• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice on dual probe thermometer & akorn pizza stone

Gripes81

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've done a little research and don't really know which one to get. I've read on the maverick et-733 and 73(I think) and the reviews are mixed. So I ask you brethren, what's a good reliable probe that works as advertised for a decent price. Additionally I'm getting an akorn smoker for Christmas and wanted to have a pizza stone/heat deflector ordered for it ahead of time and wanted suggestions on whether to get the one from char-broil or if there are other better options. I'm very excited about having a cooker as versatile as a kamado and want to have the tools to make it really enjoyable so any advice would be appreciated...thank you

I went with the maverick 732. For my Akorn I got the weber charcoal grate for the 22.5 kettle and it fits the spot where the Akorn stone goes. Then placed a cheap aluminum pizza pan as a diffuser. Also use a couple fire bricks for added thermal mass/diffuser.

I went with the maverick 732. For my Akorn I got the weber charcoal grate for the 22.5 kettle and it fits the spot where the Akorn stone goes. Then placed a cheap aluminum pizza pan as a diffuser. Also use a couple fire bricks for added thermal mass/diffuser.

This is an interesting idea because you have a lower grate that you can use for a great sear!

I'm one of the ones where my Maverick remote would not stay working, so I gave up using the remote part. Actually gave the thing away. Back to the Acorn, I went with the 17 inch Weber grate and cheap pizza pan as a deflector. I added 3 inches of expanded metal to the edge of the grate to make removing/containing the coals much easier. The 15 inch pizza pan fits inside, some guys use a 16 inch pan, I found that blocked to much air flow for my style cooking. Your choice. I also made a basket for the Acorn coal grate which again for me helps when removing the coals to clean and refill. Plenty of room for any long smoke you would want to do. I also made my own S.S. main grate with handles for easy removal. For me I do not care for cast iron, heavy and a PIA to maintain. You should be able to see the pizza pan under the main grate. Another 17 inch grate with 4 inch carriage bolts for legs works great when the swing grate is a bit too small to handle a lot of chicken parts/monks etc. Just a few of my mods if your interested.

https://imageshack.com/i/mjb0y5j

I forgot to mention about when cooking pizza, most use either bricks or like my extension grate to get the pizza up about 4 inches higher into the dome so the top of the pizza cooks about the same as the bottom of the pizza. Some prefer a pizza stone, some of us just use the pizza pans with the air holes. This is also using the deflector on the 17 inch Weber grate. You will have to experiment to see what you like better. If you don't raise the pizza higher in the dome you will need to add either a cast iron pan or another stone on the swing grate to radiate heat back down to get the top of the pizza to cook as quick as the bottom. In my experience.

Like others I've added the Weber charcoal grate but I'm using a round cast iron griddle from Academy Sports for the diffuser and even add a deep dish pizza pan on top of it for a drip pan on long cooks.

While I haven't done any pizza cooks yet I have an eye on kiln shelves for a pizza stone in the future. Same material as many of the high priced pizza stones from cooking stores at much cheaper prices.

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

I have had the ET-733 for almost a year now and have had no issues with it. The probes need a little care, but other than it works great for what I want it to do. It lets me know if the pit is within 25* of my target temp and when my meat gets close to it's target IT.

Thx for the replies, I decided to try the 732 to see how it works. Still undecided on a diffuser, anyone try the actual charbroil stone that's made for the akorn? I'll have to look at some ideas to figure out how to raise the pizza up it sounds like...o well, I'm looking forward to working out the kinks on this whole Komodo thing:biggrin1:

Still undecided on a diffuser, anyone try the actual charbroil stone that's made for the akorn? I'm looking forward to working out the kinks on this whole Komodo thing:biggrin1:

You might want to check out the Kamado Guru site that has a section just about Acorn. There have been more than half of the pizza stone owners where they cracked, a lot of guys go to other pizza stones. Just a note, if you use a stone, I found the bottom of every pizza after the first one would burn before the top could cook due to the high temps, but I'm no expert. That is why I use the cheap pans, for me, much easier to remove each pizza and slide in another pizza on a cold pan.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/18-char-griller-akorn-kamado-king-griller/

Back