Smoked and vacuum packed it

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I smoked a pastrami and a few full racks of beef plate ribs.

I made so much that I literally vacuum packed a 5 lb uncut pastrami while still hot and 1 rack of beef ribs taken off the bones and still warm when I packed it. They when right into the fridge and today I put them into the freezer. Are they still good ? Hope they are safe to eat it's only been since Sunday.

Thanks everyone

Dunno if they are safe to eat or not. When I vacuum seal hot foods I flash cool them in a sink of ice water.

Now I think about it they weren't really hot , warm at best. I was planing on packing right off the smoker but never did. The ribs were in cooler for 4hrs and the pastrami foiled on counter.

You're probably ok. But for the future, you should consider flash-cooling in an ice bath like CT-Mike does before parking big hunks of meat in your refrigerator or freezer. If you stick a hot hunk of meat in your refrigerator, it's going to lower the temp of your refrigerator overall and you risk spoilage of other perishables in your refrigerator. Since the temp of the refrigerator is now higher, it will in turn take longer to cool down your hunk of meat...and your meat potentially stays in the dangerzone for longer...which exponentially increases bacterial growth if it's going to happen.

Back