• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

LVQuefest allentown pa non payment

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If a rule infraction happened at this contest it would be 10 pages long with everybody's 2 cents. The organizer stiffs an entire field of competitors and barely a word is spoken. How about kcbs responsibility for sanctioning a contest that advertised $10k in prize money . unreal.

That's not uncommon, a rule infraction and a huge article makes them look good. If they don't talk about things that make them look bad then it will go away. I hope they step up and take care of the problem.

I've been biting my lip. We won the contest. I've been trying to be civil about it but it's getting harder. The organizer is being responsive but the responses are always that he doesn't have the money. I probably wouldn't care if I was laying on my yacht somewhere but it's a lot of money and this waiting is getting very old.

I've been biting my lip. We won the contest. I've been trying to be civil about it but it's getting harder. The organizer is being responsive but the responses are always that he doesn't have the money. I probably wouldn't care if I was laying on my yacht somewhere but it's a lot of money and this waiting is getting very old.

Has the farker said why he doesn't have the money?

What happened to the monies from the entry fees???

sorry.. as an organizer myself.. the prize pool should be held separate and apart from all else.. all our entry fees go into a separate fund and remain untouched except for the 12$ per team KCBS fee(or is it 17). No excuse for this at all.

Screwing the team should ensure its a final year for the comp.. and the organizer.

If a rule infraction happened at this contest it would be 10 pages long with everybody's 2 cents. The organizer stiffs an entire field of competitors and barely a word is spoken. How about kcbs responsibility for sanctioning a contest that advertised $10k in prize money . unreal.

Same thing happened to me and several others at the Nashville competition in August. I informed KCBS right away, and they have been in contact with the organizer several times to get people paid. From what I understand, they have even threatened legal action. If you are not sure whether KCBS is aware of it, let them know.

Has the farker said why he doesn't have the money?

What happened to the monies from the entry fees???

Based on my math he collected at least $9K in entry fees alone. He tried to make it a big event but got very little public. At the awards we were told that we had to go to his trailer to get our checks. We were all wandering around the fairgrounds like fools until we finally found him. He emerged from the trailer and announced that he would mail them to us within three days. Here we are six weeks later.

It's a shame because it was a pretty good contest. If he takes care of this soon we would probably go back because we did have a lot of fun.

I'm glad to see we haven't all forgotten about this. My teams winnings were earmarked for charity so this double-dog not cool.

I'm glad to see we haven't all forgotten about this. My teams winnings were earmarked for charity so this double-dog not cool.

North State BBQ Championships also haven't paid winners for series. Just thought CalBQue should be aware.

It's sad when organizers don't hold up their end of the bargain :sad:

sled? yawn....

we are screwed, he isnt going to pay and kcbs doesn't care.

Personally i can not believe anyone would go back if thier is a 2nd, even if he pays at this point, but i guess if i won it might be different.

lesson learned, this really is a gamble from judging to getting awards if your fortunate to get any it doesn't mean you get the money....

This crap is happening wayyyy too much. Didn't KCBS used to require organizers to have a guarantee on the prize money?

Fortunately, I was not at this contest and I hate it for you guys that are owed a check.

KCBS should have to indemnify themselves if they are sanctioning an event. They should have to buy a bond that covers the announced prize structure and when someone doesn't pay like this knucklehead then KCBS should have to pay through the bond. Once that happens a few times KCBS will start looking a little closer at who and what contests they sanction.

KCBS puts absolutely NO skin in the game, but they are the first ones that want their cut when a contest organizes. I might get a lot of blow back from BOD people and reps on that statement, but they have to show me where it is a false statement. Start bonding contests that you put your name on KCBS! It is that simple!

Being new to the comp thing, I have a question. I've read several of these posts about organizers not paying. Has anyone sued the organizer? Is it possible to do that? Just wondering if there are laws in certain areas that would not allow someone to sue for their winnings in a contest.

I am glad we had another engagement and did not attend this event. Otherwise, we would have been there. If it were me, I would contact the District Attorney in Lehigh County and bypass everyone else including KCBS. I’m truly sorry all you guys got screwed. That really sucks. To me, this falls on the lines of fraud and should be addressed and have this guy thrown in jail. Screw him.

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact,(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

Here you go: http://www.lehighcounty.org/departments/districtattorney/tabid/542/default.aspx

Make the call.

Go to the town hall where this person lives and find out their personal property is house address, car etc and put a lien on all of it and immediately start foreclosure watch how quickly you get paid, just my opinion

First of all, let me say that not paying the money that teams are owed is BS and should be qualified as theft or fraud, like mentioned above.

I've only done a couple of KCBS contests, but my teammate and I have been lucky enough to take home some money at each. Both times we have gotten an envelope with cash. I understand that an organizer might not like the liability of having that much cash laying around, but why don't more contests do that? Is it possible to email organizers in advance and ask if they will be paying with cash or check? Maybe this is my lack of experience talking, but I would think that organizers just handing out envelopes of real money would help prevent this crap from happening in the future.

Fortunately, I was not at this contest and I hate it for you guys that are owed a check.

KCBS should have to indemnify themselves if they are sanctioning an event. They should have to buy a bond that covers the announced prize structure and when someone doesn't pay like this knucklehead then KCBS should have to pay through the bond. Once that happens a few times KCBS will start looking a little closer at who and what contests they sanction.

KCBS puts absolutely NO skin in the game, but they are the first ones that want their cut when a contest organizes. I might get a lot of blow back from BOD people and reps on that statement, but they have to show me where it is a false statement. Start bonding contests that you put your name on KCBS! It is that simple!

I could not agree more. I think KCB$ should make good on the prize money for the sanctioned event, then they can fight it out with the organizer. I have pretty much only been cooking KCBS contests for a while now because it was my expectation that their sanctioning would protect me from BS like this. Obviously this still has to play out but I'm not really getting the sense that they are working very hard to resolve this.

Might not be a bad idea for KCBS to run a credit check on organizers before jumping two feet in bed with them and letting them screw dozens of people.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
This crap is happening wayyyy too much. Didn't KCBS used to require organizers to have a guarantee on the prize money?
They did until a couple of years ago when a contest in/near St.Louis defaulted. KCBS's solution was to no longer require a guarantee.

Back