Help pick out a new cooker

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Debating on a pellet pooper or a weber E330 propane grill. This will replace my current gas grill. I will still have a performer and a WSM so I have charcoal covered. What should I do?!??!?

I have an $850 budget from Christmas. Also ace hardware has the weber for 699.00 does anyone know of coupons for Ace that might work to reduce that a little more?

Given the chance, I would get a pellet smoker/grill such as a Yoder or Memphis due to their flexibility (smoke/grill). You can add Grill Grates to the Yoder to help give you more heat concentration if you like.

Flip side, gas is easier to "deal with" if you aren't a fan of electricity and all that entails. Also, are you able to purchase pellets locally? If not, then cost of having them shipped may sway your decision. With all that said, sometimes you just don't want added smoke flavor, so a gasser may be up your alley. I for one, like options.

That same Weber at Home Depot costs less by me (Las Vegas), so you may want to check there as well, for a better deal.

Hands-down go pellet. you get "real" wood smoke, can go low and slow, and sear if you get the right one.

You will be a tad limited based on the budget, but you should be able to find one that can do both searing and low n slow with the equivalent convenience of gas.

I love my Cookshack FPG-500, and I've cooked from 220 to 900 with it.

... With all that said, sometimes you just don't want added smoke flavor, so a gasser may be up your alley. I for one, like options...

One thing worth mentioning, is that at high temps there is virtually no smoke due to how cleanly pellets burn at high temp.

While i love my yoder, i think i like my gasser more. If your current gasser doesn't work then go that route. If its stilll hanging on go with a pellet. Rectec is pretty close to your price

If you can't (won't) throw in a few hundred more for a quality pellet grill like a Yoder or Blaz-N Grill then you will be better off with the Weber gasser. I read about issues with the pellet poopers in your budget a lot on here and other places.

Personally I still think you should give a hard look to the Broil King Baron line of gassers. They are almost identical to the Webers but at a lower price point. They have more BTU's than the comparable Webers and parts are readily available. I had the money to but the E330 a couple years ago and opted for the Broil King after looking hard at both as well as several others.

Stay away from the new Webers. Gone waaay down hill. The Genesis models are now made in China. If you want a propane grill, I recommend something from Broil King. Made in either the USA or Canada (they have two plants) and well are well made. Having said that, the Yoder would be my choice.

Weber Genesis....I have a 2 burner Weber Spirit and that thing is great so I can only imagine how good the higher end models are...

I love cooking gadgets, especially grills. If given the choice between pellet grill or gasser, and I have a separate smoker already? Then the gasser wins hands down.

I lost the pellet love after an electrical issue. Great cooking machines, but the electronics seem to add to the things in my head and there's limited space up there as is. I gave my Rec Tec away after it sat under a cover unused for 4 months. Still use the gasser regularly for mid week last minute cooks.

Consider getting a used weber, cl, and rebuilding it. Get a great grill and save a lot of money

BTW Craig you and Erik got me started in this great place many moons ago. Y'all need to stop in more often. BBQ Brethren is better now than it's ever been.

It's a great site. If they still do PGBBQ up in dayton you should go. Great way to meet some brethren face to face.

thanks everyone. I just couldn't pass on the weber genesis e330. Once I saw them in person the price wasn't different enough to beat the customer service I have had from weber over the years.

Back