Sous vide questions

Hornnumb2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just got mine for christmas and was looking at the recipes in the app. I have a couple of questions. Most of the hamburger recipes have them cooking at 140ish, is that even safe? Secondly there are so many recipes for drinks, cookies and desert type stuff, isn't that taking the long way around using the sous vide instead of tradition cooking method? Thanks Michael

Do some research on sous vide time and temp laws. Time AND temp is key there. At 165, most bacteria is killed almost instantly. At 140, most bacteria can be killed, but you must hold it at that temp for longer.

For chicken (because I have it handy), you get the same equivalent level of lethality for bacteria at if the product is cooked to and held for the following temp and times 140*/12 minutes, 145*/4 minutes, and 160*/0 minutes.

For your second question, you just need to find what works for you. I'm still working out a workflow that works for me with my sous vide cooker, and I will be testing a lot of stuff out over the next several weeks.

I will definitely try fast infusing liquor using my cooker. If that works, I'll be happy. Desserts seem a little weird, but I'll give them a try to see if they are faster or better than traditional methods.

This is the best S/V resource I have found. https://www.facebook.com/groups/272128179509149/ If you don't have facebook try here, (it's down at the moment) sousvideresources.com

I joined that group and then unjoined within one minute. The first post I saw was people (including the admin of the page) attacking and insulting someone for asking a simple question. They're not the kind of people I would choose to associate with.

I joined that group and then unjoined within one minute. The first post I saw was people (including the admin of the page) attacking and insulting someone for asking a simple question. They're not the kind of people I would choose to associate with.

I joined and unjoined two other BBQ sites for the same reason. Either they ignored my question, or I got ragged on about it.

I joined and unjoined two other BBQ sites for the same reason. Either they ignored my question, or I got ragged on about it.

That's why I'm here. There's one other bbq site I have in my bookmarks, but I very rarely visit there. There's nothing wrong with it or the people, I just think this place is run a little better. Which is also why this is the only place that gets a paid subscription from me.

Back