Tuning Plates. Getting Even(ish) Temps on an Offset

Yeah very helpful, my next addition. Thanks SmittyJonz

Pit temps

Hi All Don't know IF this helps or matters.
I also had a problem with temps across the cooking grates. I gave up trying to get even temps, and now I like it that way, cause I have 3 cooking zones.
Hot n Fast by the firebox, medium in the middle, and Low n Slooooow at the far end.
Thanks DanB

Yep, you do have to experiment. I've actually got two plate settings. One for small amounts of meat, Like two or three briskets and another for large amounts of meat, like 22 or so butts, or a combination there of..

Hi All Don't know IF this helps or matters.
I also had a problem with temps across the cooking grates. I gave up trying to get even temps, and now I like it that way, cause I have 3 cooking zones.
Hot n Fast by the firebox, medium in the middle, and Low n Slooooow at the far end.
Thanks DanB

Some of that depends on the size of the pit and also how big of a fire you build. Small clean fires with a nice bed of coals works best. Also, generally butting the first plate against the baffle is the best approach..

I have 5 plates just like in the video. I keep the first 3 tight,90% of the time and adjust the last two. I can keep my brinkmann within 10* end to end. Once the fire has settled in and you have your "sweet spot",adjust and they hold.

I'm glad to see you bump this...I was wondering myself which would be better? convection plate or tuning plates? I would think the convection plate would be an easier solution but I was wondering if you could fine-tune better with the tuning plates?
What is everyone's thoughts?

I've used everything from a cast iron frying pan to a cake pan to a pie tin and a pizza stone and a host of other things to regulate heat and move it where I want.
Depends on what your cooking.

Back