No Smoke Flavor in Ribs

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The last three times I have cooked ribs I am not getting any smoke flavor in the ribs. I am cooking the 3 pack cryovac ribs from SAMS and they average about 2 lbs per rack. I take off the membrane and then smoke 2 hours, wrap 2 hours and then throw in a cooler for an hour. I am using a mixture of hickory and cherry. Any advise would be appreciated!

Two hours in the smoke just isn't enough time to give them much smoke flavor. If foiling is your desire have you considered 3-2-1 instead?

What cooker you using? How much smoke are you generating?

If you've done them successfully prior to these most recent three times, and have been consistent in time/temp/foil etc. the only other variables could be the ribs or the wood.

Two hours in the smoke just isn't enough time to give them much smoke flavor. If foiling is your desire have you considered 3-2-1 instead? What cooker you using? How much smoke are you generating?

I agree. 3 hours in the smoke. Also, I use straight Hickory.

If you've done them successfully prior to these most recent three times, and have been consistent in time/temp/foil etc. the only other variables could be the ribs or the wood.

I have had been successfull in the past that is why I am so confused. Also I am cooking them between 225 and 250

More info is definitely needed. I agree 2 hours in the smoke isn't nearly enough. I'd bump it to 3 hrs. then foil and back in the smoker for 1.5 hrs., then out of the foil and back in the smoker for 45 minutes. That's me because I don't like my ribs falling off the bone.

The 3-2-1 method is just a name. Times will vary depending on the type and size of the ribs. BB's take less time as a rule. If increasing the initial smoke time doesn't give you the smoke taste you want, then I'd increase the amount of smoking wood a bit. I don't think you will get any more smoke in your meat after 3 hours. I have always heard that after 3 hrs. meat cannot take any more smoke and will only take on a creosote taste after that, making a bitter and unpleasant taste.

I know you said Sams Ribs but are they possibly enhanced? Agree with 3 hours smoke. Any sort of sign of smoke ring?

Any sort of sign of smoke ring?

NONE that is another thing that is confusing me. I even kepted them on ice until the smoker was up to temp (trying to use the theory that the colder the meat the longer it will take smoke).Yesterday when I cooked I intentionally tried to add more wood for more smoke.

Thanks for all the replied I really do appreciate it.

I think sam's ribs, meaning IBP, are enhanced with at least ten percent brine. Something a lot of cooks do is cover the meat with so much rub, smoke has a hard time entering. I think River City is real close, I do my ribs with a little less time glazing or grill time. Also, most bullet users that I see winning in comps. use wet enough chunks that you notice all the extra smoke. Hope you figure it out, Steve.

Maybe you got bad wood!

For a long time I thought I didn't like pecan wood smoked food. Then I found out it was just the Pecan wood I was using.

Switch the wood and give it a try.

I think sam's ribs, meaning IBP, are enhanced with at least ten percent brine. Something a lot of cooks do is cover the meat with so much rub, smoke has a hard time entering. I think River City is real close, I do my ribs with a little less time glazing or grill time. Also, most bullet users that I see winning in comps. use wet enough chunks that you notice all the extra smoke. Hope you figure it out, Steve.

Steve thanks for the info it is much appreciated.

Switch the wood and give it a try.

Larry I am cooking agin tomorrow so I think I will try that. I have had the wood I use for a while. Thanks for the info it is much appreciated.

As far as I know those ribs you got are not enhanced but if they are you would,nt know it. I use them all the time due to their size. Sometimes, the racks are so big that they nood to cook for 7-8 hrs to get them to them to the proper tenderness. I feel that the length of time in the smoke is the cause of your dilemma.

You could also try them without foil, with longer in the smoke before you foil, change the wood, are you using chunks then try chips, or if you're using chips try pellet pouches.

I cook Sam's club spares for 6 - 7 hours, and their loin backs for 4 - 5 hours, I don't foil, I use a bullet, and I don't find them "not smokey enough".

I use the minion method and bury chunks of Apple, Cherry and Maple in amongst the coals. I used to always have pellets on hand, as when I started, I didn't have as good a wood supply as I do now.

When I rub ribs, I sprinkle it on like you would do on say a baked potato or a burger.
Just for taste and try not to drown it.

As far as I know those ribs you got are not enhanced but if they are you would,nt know it. I use them all the time due to their size. Sometimes, the racks are so big that they nood to cook for 7-8 hrs to get them to them to the proper tenderness. I feel that the length of time in the smoke is the cause of your dilemma.

I think you're right but they say on the product if they are. I do not think IBP makes a "enhanced version" that I know of.. certainly not a 3 packer.

Now, there can be one other contributor IN ADDITION to the wood and time. The amount of Salt in the rub. I used Neelys rub once which had no salt and had a hell of a time getting them to take smoke in my usual way. I had to smoke longer and not pan them as I usually do. Salt is a carrier of flavor...

I also incidentally REFUSE to de-skin with my usual rub. But that is my choice since I burn hotter and don't foil. I use the Weep method, which no one that foils would ever be able to see.

But it is true that if they ARE enhanced they don't take the smoke as well as the salt acts more like a block

Deskin, are you referring to taking the membrane off? Inquiring minds you know. I normally do not foil either but do take the membrane off.

Back