan may not work if you cook them in the oven first. The smoke does its thing in the beginning of the cook. Once the meat his a certain temp (160 I think) it won't take on any more smoke flavor.

For BBs I hit em with the rub put em on a cooker at 275ish and let em roll about 3-4 hours depending on thickness until they probe tender. I start check the color at 2 hours if they get too dark I'll wrap but at that temp only for a half hour or so.

they will not get much if any smoke that way. cook them at 300-325 on the smoker and they will only take 3-3.5 hours.

what is this wrap thing you speak of?:p

To answer your question- yes your method will work. Use half the amount of rub you'd usually use on the oven part. Apply rest of rub and apply a sugary q sauce for a semi charred glaze when you move to the smoker. Be careful they are going to be fall off the bone tender due to part one. If your careful and time it right your guest should see perfectly glazed ribs coming off the smoker that are fall off the bone tender. If they are fall apart cut ribs 3-5 bones each per plate (less shredding)

Hmm, well I DO want the smoke flavor because, well, that's the point of the smoker, right? Maybe I'll just do them at a higher temp than normal to make sure that they're done in time. What the highest temp you folks would suggest? I don't want to burn them or dry them out. I know I couldn't do a brisket at much of a higher temp, but maybe these baby backs are different.

R

275 is the new 225. Crank er up.

I have a buddy who cooks ribs wrapped in rhe oven then grills them off. They are good, not what i think of as bbq but juicy and tasty.

I abandoned a modified version of the 3-2-1 awhile ago and I haven't looked back. Now I crank em up to 275-285 and we're munching good ribs in 3-4 hrs. I don't miss the nuisance of pulling and slathering with brown sugar, honey, Parkay and wrapping. Now clean up is much easier since I don't have that sticky stuff dribbled all over the place. Also, friends and family can't really notice a flavor loss with the fast and hot method. Good luck....I'm sure they'll come out fine. :-D

May be too late to this party but... if you don't have time to cook them the day of, cook them the day before and reheat on the cooker the day of.

290 is where sugar burns if you have a sugary rub don't go passed that. I try to stay at 275. In my Akorn I get BBs done in 3 hours.

I'm with LMAJ and have done that quite often and they turn out just as good. Cooking the day before works well for me because I use a sugar based sauce that I put on at the end of the smoke. If they get a little loose during the smoke, time in the fridge tightens them up.

You can cook the ribs the night before and reheat with excellent results. Just take it slow when you reheat, I usually reheat in a 275° oven (or smoker). Cover the ribs in a disposable tinfoil tray and add a little apple juice/cider vinager for about an hour. Then take the ribs out of the tray and put 'em on the rack for about 20 minutes with a light brushing of sauce. Works for me every time.

I'd also second the suggestions to ditch the foil, or at the very least cut it back to 30 minutes tops. Good luck with the cook!

Back