KCBS ToY Bonus Points Change

Rich Parker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea what do you think?

New Business

Mike Peters: I make the following motion: KCBS change TOY bonus points from a maximum 50 points for contests with 50 plus teams to a maximum of 35 points for contests with 35 and more teams.

This year, the average team count as of 12/1/14 was 38.79 while taking out the contests under 25 teams, International contests and the AR Open. Of the 427 contests, 85 of these had 50 or more teams (19%). Teams chasing points for TOY will often skip local contests that might not get 50 teams for maximum point benefit and travel. Teams that would not normally chase points might possibly cook additional contests because they would have an equitable chance to finish in the top 25 in TOY placings. Both of these should help contests from canceling due to a lack of teams.

This suggestion was brought to me by a cook team. After asking a number of other cooks, the consensus was that this was a great idea to help local contests, help some mid level teams cook more to take advantage of TOY monies while also sending a message to struggling organizers that the BOD is instituting changes that benefit not only organizers but their local teams as well.

In reviewing the current TOY overall status, there are only 6 teams of the top 25 that have placed in the top 25 in each of the 4 meat categories and overall. 8 teams have only one or no top 25 category calls. This change should also reward the consistency of a cook team in the overall TOY standings and bring the TOY numbers closer at the end of the year.

- See more at: http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=807#sthash.uVofDzgC.dpuf

Seems to me that if we are only interested in helping the teams that cook 35 or more contests, then just count your best 35 finishes....that way the truly most consistent team wins.:roll:

Sounds like an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

• How many teams actually change contests based on ToY bonus points? I suspect the answer is less than 3%.
  • Overall ToY rankings are not tied to category ToY. Mike's argument there is specious.
  • If KCBS wants to help smaller contest grow, drop the third rep requirement at 51 teams and move it to 76. A third rep can be a big expense that causes contests to cap events.
Edited to add
Teams chasing points for TOY will often skip local contests that might not get 50 teams for maximum point benefit and travel.
Is there any hard data to back this up?

Last edited:
Mike, I like the idea.

For what it's worth, the Grand Canyon State BBQ Association has a dynamic bonus point system in that our rules allow the maximum number of bonus points to change from year to year. What we do is take all the contests within our points race for the previous two years and get a total combined team count. We divide that number by the total number of contests held within our points race over the previous two years. Whatever that average number turns out to be is the maximum bonus points allowed for the next season.

This has worked well for us.

Lowering the bonus points level is just going to make it easier for ToY teams to find contests to cook. Which means they will get to drop more contests. Which means it will be more likely to have ties and teams inching closer to the perfect score.

They should probably be raising the bonus points so that you get great separation in the teams. make the cutout 75 teams.

If the goal is to help local contests survive and thrive there are probably 100's of better ideas that would directly impact those contests.

Maybe waive the KCBS fees for first year contests. That would directly help a first year contest survive. A direct and immediate impacts as opposed to trying to change the behavior of BBQ teams.

This is oversimplified but I always thought the total # of points possible should be the total # of teams competing and turning in 4 categories. If the contest has 38 teams and you win GC you get 38 points. RGC = 37 points, and so on until the last place team gets 1 point. You win the AR Open you get around 450-500 points.

This is oversimplified but I always thought the total # of points possible should be the total # of teams competing and turning in 4 categories. If the contest has 38 teams and you win GC you get 38 points. RGC = 37 points, and so on until the last place team gets 1 point. You win the AR Open you get around 450-500 points.

Yes, but what about all the teams that don't cook the AR Open? Why should one contest have that much power in the final outcome of ToY? Yeah, it's a big, show. I get that. But, at the end of the day, it is still just one contest.

Why should it not? Compare it to the NFL. They put 100% on just 1 game/contest. Same for MLB, NHL, and so on. Most major pro sports have 1 or just a few contests that count considerably more towards determining which is the best team for the year. At least in BBQ all are able to compete in the AROpen, unlike the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc.

Why should it not? Compare it to the NFL. They put 100% on just 1 game/contest. Same for MLB, NHL, and so on. Most major pro sports have 1 or just a few contests that count considerably more towards determining which is the best team for the year. At least in BBQ all are able to compete in the AROpen, unlike the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc.
I think this leave out the point that the teams that get to said championships had to have a consistent season to get there. You can't win the super bowl unless you make the playoffs first.

but, at the ARO, you got to be good, AND lucky.

I think this leave out the point that the teams that get to said championships had to have a consistent season to get there. You can't win the super bowl unless you make the playoffs first.
Anyone can enter the AR Open, so there's a possible 500 or so points up for grabs for any team in the country. For the Invitational you must have a qualifying GC to enter and there are 100 or so points up for grabs. But yeah to be in the running for TOY you have to be consistently good.

And yes luck figures into it for sure. I think there is a certain amount of luck in many sports.

Anyone can enter the AR Open, so there's a possible 500 or so points up for grabs for any team in the country. For the Invitational you must have a qualifying GC to enter and there are 100 or so points up for grabs. But yeah to be in the running for TOY you have to be consistently good.

And yes luck figures into it for sure. I think there is a certain amount of luck in many sports.

I'm surprised they allow points from an invitational to be considered into the ToY rankings ... !

Rub, in all those sports leagues you mention, a regular season win is worth a single win: no more, no less. The addition of bonus points invalidates the argument because now a single contest win at a 400-500 bonus point event is worth as much as 1-2 addition wins. Clearly not a level playing field if you miss the Royal. No contest should have that much power, in my opinion.

The AR Open is not a Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc. event because it is an open event. You don't have to do anything special to compete in it other than pay the associated fees. (This is not to say that the event is not prestigious, special, etc. Just categorizing it based on the context of the discussion.)

Under this system winning the open would be the equivalent of winning 12-15 GC's using the numbers Mike Peters quoted where the average number of teams at a contest is 38.

Under this system winning the open would be the equivalent of winning 12-15 GC's using the numbers Mike Peters quoted where the average number of teams at a contest is 38.

That is what I was also trying to say in my last post but you used much better words and were much clearer. Thank you!

Average number of teams at a contest is not 38.

just FYI.

So just what is your number Dawg?

the average team count as of 12/1/14 was 38.79 while taking out the contests under 25 teams, International contests and the AR Open

So the average number of teams at a contest is not 38.79. That is the average of the subset of contests that was cherry picked by this person for their own purpose.

It immediately got picked up as the average number of teams per contests, which it is not. I would guess that the average number of teams per contest is probably closer to 30 because there are a lot of contests with less than 25 teams and only 1 AR Open to skew the number higher.

Back